Sign in to follow this  
jphotography

COmputer for my photography work

jphotography    10
jphotography

I need to upgrade my pc, currently I am using my laptop and found the screen a bit small. I did buy a new screen but my internals needs an upgrade, so I am looking for someone who can supply me with a NEW pc box only. I must have the following specs. As I am using ps CS 5 and I am opening at least 500 photos at a time, it will need to be big thing! Atleast 3 or 4gb memory with a 1tb hard drive is needed. Then most importantly I will need wifi and bluetooth in the box aswell. Must have dvd writer in, and USB ports. I will need windows 7 with that aswell, and if possible a nice quotation and invoice system, not pastel anything else besides pastel. I currently use pastel and I want to change the format completely. Wacom tool needed aswell

Will need to be in Gauteng I will collect the box, won't trust the postman with it :rolleyes:

Edited by jphotography

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
I need to upgrade my pc, currently I am using my laptop and found the screen a bit small. I did buy a new screen but my internals needs an upgrade, so I am looking for someone who can supply me with a NEW pc box only. I must have the following specs. As I am using ps CS 5 and I am opening at least 500 photos at a time, it will need to be big thing! Atleast 3 or 4gb memory with a 1tb hard drive is needed. Then most importantly I will need wifi and bluetooth in the box aswell. Must have dvd writer in, and USB ports. I will need windows 7 with that aswell, and if possible a nice quotation and invoice system, not pastel anything else besides pastel. I currently use pastel and I want to change the format completely. Wacom tool needed aswell

Will need to be in Gauteng I will collect the box, won't trust the postman with it :rolleyes:

I Got wacom tool and the box 4gb ram 1TB HDD, i can list it for you here but currently dont accept collections my courier is fedex.. dont knw if u trust the postman:rolleyes: haha

qball    10
qball

please be wary of new users offering such goods on the forum, this user has been blacklisted, he is not a legitimate seller.

jphotography    10
jphotography

Thank you qball :) That is also a reason why I would like to collect :) I know we have some computer boffins on here.

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

Hi

Have sent you a PM. Should you be interested, we will do the deal on BOB.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Well, here's my input... You have two routes: off-the-shelf or custom-built.

Apart from Toshiba laptops and Dell desktops (in a corporate environment), I'm not a fan of off-the-shelf computers.

So, for a custom-built system, I'd make sure of the following:

• Processor and mainboard must both be made by Intel (make sure the 'board is actually manufactured by Intel and not just using their chipsets);
  • Pick a 'board with onboard SATA RAID1 and buy two hard disk of the same size from different manufacturers (Seagate being one, WDC not being the other one.) Configure the disks into a RAID1 array;
  • Buy a third hard disk of the same size as above (preferably a Seagate) and configure this as your daily backup drive (and continue to backup to DVD's regularly);
  • Install quality memory from a reputable manufacturer, like Kingston or Corsair;
  • Make sure that the onboard graphics does not get automatically disabled when you install a second graphics card;
  • Buy a good quality case to put it all in, and add some extra beefy fans.

Well, that's my (useless and paranoid) contribution. Do post the specifications of the intended system, so we can kibbitz. (Or PM me.)

jacque31    10
jacque31
Well, here's my input... You have two routes: off-the-shelf or custom-built.

Apart from Toshiba laptops and Dell desktops (in a corporate environment), I'm not a fan of off-the-shelf computers.

So, for a custom-built system, I'd make sure of the following:

• Processor and mainboard must both be made by Intel (make sure the 'board is actually manufactured by Intel and not just using their chipsets);
  • Pick a 'board with onboard SATA RAID1 and buy two hard disk of the same size from different manufacturers (Seagate being one, WDC not being the other one.) Configure the disks into a RAID1 array;
  • Buy a third hard disk of the same size as above (preferably a Seagate) and configure this as your daily backup drive (and continue to backup to DVD's regularly);
  • Install quality memory from a reputable manufacturer, like Kingston or Corsair;
  • Make sure that the onboard graphics does not get automatically disabled when you install a second graphics card;
  • Buy a good quality case to put it all in, and add some extra beefy fans.

Well, that's my (useless and paranoid) contribution. Do post the specifications of the intended system, so we can kibbitz. (Or PM me.)

Hi RISadler - ok now for my useless information

As for the CPU I agree Intel - the motherboard Gigabyte & MSI is way better than Intel boards.

The raid 1 suggestion isn't a bad idea, but for home use isn't really necessary - normal back-ups will do nicely.

Memory I agree with.

About the comment you made about the on-board graphics, to make sure it isn't disabled when a graphics card is installed. That doesn't really matter as you can't use both at once. You can however use two graphics cards together(crossfire), but when you have a graphics card installed you PC do not use both.

Good case yes, buy one 120mm fan instead of 2 small ones. Moves more air and is a little bit quieter.

Anyway that's my useless input. Let us know when you're starting the assembly :wink:

RISadler    10
RISadler

jacque31, not to start anything, but I disagree with some of your disagree...

The raid 1 suggestion isn't a bad idea, but for home use isn't really necessary - normal back-ups will do nicely.

This system will be used for photographic processing. Yes, you MUST backup to DVD's, but it is much nicer and easier to have all your photographs available at the click of the mouse.

RAID1 makes it possible to breeze through a hard drive failure. Just pop in the new drive and it rebuilds while you work. Practically zero downtime and for jphotography time is money.

The third hard disk is a backup to the RAID1 system and if you trust your DVD's then it might not be entirely necessary. It also makes it possible for, in case the whole RAID1 array croaks, for jphotography to rent/borrow a PC, pop in the third disk and have all her data readily available.

