Sign in to follow this  
annaroos

Over Charge On Posting

brands online
hi Brands , for around about the past 3 months now even if a parcel falls into econo category amd you want to insure it ,it automatically falls into the 1-2kg category and then you still need to pay 2% for insurance on top of that...so how can i charge my customers R15 more for an itme that might weigh only 100g?

I remember this yes, but then it fell away. I still send all econo's insured at econo rates plus 2%

YSLMAGIC
I remember this yes, but then it fell away. I still send all econo's insured at econo rates plus 2%

thanks for this , will follow up with the branch manager

brands online

You may have a hard time even with your branch manager. We actually swapped post offices 3 times before we found some real good service. I hate putting anyone down, but postal workers generally don't themselves know what's going on. Which is actually a good point...

Perhaps a new thread should be started :Undercharged on Posting...:rolleyes:

The time in the post office to get all the parcels posted alone is worth a bit more. Buyers have all the luck.....

Edited by brands online

YSLMAGIC

Perhaps a new thread should be started :Undercharged on Posting...:rolleyes:

The time in the post office to get all the parcels posted alone is worth a bit more. Buyers have all the luck.....

i 2nd 3rd and 4th that!!!

sungems

An issue on the insurance everybody especially buyers should realize

Firstly on the order BOB only calculate insurance on the winning amounts, not combining and not shipping.

I sell low priced items mostly R1-R6 therefore I am talking from my selling point of view and not items selling for larger amounts.

70% of our orders (not wining amounts total order amount) amount is less than R100. Lets use R70 as an average. From this R70 order amount R35 is postage and sometimes R10-R15 is combining fees as the buyer has won/bought 5-10 items at +-R2 each. Therefore the insurance will only be calculated on R20

The buyer, when paying insurance, expect if his parcel got lost to be refunded R70 but firstly only paid insurance on R20. Secondly the post office does not insure a parcel for only R70 the minimum you can insure a parcel for is R100.

Resulting: The buyer who want insurance; is only paying insurance on R20 and we as the seller need to subsidise insurance of R80 to get to the minimum the post office allows for insurance

I don’t know what you bought and what you paid for it but if it is like my items 5% will not even cover the insurance amount that I will need to pay to the post office.

But even if the order amount is R300 it is still a concern as the order amount can still be as follows

20 items at an average of (make it a higher amount) R10 = R200

20 x combining fees of average R4 = R80

Shipment = R35

Insurance 2.0% on R200 = R4

Order amount = R319

On this if parcel do get lost the buyer would want R319 to be refunded but only paid insurance on R200

This is why the % charged by sellers is this high not make profit but to make up for this difference in BOB’s calculating system

I personally asked BOB to change the amount on which the insurance is charged (not just the winning/buy now amount but the total order amount) they replied only the items wining price or buy now price is used to calculate the insurance and at that time they plan to keep it as such

Therefore until the buyer is satisfied to only insure part of the amount he paid or until BOB change the amount on which the insurance is calculated (with a minimum of R100) there will always be a problem on the insurance issue

Wild Olive Art

Sungems , if you read my post you will see that this seller claimed the 5% insurance was due to postal increases. This is fraud.

As a seller I make it clear to my clients that insurance is for the value of the item only. It does not cover the postage costs - postage costs cannot be insured!!

It is up to the seller to make sure their postage costs are adequately covered and make sure that the buyers know what is covered by the insurance and what not. If postal insurance is explained to clients there is no reason at all for an issue.

Sellers cannot just make up their own rules when it comes to adding insurance percentages.

sungems
Sungems , if you read my post you will see that this seller claimed the 5% insurance was due to postal increases. This is fraud.

As a seller I make it clear to my clients that insurance is for the value of the item only. It does not cover the postage costs - postage costs cannot be insured!!

It is up to the seller to make sure their postage costs are adequately covered and make sure that the buyers know what is covered by the insurance and what not. If postal insurance is explained to clients there is no reason at all for an issue.

Sellers cannot just make up their own rules when it comes to adding insurance percentages.

Yes I totally agree with you, I only explained another side of the story, but where the degree of insured items/shipment/combining comes into affect I disagree.

You can inform them as much as you want that insurance is only paid on the value of the item. If they do not read any info on the auction how do you expect them to read this info.

I have had 3 parcel missing that were insured and 2 that were not insured since selling on BOB.

The buyers how did not even insure their parcel were adamant that I repay them the full amount they paid to me. Then I do not even start to elaborate on the parcels that were insured. It is a nightmare and you can inform them as much as you want especially if it is insured. They expected back what they paid to you: IN FULL

Edited by sungems

YSLMAGIC
You may have a hard time even with your branch manager. We actually swapped post offices 3 times before we found some real good service. I hate putting anyone down, but postal workers generally don't themselves know what's going on. Which is actually a good point...

hi Brands

thanks a million , while i was waiting the branch manager contacted her superiors and everything is as you said ....much appreciated

brands online
hi Brands

thanks a million , while i was waiting the branch manager contacted her superiors and everything is as you said ....much appreciated

One thing I can say for sure, if I ever stop bobBing, i can probably apply to be a SAPO branch manager... A year ago, i didn't even know how to post a parcel, since I'm bobBing, I'm more in the post office than some of the staff :wink:

Only a pleasure Y!