Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Customs duties - can one question it?

Cali Craft and Gems

I've just received a low value parcel from overseas, and I was charged R223.28 on a parcel with a value of $40 (R304 at the time, now R295).

The content list / invoice was included for custom's to see and the images of the gems are on this document too with full description and price. The parcel was NOT opened. On the customs documentation, they say the contents are "of base metal clad with precious metal" yet there is NO jewellery in the parcel or any metal items.

The post office assistant said I had to accept the parcel and pay the fees before I could question the charges.

Now the big questions are - what to do now and how to do it?

Any suggestions??? I have not opened the parcel myself yet just in case I have to "return" it to customs.

kebs

Odd.. I queried customs once before & the post office kept the parcel, unpaid, to enquire for me..

SProducts

I dont know the exact procedure, but you will need to contact your local customs and tell them and they will give you the correct process.

I doubt though that you have to take the parcel, obviously once taken the customs might want to open it and check and they cant once you've tajen it from the post office.

My suggestion, call them before you do anything.

Sipho

Miss Jewels

Hi there. My clearing agent informed me that there is not customs fees payable on items of R500.00 value or lower. Merely postal fees of R35.00 Please take this up with your local post office and ask them to refer you to the nearest customs clearing office. Good Luck

Lukeness

I've queried parcels before and they were sent back and re-checked. All came back MUCH lower but it can be quite slow.

Cali Craft and Gems

I'm going to phone our local SARS Customs offices tomorrow for advice... it is worth a try!

@ Lukeness - I need to send some gems for grading / certification - advice please...

Lukeness

Hi Janet,

Send me a PM and we can go through all the details.