Sign in to follow this  
annaroos

Over Charge On Posting

annaroos    10
annaroos

DEAR BID OR BUY,

I PURCHASE A TOY FOR MY NIECE!S 2YR GIRL. THE SELLING PRICE IS R59.00. WHEN THE VENDOR WROTE BACK TO ME HE CHARGE R50.00 POSTAGE. THE ITEM IS SMALL AND LITE. I HAVE RECEIVED 150 ITEMS THROUGH BIDORBUY AND TILL IS WAY OVER THE NORMAL POSTAGE.

A PAINTING 50CMX40CM INSURED COST R50.00. I ALWAYS CHECK THE CHARGES FOR POSTAGE. DO NOT WANT A CONFRONTATION THEREFOR DO NOT SUPPORT OVERCHARGERS. I WROTE BACK TO VENDOR AND TOLD HIM INSURED MAX R20.00 FOR PLASTIC TOY. HE CAME BACK TO ME AND TOLD ME HIS CHARGE IS R50.00.

NOW FAIR IS FAIR WHY DO THEY HAVE TO TRY AND MAKE A BUCK ON POSTAGE.

NO MENTION OF POSTAGE BEFORE BID.

I WILL NOW HAVE TO PAY UP OR GET A BAD MARK AGAINST MY NAME.

BEST REGARDS

annaroos

kebs    10
kebs

Can you post a link to the item please? Was his postage cost on the item page?

admin    0
admin

Hi annaroos,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you refering to this item Dress-ups - KIDDIES COSMETIC SET ==NEW== was sold for R59.00 on 2 Sep at 21:01 by VCASH in Cape Town (ID:24912282) if you are, the R50 postage is mentioned upfront in the sellers Shipping & Other Charges

Goods bought bet R1-R99,P&P=R50.

Please do not post in all caps, it is considdered as shouting in Netiquette Thank you ;)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Yes, postage price is clearly mentioned in the advert. But, here again, is another case of a seller ripping a buyer off with postage on an item which will not cost more than R25.00 (packaging and petrol to the post office included!) Not fair.

kebs    10
kebs

If that is the item, it's confusing as to whether the postage is regular mail or courier. While I agree with you Lily, if this is regular postage, it's a blatant rip off - but the costs are shown up front, so the buyer should be aware of the costs before purchasing. If it's a courier delivery, it's a good deal.. He does say "The buyer is NOT obliged to do the courier through the seller" though..

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

Hi BOB'ers

I have been with BOB since 2006 and have a 100% payment record, but this week I bid for an old and water damaged cell phone which I won for R5.00. I wanted some of its parts as spares for one of my home cells. NOKIA 6230i WATER DAMAGED, bidorbuy ID: 25408929

The item was meant to be shipped from Pietermaritzburg and I expected normal parcel postage costs, but the seller quoted me R150 for the item (R5 +R145 postage). He refused to allow pick-ups and insisted that R145 was Post Office postage cost.

I am not prepared to pay R145 postage for an item costing R5, but I also do not want to ruin my 100% buyers rating. No upfront postage cost was mentioned when selling and now the seller is trying to extort money to make up for his "loss". Can anyone help me sort this problem out without it having a negative impact on my good name that I spent years building? I fear I may have no option but to pay up....:(

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi RajRules

You definitely seem to have a valid case.

Contact BoB management at communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za and state your case, forwarding correspondence between yourself and the seller. Let them deal with this and if the seller gives you a negative you can appeal it as well.

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

Thanks

Thank you Tananka. I did just that.;)

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

What about those sellers who live in SA, but quote international shipping prices (from China, etc). Wanna bet that these guys have ample stock in SA and make their money out of postage. Thats why they exist for so long.

SProducts    10
SProducts
What about those sellers who live in SA, but quote international shipping prices (from China, etc). Wanna bet that these guys have ample stock in SA and make their money out of postage. Thats why they exist for so long.

I bet to differ with you here, maybe there are sellers shadowing by the fact they send items from overseas just so they are safe and can recover from postage. There was a thread a while back about this specific buyer who seems to do that.

My items are sent from my suppliers directly to my client and so there is no way things could be different. I do get some stock of certain products and if you check my listings, I am upfront and mention if its sent locally and if not.

