Sign in to follow this  
barbaro

Gold coins

barbaro

Hi All,

I have decided that i want to start a small collection of gold coins. The question i'm asking is what gold coins are best to buy? Kruger Rands? 22c or 24c? Is there maybe something better to collect than gold coins, like rare coins etc.?

Vinyl Lady Decals

The experts could probably tell you more, but l wouldnt buy Kruger Rands, other investment coins seem to be offering better returns in the long run. The Protea Series, etc, is where I am investing

kyle2

I stand under correction, but all the gold coins I have are 22c fine gold, I don't think that you get a 24c, unless its gold plated?

Gold is a bit expensive at the moment and it doesn't seem like there will be a slump anytime soon, I watch it everyday and it keeps on going up.

Most gold coins these days especially Kruger coins, seem to be valued at very close to the gold weight price. The Mandela ones though are asking quite a bit more, if I had the money and the inclination, those are the coins I would buy. :)

Dulal
Hi All,

I have decided that i want to start a small collection of gold coins. The question i'm asking is what gold coins are best to buy? Kruger Rands? 22c or 24c? Is there maybe something better to collect than gold coins, like rare coins etc.?

Hi

I will say rare/scarce gold coin i.e. Zar pond and half pond, union (1923-1960) sov and 1/2 sov, pound and half pound,1961-1964 gold coins Republic R2 and R1 gold coins OR physical gold,Kruger with minimal premium. I will not buy modern commomorative gold at this stage-sellers are asking too much premium on these commomoretives.

PIERRE`s prescription of 1947-1950 coins is and will remain valid I believe.

Wish you good luck.

Dulal

PBGold

Depends on who you ask. Just make sure that the person you ask can give you realistic reasons and not ‘they’re crap because I said so’ reasons.

I suggest a portfolio split between Krugerrands and Modern Gold coins i.e. gold coins minted by the South African Mint after 1994. 50/50 is fine.

I believe strongly in modern gold coins because logic tells me this, but I will elaborate on a few points. There are many more but my time is limited.

· The new South Africa is all about post ’94. Very few people are interested in pre-94 gold coins. The Black market especially is interested in modern coins only.

· The older coin market is a lot weaker than the modern coin market. How many TV or radio adverts do you see that advertise Krugerponde?

· Ebay and Bidorbuy saved the older coin market in S.A. Without these websites the market would have dwindled to almost nothing already. Go to a meeting and 90% of the conversation will revolve around this or that happening on BOB.

· The modern coin market is backed by the S.A.Mint and ABSA juggernauts. The older coin market does not have a Mint equivalent that puts so much effort and money into the market.

· All the doom prophets have been predicting the implosion of the modern coin market for 16 years, and we are still waiting. In the mean time, the market gets stronger and stronger every year.

· New dealers are constantly entering the market. Ask the Mint how many new dealers in modern coins have appeared over the last five years. Compare that to how many new dealers there are in the older coin market.

· The existing dealers are powering the market forward. Say what you will about dealers like SAGCE and Investgold but they are forces in the industry that are simply too powerful to be ignored. The industry will only get stronger with these players in the market.

So,yes, my personal opinion is that modern gold coins is the way to go.

Of course, there are many people that will immediately trash everything I have said and will tell you that Krugerponde and Union is the only way. I respect those opinions too.

barbaro

Hey all

Thank you for the informative responses. I almost feel like i should make a collection of new and old gold coins. I have to say that i think there will always be a market for any coin, how big that market is, is a different question altogether. I'm just trying to get a balance of coins that i know i'm not going to waste my money collecting.

I also generally hang onto coins for a long time, coz i just like collecting them. I want to move into a small collection of gold coins coz i don't have any at all.

BumbleBee

Well I think everybody can agree that gold is a fairly solid investment, silver is good too, especially for someone just starting out and in my opinion silver coins are much prettier to look at. I think for investment value Krugers are the way to go, the premiums are much lower than the gold proteas or Natura series. The Naturas though are the only SA coins minted in the finest gold possible, 24ct.

kyle2

I watched a program the other night on Toptv about the 1933 $20 Double eagle gold coin, extremely fascinating, recommend to all. Long story short, America had $20 gold coins in circulation and decided to recall all the gold bullion for fear of losing the gold reserves. People were hoarding the coins and so the government made it illegal. 25 of these coins escaped the smelter, 15 are accounted for and the rest are all illegal to own. 1 became legal through an export slip up and optained legal status through this document.

It was eventually auctioned off for $6.5 million, not bad for $1000 dollars worth of gold coin.

Fascinating story, there are still at least 5 out there!:P

jwither
Hi All,

Since you are not knowledgeable in collecting, I would not recommend that you buy numismatic coins at all, whether gold or otherwise. The only exception I would make is if they have low premiums to bullion value.

Guest Guest

Hi Barbaro

Check out the posts on the BoB thread "ON THE CUSP".

Set an evening aside - I think you will find it will be a useful guide.

Kind regards

Scott Balson