Sign in to follow this  
mellowred

What stone or rock is this cut from

mellowred

Hope I'm in the right forum and that someone can help.

I have this stone carving and have no idea what material it is cut from. It is very heavy. Size is 16cm x 12cm x 12cm - weight 4kg.

444253_100901225806_Image0090.jpg

Excuse my ignorance here, I'm not sure how hard/soft it is. Scrapping a coin across the bottom (with a lot of pressure) produces a very shallow scrape and fine dark dust. The unpolished stone (where the scrape is) is medium grey - whereas the polished area is very dark grey (almost black).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mandy

MsPlod

Not 100% sure but...

It looks like soapstone...

Wonderful to work with and relatively easy to carve.

Cali Craft and Gems

I agree with Ms Plod on this one!

These carvings are predominantly produced / carved in Zimbabwe as the rock is easily available there.

mellowred

That makes perfect sense as we have a whole collection of cups and saucers, ashtrays and pipes.

I would not have associated such a dark stone with soapstone - I'm used to the dark green and light grey stone.

Thanks both of you. :D

watermelon101

Hi

Pesonnally i think its Pyrophylite"wonderstone" commonly used for lapidery work seen as the hardness is 2

:grin:

MsPlod
Personally i think its Pyrophylite"wonderstone" commonly used for lapidery work seen as the hardness is 2

:grin:

Had to look this up Watermelon101 :grin: ! Hadn't heard of pyrophylite before... From Wikipedia...

"Pyrophyllite, a mineral very similar to talc is sometimes called soapstone in the generic sense since its physical characteristics and industrial uses are similar, and because it is also commonly used as a carving material. However this mineral typically does not have such a soapy feel as that from which soapstone derives its name."

So - how soapy does it feel mellowred? LOL!!