Sign in to follow this  
daisyjewel

Fake Proof of Payments

daisyjewel

Hi everyone... just to warn all sellers to be very careful. I got caught out badly last week because I let my guard down. As well as selling on bidorbuy I have my own website. A very pleasant sounding youngish lady placed an order and then phoned and me had a very long and friendly chat to me. She said she would send me a proof of payment and asked when I would send her order. I completely let my guard down because she sounded so friendly and sweet. So I said if she sent the proof through I would send the parcel that day. She sent me a proof of payment from standard bank -- I bank with FNB. I sent the parcel then and there... a few days went past and I wondered what had happened to the money as it was not in my account. I phoned standard bank and it turned out it was a fake proof... it looked exactly like the real thing! I have now lost R1200 because of being too trusting... so I will not be sending out any orders based on a proof of payment again... I am just sharing this experience with my fellow bob sellers as I am sure this will not be this devious woman's first or last attempt to rip off people who trade online ... and please be very careful.... I have learnt an expensive lesson and I hope I can save someone else having to pay to learn it is as well

mellowred

Sorry to hear about your loss Daisy.

Unfortunately, we have to keep in mind that for a conman to be really successful, he/she has to be charming. But is is so easy when you are honest to trust a friendly voice.

Do you have any way of catching her?

RISadler

If someone sends you a "proof of payment" and you do not want to wait for the money to clear, then telephone the bank from which the payment was made, give them the reference number and they'll tell you immediately whether it is a legit transaction or not.

SProducts

Sorry for that, the best way is to wait for the funds to clear. I can understand as most buyers would be nice and you just want to keep them happy.

Sipho

daisyjewel

Thanks everyone.. like I say I thought I was pretty aware of being scammed but this one really caught me by suprise. Anyway - I know now to phone the bank or wait ... @ mellow... we have the IP address from the order... but I guess they used a fake name and phone number and an address is also tricky to track... I am going to try ... but it is not too easy... anyway... just hope other people don't get caught out... and I hope that "sweet" young lady is enjoying her ill-gotten gains

Guest Guest

Hi there Daisy, have you tried to phone SAPO to get them to send back the parcel? It happened to me and I got sapo to return the parcel before it was delivered...

Worth a shot...

daisyjewel

Hi Mediatech -- I offer free courier deliery with large orders so she got it overnight... the problem is I think she phoned them and got it delivered to a different address to what she gave me -- and no one has a record of exactly where that was

koekies63

never trust anyone that is very friendly and talks to much, if they where not so smooth with the mouth they wouldn't make such smooth operators

DestinysAngels

:huh:No wonder i battle to sell my pups, i talk too much when people view them, i only sell to people i trust, but looks like people are suspicious when you talk so much and that is one of my downfalls. That's why i like BOB, minimum contact and minimum speach, e-mail rather that talk, my hubby has a wonderfull saying that he gave to me at one stage "Verbal Diarrhea" i did not like it at first, but when i thought about it i realized, i talk a lot of bull....! Not nice for my ego though, LOL, i am trying to improve but it's not working!

daisyjewel

Hey Mari .... you are a lovely friendly person... I know I talk too much too ... I think that I find long gaps of silence awkward so I tend to fill them with words -- LOL!

@Koekie -- I do agree that a good con-person has to be a good talker... anyway I hope I have learnt this lesson... it will have to go down in the budget as fees for the school of life :rolleyes:

Miss Jewels

Hi Angela. Oh No! This is so sad...but it's the world we live in today., I sold some goods on BoB and the buyer verbally attacked me when I explained I will have to wait for the payment to clear before posting out his parcel. His immediate words were "ek's nie 'n skelm nie" and why must he send proof of payment if I don't send the goods immediately. I just wasted his paper! Your case is the perfect example of why we wait for payment to clear. No matter how sweet the person on the other end is. You just can't take chances anymore.

mellowred

I get annoyed when people kick up a fuss about basic precautions against being ripped off.

I would never assume someone was suspicious of me personally just because they want to wait for payment to appear. But then again ... I have nothing to hide :whistling:.

daisyjewel

Thanks Cheryl, I know -- I really hate to come across as suspicious and untrusting of my valued customers -- but one does have to be careful... I am realising that it is not just buyers who must be careful when trading online but sellers too.