Sipho

BMW_M3_CSL    10
BMW_M3_CSL

The easiest way out is what I do with such sellers - pay him/her the R5.00 for the item but tell them to keep it as the postage is to high. They can not rate you negatively as you have paid for the item. If they then rate you negative, you will have a case to have it overturned.

jacque31    10
jacque31
The easiest way out is what I do with such sellers - pay him/her the R5.00 for the item but tell them to keep it as the postage is to high. They can not rate you negatively as you have paid for the item. If they then rate you negative, you will have a case to have it overturned.

So what about the postage then? As I understand many sellers complain if the full amount isn't payed, postage, bank fees ect. So the technically the item isn't fully payed for?

SProducts    10
SProducts

This is against the rules, the seller might have paid BoB about R15.00 to list the item in the first place.

Maybe this a seller talking, I strongly believe if you bid on an item and the shipping is clearly marked R500.00 and win the product for R5.00, you have to pay the shipping. Why complain when you saw the shipping fee beforehand, thats illegal as you knew how much shipping was when bidding now who's problem it is that you won the item cheap. Stop complaining and dont pay, just disappear and not try to make wrong to be right.

The same applies, there are no shipping fees on an auction, the first step is asking the seller how much and if they dont respond, simply dont bid. If you bid and win and they tell you its R500.00, you have yourself to blame, why bid when shipping fees arent disclosed. You should expect the worst, if you dont like the charges, just dont pay and stop complaining.

Sipho

SProducts    10
SProducts
I think this buyer's issue is that the postage isn't specified on the listing : Nokia - NOKIA 6230i WATER DAMAGED was sold for R5.00 on 2 Sep at 16:46 by zaheer0027 in Pietermaritzburg (ID:25408929), & I wouldn't expect to pay so much for postage for a broken cellphone.. Actually, I would have asked postage first, before I bid..

@Kebs, I agree with you the postage seems very high. But I checked on some cell phones and mostly are sent for +-R150.00 speed services. The things is the seller is being blamed for nothing, actually for the buyer's mistake of not ensuring they know the postage fee upfront. Looking at the auction, the buyer bid on 29 August and it closed on 02 September.

The fact that the phone is broken doesnt affect shipping, its still the same size and weight and didnt shrink because of water damage. Its just so happened the buyer won it cheap, should the buyer had won the phone for R300.00, would they complain about the postage?

My point, the winning bid doesnt affect shipping, if its not listed ask or dont bid. If you bid expect anything.

Sipho

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

Just to let you all know, I contacted BOB and they have given the seller a warning for the high shipping cost. I was also told that I do not have to accept the item if I dont want to.

I suggest that you look through listings on BOB and you will find numerous items that do not provide shipping charges. However, if it reads "shipped from Durban", I would expect a decent shipping cost, especially if the seller tells you that he will go to the post office first and then give me a cost. He then expects me to believe that the Post Office quoted him R145.

When we bid on an item, it is a legally binding contract, but if the cost of shipping is not specified in this contract, then there is no way that the seller can "expect" a buyer to accept an unreasonable amount.

Just for the record, there was no reason for the seller to courier the broken phone as I was not going to use it to make an urgent call.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I agree on this.

It should be compulsory to add shipping to every listing.

As I see it, if shipping is not is displayed at the time of bidding, it does not form part of the binding contract of sale as it was not previously disclosed.

I'm also sure the new Consumer Protection Act would stipulate this as all detail regarding the sale has to be stated up front. Failure to do so gives the buyer good reason to reject the item and refuse to conclude the sale.

RAJRULES1    10
RAJRULES1

Suspect item + high postage as well

I wanted to bid on this item, but figured that it may be tooo *** to be true, so I looked at postage and decided that paying R50 for this item is too much..:mad:

Flash-light Keyrings - Portable 3 LED Flashlight Solar Powered Torch LA3 for sale in Klerksdorp (ID:26357213)

R50 postage, will probably cover the cost of the item, but not only will this be misleading to new unsuspecting buyers, but it is also ....ing Bid or Buy as well. How much will BoB make from R0.01??:wondering:

admin    0
admin

Thank you RAJRULES1 :wink:

The appropriate action was taken.

brands online    10
brands online

hmmm...Had the seller displayed their advertising costs beforehand, what then?

kebs    10
kebs

Perhaps they come with something inside for you to justify the high postage?? :wink:

sungems    10
sungems

Shipping charges and combining fees, charged by sellers are the most washed out topic on the forum and I strongly suggest it should not be allowed by BOB admin on any forum ever again as it is the same old s..t over and over and over again.

If anyone thinks shipment and/or combining is too much: irrespective of if it is R99 or R999, R50 or R500 or even R3500, report it to BOB without complaining about it, without making an issue out of it and definitely without bidding on the item.

