Sign in to follow this  
4kids

Help needed on establishing coin prices!

4kids    10
4kids

Hi Guys.

I am calling on all knowledgeable Union King George VI Collectors in helping me to establish a value on the following coins graded at NGC.

They are:

1949 2/6 MS64

1950 2/- MS64

What would you pay for such specimens? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

deshnum    10
deshnum

Help needed on establishing coin prices!

hello 4kids,

i do not consider these 2 particular coins rare in these specific grades nor rare in its entirety irrespective of low mintage figures.there are certainly many more examples yet to be discovered or introduced and to go around ranging from vf+ up to mintstate condition to satisfy the novice and advanced collectors in this fraternity.they are however scarce in high-mintstate ie.MS64 on- FOR NOW but in time, should simmer somewhat.i had various opportunities with viewing and handling low to top mintstate specimens (both brilliant and cultured) in these dates and denominations including other dates like the rare 1946 and 1947 2shillings that are yet to be graded numerically.im sure u like other collectors are aware of the fact that kg6 have yet to really catch on nationally and in time create a hype that would stimulate the market thus eventually dictating the prices.

MY CURRENT BASE CONSIDERATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS WITH BRILLIANT SPECIMENS-

1949 2/6 MS64 - R12 000

1950 2/- MS64 - R10 000

DESHNUM

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Regarding the 1950 /- = NGC stats : 6 graded in MS64 out of a total of 17 graded with only one less than MS.

1949 2/6- NGC:- 5 graded MS64 with one better .Total graded 20 - none less than MS.

Strange stats with so few (if all) in AU and less?

I agree with the previous poster with values of R10 000 and up for these coins.

But what bothers me is the relative high MS grades versus the total graded vs. their extreme low mintage figures?

We are talking about VERY scarce coins here but why no low graded specimens in the PoP reports ?

Pierre

4kids    10
4kids

Thank you for now Deshnum and Pierre.

Regarding the 1950 /- = NGC stats : 6 graded in MS64 out of a total of 17 graded with only one less than MS.

1949 2/6- NGC:- 5 graded MS64 with one better .Total graded 20 - none less than MS.

Strange stats with so few (if all) in AU and less?

I agree with the previous poster with values of R10 000 and up for these coins.

But what bothers me is the relative high MS grades versus the total graded vs. their extreme low mintage figures?

We are talking about VERY scarce coins here but why no low graded specimens in the PoP reports ?

Pierre

The fact that few or no lower grades exist could be attributed to the very low cat value these pieces have.

Mostly consideration for third party grading is based on CAT value, Plus grading cost = X. When the value of X exceeds the current CAT value, collectors usually would not consider grading such specimens yet!

I have very few QEII graded pieces all which I bought and not graded myself for this reason.

There are many KGVI collectors out there with UNC and AU as well as lower grade coins in their collection who does not have the financial means to do so or merely some collectors who does not want to grade their coins.

Vertigo    10
Vertigo

hi,

does anyone know when the new herns book is coming out , or any indication as to percentage difference in the prices of unoin and ZAR

4kids    10
4kids

Stick to Topic

hi,

does anyone know when the new herns book is coming out , or any indication as to percentage difference in the prices of unoin and ZAR

Hi Vertigo.

I respectfully request that you edit you posting and stick to the topic for which this thread was opened. You can post it as a new thread again.

Thank you in advance

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

You are 100% right

The fact that few or no lower grades exist could be attributed to the very low cat value these pieces have.

Mostly consideration for third party grading is based on CAT value, Plus grading cost = X. When the value of X exceeds the current CAT value, collectors usually would not consider grading such specimens yet!

I have very few QEII graded pieces all which I bought and not graded myself for this reason.

There are many KGVI collectors out there with UNC and AU as well as lower grade coins in their collection who does not have the financial means to do so or merely some collectors who does not want to grade their coins.

What can I say - you are 100% on the dot...