Sign in to follow this  
Dulal

'Shallow Strike' Vs 'Weak Strike'

Dulal

What is shallow strike

What is weak strike

can someone elaborate it. It will be appreciated.

REGARDS

Dulal

kyle2

Not sure there is a difference, I would imagine its the same thing? Anyone else got any ideas?:confused:

4kids

Weak or shallow Strike coins are the same thing caused by one or more of the following factors when the coins were struck. Mostly seen in early years and not so much a factor in new technology.

1. Improper settings on the coin press usually on first strikes when the machines need to seat and often needed adjusting.

2. A mechanical failure in the locking down devices holding the dies in place can cause a shift in the dies.

3. The blank's are to thin and there is not enough material in the coin blank to fill the designs when striking occurs.

4. Sunken dies, this problem can be seen on most the King George V! tickeys and also on the 1932 Shilling of the Union Series. This was mainly caused by pile up's called 'Brokage" on the dies where the dies filled up with small pieces of dust like metal particles and clogged the devices and masked the details. I bought a graded 1932 shillinh AU58some time ago and when I saw the coin I knew that it was a mere weak strike which should not have detracted from the grade the coin should have been. An almost flawless coin with one single scuff mark behind the neck of KGV. I resubmitted the coin for grading with a note and it graded a perfect. MS63.

5. Soft dies, when the dies were not hardened enough causing them to wear down quicker than anticipated could result in weak strikes.

Trust that this helps.