Sign in to follow this  
Angolo Antico

Limit bids on new accounts

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico

Just something to think about:

We have a few buyers who recently registered on BOB with either no or few ratings, buying 10-40 items at a time and only realising that they can only pay for the first 5 items, they are bidding away as if tomorrow does not exist.

Can BOB not implement a limit to new buyers, let's say they are able to buy 5 items max while they have no ratings, then once the transactions are completed successfully, they can step up a gear and buy a max of 10 items and so on.

We are paying BOB fees and for certain transactions it's a real waste as you do get those buyers that does the above, to get 5% back is nothing compared to the priority, promotional, category fees that runs into the R100's - R1000's monthly.

What are your thoughts regarding this?

regards

MK

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

That is a fantastic idea MK Jewels, I did ask to dumb question on another thread as to if we can delete the bids from these new buyers, but Tanaka pointed out a good point (that we were all there, me - not so long ago)

But you have a better idea..

It' does cost a pretty penny all these promotional costs every time someone over spends...

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Yes, I think this is a brilliant idea as many newbies, upon first discovering BoB go into a bidding frenzy, many perhaps not realising the implications should they win all auctions.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

This is a fantastic idea! I had a similar experience from a newbie who became so addicted within a few days that when it came to payment, it was a disaster! I feel that even in other companies, when you apply for credit, you start small and build up your credibility. I think the same can apply here. Limit purchasing until credibility can be assertained by ratings. You often find a newbie who has purchased over 30 items in 1 week from various sellers but have not yet received feedback. Yes, this is worrying because it could possibly mean pending SNC's and a waste of sale for you. Well done MK Jewels for this valuable input and I'm sure we're going to have great support from our fellow BoBbers!

babyface2    10
babyface2

i think that is an excellent idea, but would also like to implement that newbies will not be allowed to bid on paid promotional items as we loose a lot on listing fees with non paying new buyers

kebs    10
kebs

Good idea in theory - but what if the sellers don't bother to rate them?

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico
Good idea in theory - but what if the sellers don't bother to rate them?

Hi Kebs,

Good point, if atleast 75% of the sellers rate them positive, then their account 'qualifies' to buy / bid on more items :confused: don't know how we will implement that!

any thoughts from other Bobbers are welcome :)

Tjaart van der walt    10
Tjaart van der walt
Hi Kebs,

Good point, if at least 75% of the sellers rate them positive, then their account 'qualifies' to buy / bid on more items :confused: don't know how we will implement that!

any thoughts from other Bobbers are welcome :)

That's a difficult one. They are costing us a lot of money unnecessary and the biggest problem is if you receive negative or neutral ratings have a look 9 out of the 10 times its newbies that think the rating system is a communication device they must only be able to rate sellers maybe after their first 10 positive ratings :)

jacque31    10
jacque31
That's a difficult one. They are costing us a lot of money unnecessary and the biggest problem is if you receive negative or neutral ratings have a look 9 out of the 10 times its newbies that think the rating system is a communication device they must only be able to rate sellers maybe after their first 10 positive ratings :)

@Tjaart van der walt - I'm sorry but I have to totally disagree there with you - first off not all "newbie" buyers are the same, so can't implement something on how certain buyers behave. Ideally something would have to be done to target that behavior in a certain way - not the entire category in which the problem exists.

Second thing - "they must only be able to rate sellers maybe after their first 10 positive rating"

• what if sellers decide not to rate, how long do "newbies" have to wait until being able to rate, 20 sales later that they got 10 rated for finally?
  • how would you think some seller that's got a little a little bit of an attitude will react to this? Revenge rating anyone!? How about if you don't like my product or have a problem with my service I don't even rate you (or give a negative) and to top it off you can't even rate me ha ha.
  • And what about if this "newbie" seller honestly receives bad service, then the seller gets off the hook? I can tell you quality for one thing will completely drop regarding sales in that "restriction period"

See all the problems it can cause to mention just a few. But it's just my opinion and I agree completely that something needs to be done.;)

Oh by the way MK Jewels the bid restriction isn't a bad idea. But I was thinking instead of it depending on the ratings, what about a time period? Say after 10 day x amount of bid, after 1 month y amount of bids ect.

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

:D Fantabulistic Idea!!!!

Maybe just base it on successful transactions.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I'm in total agreement with jacque31. I think it would be unfair to limit new buyers to what they can bid on - remember some of our new buyers are wealthy despite the recession and we need their business. We do, however, always have the option of blocking them temporarily once they have bought an item or two from us and if we're not happy with them we can delete their bids.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I agree with Jacque31, and I thought about maybe if we can list high value items with a note that prevents new users or users with less than a certain amount of ratings from bidding on these expensive items. Let them get 5 or 10, maybe some more and then they can bid on our expensive items... But Bennet pointed out that this would be like discriminating against newbies. But it would really make life easier for sellers like me that is getting Community Watch alerts about suspicious new bidders... Really not Cool :cool:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I reinterate - I do NOT agree with any suggestion that new users on BoB be limited to what they can bid on until they don't pay or fulfil their obligations - at which time any seller will be perfectly entitled to delete their bid(s) and/or block them.

Angolo Antico    10
Angolo Antico
I reinterate - I do NOT agree with any suggestion that new users on BoB be limited to what they can bid on until they don't pay or fulfil their obligations - at which time any seller will be perfectly entitled to delete their bid(s) and/or block them.

While I completely understand your point of view on the matter lilly, we all started with 0 ratings, but I do not want to resort to deleting 20 bids everyday from new buyers with no ratings. I would rather encourage them to buy / bid and the key word here is Responsibly, the idea is to stop new buyers from buying 100 items in one go and then get blacklisted / disabled because they either can't pay for the items or they are 7 years old and making BOB their playground, which as a seller COSTS us money, no two ways about it.

Get your first 5 transactions completed, then go ahead and buy 20 items ect. That's the only way I can see to stop some of the new buyers without resorting to delete bids that might just be legit. :)

jacque31    10
jacque31

Yeah this is a tough one :confused: Everybody has valid points, ideas, suggestions ect - but here is the thing no solution is found covers every angle, all have one flaw....they cause and/or fail to sort out and existing problem.

The solution needed here have to cover all areas. For example yes you can block seller say until they have 10+ ratings - while that will help sellers it has the opposite effect on the newbie buyers. While some deserve it lots of new one's don't! If a restriction like that was in place I am fairly sure I would even bother to join BoB - as you can see in my ratings I only buy one in a while. But I am sure the perfect solution is out there - it just needs to be found.

Mmmm that got me thinking now, why doesn't BoB have something in place like to reward a user when an idea of theirs has been implemented? You know like a cost saving idea, or something the brings in more money for the site, or an idea that solves a big problem or whatever. And I'm talking about decent things - I don't mean to reward a user for spotting a small problem or whatever. Lots of companies I worked for is doing this and I really works well if the right people are involved. I mean you already have a similar reward program running for spotting scammers. Anyhow is just an idea.

Wow long piece again - every time I just quickly want to say something and then I just go on and on lol:p

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Okay, MK. I take your point. I never have many listings closing at the same time so it's easy for me to monitor them, whereas it wouldn't be so easy for you. Perhaps voldermort has a bright spark idea about how this problem could be overcome?