I'm just overly paranoid when it comes to my data. :sneaky:

About the comment you made about the on-board graphics, to make sure it isn't disabled when a graphics card is installed. That doesn't really matter as you can't use both at once. You can however use two graphics cards together(crossfire), but when you have a graphics card installed you PC do not use both.

In this situation you use both cards/chips at the same time by attaching two monitors. Remember that this isn't a gaming rig, but a photographic workstation. The onboard graphics chip can handle this type of work easily, but a second (and sometimes third) monitor can really boost productivity - email/forum/billing on one monitor, thumbnails of latest shoot on second, and photo being edited on third. :nuts:

oryxza    10
oryxza

Just my 2c worth of input on this.

A decent motherboard for this situation may not even have onboard graphics.

In fact I would select a motherboard without onboard graphics and use a graphics card that can handle multiple displays.

jacque31    10
jacque31
jacque31, not to start anything, but I disagree with some of your disagree...

This system will be used for photographic processing. Yes, you MUST backup to DVD's, but it is much nicer and easier to have all your photographs available at the click of the mouse.

RAID1 makes it possible to breeze through a hard drive failure. Just pop in the new drive and it rebuilds while you work. Practically zero downtime and for jphotography time is money.

The third hard disk is a backup to the RAID1 system and if you trust your DVD's then it might not be entirely necessary. It also makes it possible for, in case the whole RAID1 array croaks, for jphotography to rent/borrow a PC, pop in the third disk and have all her data readily available.

I'm just overly paranoid when it comes to my data. :sneaky:

In this situation you use both cards/chips at the same time by attaching two monitors. Remember that this isn't a gaming rig, but a photographic workstation. The onboard graphics chip can handle this type of work easily, but a second (and sometimes third) monitor can really boost productivity - email/forum/billing on one monitor, thumbnails of latest shoot on second, and photo being edited on third. :nuts:

No problem if you disagree - always nice to hear other people's ideas and discuss things (after all it's a discussion board :wink:)

Well okay the Raid I never disagreed with - like I said it's not a bad idea.

The graphics card yes you are right, but I thought about only 1 monitor is being used (which in that case would be useless)

Just my 2c worth of input on this.

In fact I would select a motherboard without onboard graphics and use a graphics card that can handle multiple displays.

Yip, if this rig is so important that it has 2 monitors, is getting raid and all the works, might as well get 2 graphics cards instead of on-board graphics + graphics card.:cheesy:

RISadler    10
RISadler

They make 'em like this again? Shish-kebabs, I've been tinkering with ancient system too long...

jphotography    10
jphotography

Currently looking at a Core 2 quad Q8400 CPU? Is that any good? OHT32 I will read you pm now and see thanks

jacque31    10
jacque31

• Well if I'm not mistaken it's LGA775 - so if future "proofing" are of importance maybe look further into that - as to not restrict upgrades ect.

• Performance is good - also got some nice overclocking potential (if you're into that sort of thing :wink:)

• And I think it's decently priced - not too expensive and also value for your bucks (not too sure though :huh:)

jphotography    10
jphotography

Okay I managed to get a box:

Intel core I7 smack over with intel core i7 -860 2.8 ghz

Bluetooth and wifi

10 usb ports

8gb ram

1tb hdd

lg dvd writer

windows 7 home base

720w power supply

:) Collecting it this afternoon yay can't wait!!

RISadler    10
RISadler

1TB hard disk!? Gosh, that'll take 250 DVD's to backup. :wacko:

jphotography    10
jphotography
1TB hard disk!? Gosh, that'll take 250 DVD's to backup. :wacko:

LOL yeah I don't use DVD as back up, only external hdd. I have 5 x 500gb hdd that is full and I bought 2 x 1tb hdd the one is almost full. The one for the pc will only be for the images I am working with currently before I send them to backup, then I delete that hdd again to make space for new work. My current hd can't even handle 4 clients at a time so I am glad I am getting something bigger.

jacque31    10
jacque31

Hope you will have lots of non-frustrating years with it :razz:

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

Thats great. Congratulations, hope you enjoy your new PC.

Just don't overwork yourself now, as I doubt you'll overwork the PC. :wink:

jphotography    10
jphotography

thanks OHT32 and Jacques

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Okay I managed to get a box:

Intel core I7 smack over with intel core i7 -860 2.8 ghz

Bluetooth and wifi

10 usb ports

8gb ram

1tb hdd

lg dvd writer

windows 7 home base

720w power supply

Suffering from hard drive and RAM envy :biggrin:

Enjoy!!!

RISadler    10
RISadler

Me too, MsPlod. If I add all my hard disks together (as used in 7 machines and one portable disk), then I get 780GB. Memory of those machines add up to roughly 6GB...

jphotography    10
jphotography

6gb will keep a handfull of images. For my 1 camera I have 6x 32gb memory cards and a whole bunch of smaller one's. I always look for more space. LOL

jacque31    10
jacque31
Me too, MsPlod. If I add all my hard disks together (as used in 7 machines and one portable disk), then I get 780GB. Memory of those machines add up to roughly 6GB...

Well HDD's are so cheap now a days, why not get a 1TB or even 1.5. That will up your storage % in just one go! :amuse:

RISadler    10
RISadler
Well HDD's are so cheap now a days, why not get a 1TB or even 1.5. That will up your storage % in just one go! :amuse:

My machines only have IDE controllers, except for one, which has a UW-SCSI controller (not used). I have yet to find somebody in SA that sells Linux compatible SATA (PCI) cards.:suspicious:

jphotography    10
jphotography

Oh boy a new box is alot of work, reason for me being so quiet, trying to upload all my programs. My laptop was send in and now needs to be formatted. Trying to upload my PS CS4 then I still need to get my CS5 upgrade somehow again. Downloads downloads and more downloads! Seems it never stops!