Sign in to follow this  
Angolo Antico

When to draw the line

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Out auctions clearly states payment within 2 days, most buyers pays within 3-4 which is normal and fine with us, but what do you do when a buyer bought an item from you on the 25th of Aug, you wait almost 3 weeks, file a SNC and then out of the blue the buyer appeals the SNC and pays you :o

I am reaching boiling point with some people, I already made up my mind with this buyer, I will email them for their banking details for a full refund, I will not tollerate waiting 3 weeks for my money, and begging for money is the last thing I will ever do.

What would you as seller do, accept the payment and let it be or refund the buyer and cancel the sale and issue a negative rating?

really fed up :mad:

daisyjewel    10
daisyjewel

Hey MK... I am feeling the same way today... I did quite a few R1 no reserve auctions during the last 3 weeks and practically no one has paid me... I also hate begging and nagging... the only reason we do the R1 auctions is to make some quick sales and to get some cash flow but that is kind of defeated when no one pays for the goods and I just end up having to pay listing fees :(

I am not sure why it has been so bad lately but it is rather frustrating -- I completely know how you guys feel...

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I would refund minus bank charges and a suggestion that Lilythepink gave, is if they refuse to send their banking details, post them a postal order minus the charges.

If you allow the late payment, they will think they can get away with it in the future.

Whatever you do, don't withdraw the SNC, it puts you at a disadvantage as they can then rate you which you don't want.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Must be honest, I agree with Tananka on this one...

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

@ Daisy

thanks for your input, I know the feeling, filed 12 SNC within 5 days, with more on the way :( I wish I had an answer regarding the 'sudden' shift regarding payments not being made, the economic crisis is only part of the problem. Hopefully we'll all do better the VERY near future :rolleyes:

@ Tananka & MAJ

I will most defenitely refund the buyer one way or another, the SNC will stay.

thanks for all your replies.

MK

Wild Olive Art    11
Wild Olive Art

The bottom line is , there should be no excuse for non payment ! When people bid on an item , they surely must be aware that if they win , they need to pay , particularly if terms of sales are clearly stipulated by the seller.

Initially I was really lenient with sellers who were not paying. Now I send them an initial email as soon as the auction closes , a reminder after 48hrs ( when payment is due ). All my emails clearly state that payment not made in 48hrs will result in the item being re listed and a negative rating. If payment has not been made by day 4 I send an email notifying the buyer that the sale has been cancelled due to non payment and I relist the item .

In your case MK, I would not hesitate to refund the money and give a negative rating . 3 weeks is ridiculous !

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I agree with Tananka re the bank charges, but I'd go even further to put forward that we send them the postal order, less bank charges, and less listing fees. It might only be R5.00 per listing, but over a few weeks? This can really add up. Any suggestions reg the listing fees?

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I think the norm has become "to do as others do" whether it be right or wrong. There is no more ethics and thus many buyers use bob, and sellers' web sites, as a playground. Putting in bids and purchases and just never completing the transaction. They just couldn't care that it costs us money to list our items. And unfortunately, they know we can do nothing against them but give them negative ratings. Small claims courts are so full of other cases that it'll take months for a case to come to trail. I think we should ask BoB and their IT fundies to develop a method to stop these players. And once they're off the site, they should stay off. I think it's also very important to read the ratings of the bidders, and just delete them immediately and not even consider doing a transaction with them. I've done this on a few occassions and I believe I've spared myself a headache or two with a possible lost sale and listing costs to be paid.

kebs    10
kebs

I would also send a refund, less expenses, including listing fees.. When I file an SNC, I state in the SNC that the item has now been relisted & is no longer available to that buyer - that way, they can't say they didn't know.. I also only wait the required 7 days - it's too much time as it is.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I agree with Tananka re the bank charges, but I'd go even further to put forward that we send them the postal order, less bank charges, and less listing fees. It might only be R5.00 per listing, but over a few weeks? This can really add up. Any suggestions reg the listing fees?

I am absolutely in agreement about also deducting listing fees before making a refund to a late payer - a brilliant idea! :D

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico
I am absolutely in agreement about also deducting listing fees before making a refund to a late payer - a brilliant idea! :D

I second the idea, for BOB's attention :

What our legal rights as sellers to deduct listing fees for buyer refunds? I mean the priority, featured listings which BOB does not refund.

qball    10
qball

Our official stance on this would be no. We would not condone, encourage it or support it. Enhanced listing fees are advertising costs, and should not be deducted from the buyer's refund. This could cause some serious issues once the Consumer Protection Act is in place.

Kind regards

Cuan

sungems    10
sungems
Our official stance on this would be no. We would not condone, encourage it or support it. Enhanced listing fees are advertising costs, and should not be deducted from the buyer's refund. This could cause some serious issues once the Consumer Protection Act is in place.

Kind regards

Cuan

That is why I almost never use any enhanced listings, BOB is a business on its own, they do get there money (I think) mainly on the enhanced listings fees and they have protect their own pocket not the sellers pockets.

Even if you did get the advertisement future, if is worth nothing if the buyer do not pay for the item, but this is BOB's terms and as I and every seller always fight for my/there own terms and conditions to be honoured, so should we as sellers honour BidorBuy’s terms and conditions. Either do not use the enhanced listings and do not get the additional exposure or use them but be aware of the risks.