Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

General purpose lens... for Canon.

RISadler

My frustratingly fruitless search for an EF 35mm f/2 lens has caused me to wonder if there aren't any alternatives.

I prefer prime lenses in this focal length range. I loved my Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens and later on really liked the EF 50mm f/1.4 on the EOS 3 I had for a short while before switching to digital.

The 50mm is not good on a 1.6X field of view crop factor (FoVCF) camera. So I bought an EF 24mm f/2.8 lens, which is great for indoor work and photographing buildings - basically as long as the subjects are within 7 metres. Beyond that the perspective gets a little weird.

My problem is that I require a "carry-everywhere" lens with a "traditional" focal length. I have an EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III lens, which is light, small and covers a lot of situations. Unfortunately the image quality is sub-acceptable and focus not too accurate.

Suggestions?

RISadler

I see kalahari.net lists the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens and they claim their supplier has stock. Perfect.

jphotography

I own a 24-105 F4 which I carry everywhere, very sharp lens and I enjoy it. Of all my lenses this one is the one I will find on my camera most of the time

RISadler

Yip, that lens is definitely on the list... when I have the cash.

How's the distortion at 24mm?

jphotography

I dont have a full frame camera so with the 24mm side I get about a 38mm view.

So not really a distortion with the 24mm side. And I don't go too close with the 24 either as mostly I take images of people. Only time I will go closer with 24mm is with products or flowers.

I also have a 17-35mm f2.8 sigma lens on the 17mm you get distortion.

But I can't wait for my 4.5mm lens, I am picking it up tomorrow morning.

RISadler
I dont have a full frame camera so with the 24mm side I get about a 38mm view.

Perfect FoV, in my opinion.

Only time I will go closer with 24mm is with products or flowers.

I'm thinking about getting the EF-S 60mm Macro for that kind of work. What do you think?

I also have a 17-35mm f2.8 sigma lens on the 17mm you get distortion.

Way too wide for my liking. I borrowed a friend's EF 16-35mm II lens to photograph the last steam locomotives at Voorbaai, and the distortion is so terrible that I have to reshoot everything. Even my PowerShot A620 has less distortion!

But I can't wait for my 4.5mm lens, I am picking it up tomorrow morning.

Details!

jphotography

I'm thinking about getting the EF-S 60mm Macro for that kind of work. What do you think?

Get the 100mm macro I own one and it is superb! Other lens I would love to have is the micro MP-E65. But before I buy I want to rent one, I heard you have to go really close with it. And I am allergic to bees but want to try and take some images of them but to get so close that I might get stung I would rather leave it. But for jewellery I only use the 100mm

Way too wide for my liking. I borrowed a friend's EF 16-35mm II lens to photograph the last steam locomotives at Voorbaai, and the distortion is so terrible that I have to reshoot everything. Even my PowerShot A620 has less distortion!

Have to agree I hardly use mine

Details!

Tomorrow morning I am collecting it for my weekend shoot. I am leaving for Mpumalanga tomorrow afternoon. BuycameraSA that Grant guy went out of his way for me. I must admit I am impressed now with them.

jphotography

Lovely I am typing like my beehind!!!!!! I am doing this Quoting thing wrong!!!!! LOLOLOL. You can see it is Thursday.

RISadler

Right-O! My plan of action is then to first sort out the "general purpose/travelling" lens, then sell some more stuff on BoB and get the 100mm macro.

I've placed my order at kalahari.net for the EF 24-85mm USM, so now we'll see if they can actually get the lens.

jphotography

Strongs I know the feeling of saving up. I was saving for my big lens then I bought this 4.5mm lens and a 550d now I have to start saving all over again.

RISadler

Thanks. At least I'm not a "nature photographer" and therefore doesn't have a hunkering for lenses of which the focal length should rather be stated in terms of metres and an f-stop that rivals a Leica Noctilux. Those people really spend a lot on lenses!

jphotography
Thanks. At least I'm not a "nature photographer" and therefore doesn't have a hunkering for lenses of which the focal length should rather be stated in terms of metres and an f-stop that rivals a Leica Noctilux. Those people really spend a lot on lenses!

That is why I want that 500mm lens! :D

RISadler

A 500mm lens is great for landscapes! some of my personal favourites I took with a 300mm f/4.5 and a 2x TC... thus a 600mm f/11 lens.