If you are not willing to pay the shipment amount or the combining fees …. Do Not Bid…. even if it were not provided before the time. If it were not provided before the time the buyer is really not to cleaver to bid on something without asking what the shipping and/or combining would be. Do not expect or assume anything ask before bidding and definitely do not complain afterwards.

I strongly believe if you bid on an item and the shipping is clearly marked R500.00 and win the product for R5.00, you have to pay the shipping. Why complain when you saw the shipping fee beforehand, thats illegal as you knew how much shipping was when bidding now who's problem it is that you won the item cheap. Stop complaining and dont pay, just disappear and not try to make wrong to be right.

The same applies, there are no shipping fees on an auction, the first step is asking the seller how much and if they dont respond, simply dont bid. If you bid and win and they tell you its R500.00, you have yourself to blame, why bid when shipping fees arent disclosed. You should expect the worst, if you dont like the charges, just dont pay and stop complaining.

Sipho

I could not have said it any better

The amount you won/paying for the item do not have anything to do with the shipping amount. If you bid on one glass bead for R0.80 and the shipping is R35 it seems totally out of proportion but, if you bided on the item pay for what you committed yourself to without complaining. This was the bidders choice to place the bid, nobody forced anyone to place any bids at any time. If it is not acceptable do not bid but if you do, you are the only one to blame if it is too much at the end.

Newbie’s do not have an excuse either, If you do have the ability and facility to get around on a computer get around by registering on BOB you are not a moron, you know what you are doing and newbie’s are mostly more cautious than advance users, but if anyone are not cautious they should not be buying online and if they do they should not complain. It is your own fault when paying too much for whatever you committed yourself to not the seller.

I also started off without knowing anything in the begining but made double sure what I were bidding on and the additional cost, therefore total cost, before pressing the buttons. There is no excuse and no accidents can happen as you need to first entre the amount you are willing to offer, click on “place your bid' and again click on "confirm your bid" therefore three times to overthink what you are committing yourself to.

We only charge R32 for un-insured trackable postage and I think it is not extreme although others might disagree. But if other sellers shipping expenses might add up to more and you are not willing to pay it … Do Not Bid…

Some buyers/users like to quote the amount the post office charge for posting a parcel. We and I am sure other sellers also do not charge postage, we charge shipment. This include packaging cost, actual post office postage cost, cost to get the items to the post office (this involve that the company need to have a vehicle (or will you drive around for your employer for free, I certainly will not like to do that) We do not just stop at the post office on our way to somewhere else it is a phisical trip, the gasoline, insurance and maintenance on the vehicle need to be included, part of the salary for the drivers time taking the parcels to the post office. The sticker we use to stick on the parcel for the address cost us R0.80 but the printer that is only used for this purpose cost R8120.00 (exc Vat) this also need to be covered by the shipment (not postage) charged. If the parcel does get lost or damage we again need to spend time to file a claim and dozens of man hour goes into such a process as we do get SA service at the Post Office, the remuneration part for the time the employee take to pack the items is also considered as shipping expenses this is mainly where combining fees are applicable and the list goes on and on. If you are selling items for mostly under R10 the above costs can not be covered by the profit you make as and as it is actually shipment cost I believe it belong there. If the buyer do not agree with our shipment amount ...Do Not Bid...

Another aspect I am not agreeing with BOB and some comments earlier is that only the bid amount can/should be honoured. If this is paid the buyer is off the hook. We as sellers do spend at lot of time listing the item. We almost never but some sellers pay enhancement fees, we then spend a lot of time sending up to 3-4 emails reminding the buyer that payment is still outstanding and sometimes even more emails disputing or explaining concerns the buyer might have. We spend time to file the SNC and then again to relist the item, this process can take up to a month even longer which mean for this time the product is also not available for reselling. If a buyer committed him/herself to a deal, this deal include the shipment that were provided in advance not just the bid amount he/she placed and it should be honoured as well

By saying all the above I also need to mention that I do not agree with some charges some sellers charge. I also think some sellers do charge extremely high shipment/postage fees but this should be reported to BOB …W.I.T.H.O.U.T... bidding on the item

Edited by sungems

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI

I would love to see the following "THIS SELLER CHARGES EXHORBITANT SHIPPING AND POSTAGE FEES" flashing with the listings from these sellers that do really charge impossible fees.Probably not practical to implement as where do you draw the line?,but would warn prospective buyers and i am sure would cause the sellers to review their shipping charges.

Just my input.

Neil