Sign in to follow this  
Coza1

Photo competition

Coza1

I am planning a sponsored photo competition, with a nice new camera as prize. Would anybody be interested?

GemDeals

I'd be :)

Lot's of people would, I guess even your previous customers would be... seeing they have great cams now ;)

tendaji

I would second that. Count me in.

Coza1

The only thing I am not sure of is how to get enough entries. Any suggestions are welcome.

GemDeals

hmm, you can advertise in the bid or buy newsletter? or include a small "ad" in you listings?

TaLamia

hey i'm always game :) You can make use of networking tools such as Facebook, and tell other groups about the comp to drive entrants to your group/page.

Coza1

Or maybe a seperate competition where the winner is the one who refers the most entries?

Have a look at my new gallery at http://www.coza1.co.za/gallery

I plan to have all entrants upload their images into an album called "Competition". It has the capability of images receiving votes, and that sounds like a good way of judging.

TaLamia

If it was a hugely advertised comp I wouldn't mind open voting by the public but in instances like this when it's not really a widely known thing, these tend to become more of a who's got more friends to vote for them kind of compeition than on the merits of the work itself......

Coza1

The final decision will not be based on votes, neither on the technical quality of the image alone.

Danie M

Hi Coza

good idea ! I belong to a couple photographic forums and they do that all the time

they normally have a comp with a theme for the month

What normally works well is a comp where anything goes disregarding image quality or theme , and gets voted on by forum members

Not on IQ or comp or any other technical point ,just on the punch of the pic as a whole ,(that levels the playing field for all ) many times a comp gets won with a pic taken with a point n shoot by somebody new to photography

Even if you dont win the comp its good motivation (you can normally see where you are polled in the comp)

and a motivated photographer always thinks of upgrading equipmentwise !

:lol: :lol:

Cheers

Danie

RISadler

Coza1, if you're worried about not having enough entries to justify the value of the prize, then I suggest you start the ball rolling with just the competition, i.e. no prize. You can also make it a monthly competition, i.e. Best Photo of the Month, and then, after seeing the response, have a big competition at the end of the year. (Not just for the winners of the monthly competition, but for all the photos entered throughout the year.)

The benefit of this is that first, we photographers like to show-off our photos, so a prize in the monthly competition is irrelevant. And secondly, you can determine the value of the yearly prize later, after you calculate the value of the competition to your business.

And as a final suggestion, I would prefer the prize to be either selectable or in the form of a voucher. The reason being is that if I own a Canon 5D, then I have very little need for the grand prize of a 50D? Well, you get the idea....

RISadler

What happened to this?

DestinysAngels
I am planning a sponsored photo competition, with a nice new camera as prize. Would anybody be interested?

:DCan i enter my Yorkies!

lilythepink

Sounds like a great competition!

@ Danie M - love your avatar! It's too cute for words! :D

RISadler

I take it this has died.

DestinysAngels

:(Real pity, it would have been awesome!

wayjen

i'm game but am not a serious photographer. the last competition i entered i got a special mention for a picture i submitted.

MsPlod

Sooooo.....

OK - so the original idea was mooted in 2008 - and appears to have petered out... But it seems that there is nonetheless some renewed interest. Anyone able to suggest an alternative?? :confused:

RISadler
Anyone able to suggest an alternative??

Here's how it will work... everyone post one photograph on the forum. We vote who wins. Prize is a 4x6 print of the winning photograph. :D

MsPlod
Here's how it will work... everyone post one photograph on the forum. We vote who wins. Prize is a 4x6 print of the winning photograph. :D

LOL!!!

But seriously - maybe BoB would allow us a thread - much like the joke thread - where one can post photos - no discussion - just the photo with a short description and a limit on the size of the pic - say 400x600 - so that the pics are not too space consuming?? We could always chat about the pics in the chat forum ;)

wayjen

jeez i only saw the date now, who dug up this old corpse?

lilythepink

I plead "not guilty", Wayne! :)

RISadler

'Twas I, 'twas I.