Sign in to follow this  
DA_LION_619

Petrol Industry Strike

DA_LION_619    10
DA_LION_619

Just hit me now, how is gonna affect us who send and receive goods via any transport system

Tjaart van der walt    10
Tjaart van der walt
Just hit me now, how is gonna affect us who send and receive goods via any transport system

True DA_LION think of all the negative ratings that we're going to recieve as some buyers don't accept any excusess. Maby we must start listing fuel on bob wonder if they would stop us :)

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Lol, I knew the 2010 "Goodwill" would not last. So we had a month of peace, calm, service delivery and everyone behaving themselves.

Yippee:rolleyes: :P But back to the real South Africa. Buckle up everyone, looks like we're in for another rollercoaster ride of irritations.

brands online    10
brands online

Yup, just heard SAPO might strike in September AGAIN:mad:

kebs    10
kebs

Fantastic... Then it'll be time to update listings & recommend courier delivery.. :mad:

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Courier won't work kebs , the whole country is at strike, how is the courier companies going to make it if they can't fill up

mellowred    10
mellowred
Lol, I knew the 2010 "Goodwill" would not last. So we had a month of peace, calm, service delivery and everyone behaving themselves.

Yippee:rolleyes: :P But back to the real South Africa. Buckle up everyone, looks like we're in for another rollercoaster ride of irritations.

Is it just that my memory banks are on strike, or were there NO electricity warnings flashing on TV while the world cup was on?

Just last week I noticed the 6:30pm regular red bar across my TV warning me to turn off all "except the TV" and honestly I can' remember having seen it for ages.

How did Escom supply all that electricity for a month and now I'm not even allowed to tumble dry and cook at the same time :confused::confused:

SProducts    10
SProducts

Is this serious?

About the Petrol Industry, are they really on strike?

Sipho

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

yip. there were all standing there at the engine garage looking violent

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Is this serious?

About the Petrol Industry, are they really on strike?

Sipho

Yes, unfortunately it is true, Sipho. Even here in our little cathedral city in the Eastern Cape. Fortunately I heard on the news on Friday or Saturday that there was going to be this petrol attendants' strike so both our cars have full tanks. Am just wondering how long the strike will continue and, even more important, who will be the next to strike? Post Office? Dairy? Hairdressers? Any other suggestions? :P

DestinysAngels    10
DestinysAngels

:oHow about all housewifes who runs the household without any pay and listen to whining children and selfish husbands mowning all day long and then the faithfull and loyal husbands who work religiously to income their family to give them a better life and future but yet they are underpaid and then last but not least, the sellers on BOB to teach all the buyers a very good lesson in ethics!;)

Kit W    10
Kit W

Unfortunately the "SWC honeymoon" is now over and the TAIL is now wagging the DOG once again. I often wonder about the "No work, no pay" slogan that is so freely used - can you see this happening?

The spin off of all the rejected wage increase DEMANDS is now spilling over to the other unions. NUM has indicated their support to the strike as well. As for SAPO, they seem to be on a permanent GO SLOW -eish!!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Lily

who will be the next to strike?

Watch us! If our demands are not met (higher prices on the Wednesday Crazy Auctions) all the Stamp Dealers will join the revolution.

Regards

Jacques

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Stamp out striking stamp dealers! Good grief, Jacques! Please do NOT go on strike (especially not from the forum!) :P

ClickandShip    10
ClickandShip

Was at the Post Office this morning and was told that SAPO Employees are planning a strike within the next month, however members at the Zeerust Branch will NOT be participating.:D

The Lady said something about an issue that was supposed to have been resolved yesterday that would influence the action but was unclear on the details.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

My thoughts on the striking workers - fire the lot of them!

Then let them reapply for their jobs (that's if they ever intend to work again) but at the same salary as they were getting when they started their strike(s). BUT, at the same time, let the President, his wives and all MP's take at least 40% reduction in THEIR salaries backdated to 1st March 2010 (beginning of the present tax year!) ;) This would be my solution to the current problems with strikers. ;)

mellowred    10
mellowred

I can't agree with you here Lilly

My thoughts on the striking workers - fire the lot of them!

Our police, health and education staff are grossly underpaid - and under-educated. Talks and negotiations have not worked, sitting back and accepting things as they are is not going to work either.

Fire them, then re-employ them all with requested increase, but under condition that within a year they are able to take courses and pass exams qualifying them for the positions they hold.

BUT, at the same time, let the President, his wives and all MP's take at least 40% reduction in THEIR salaries backdated to 1st March 2010 (beginning of the present tax year!) ;) This would be my solution to the current problems with strikers. ;)

This I agree with 100% :). It is my reason for backing the strikers. South Africa is renowned for the discrepancy between "workers" and "management" salaries. This applies both in the private and public sectors.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Another reason why the public service personnel are so bent on getting what they want is that there is information that parliament will be getting a 15% salary increase on top of their current excellent salaries that already include all the perks that other public servants don't get. We will see what happens???

There is also alot of unhappiness as posts that become vacant are not filled for months and sometimes for years and in the meantime, the others available have to carry the vacant post's work on top of their own. This is part of the reason why service delivery has gone down-hill. People are fed-up with the bureaucracy that is barely functioning.

mellowred    10
mellowred

@ Tananka that is really disturbing. 15% is a very high increase in these economic times. And as you say this is on top of already inflated salaries.

I've spend time as a patient in Groote Schuur hospital - total of 7 days over three visits.

Most of the staff were generally helpful and dedicated. The rest - oh my what a waste of tax payers money. One nurses' assistant (she looked quite efficient in her uniform) did not know how to place a bedpan, and was very openly reluctant to clean the patient that had had to use one. Why was she being paid a salary?:confused: Who employed her?:confused:

The caring one's work 12 hour shifts and have to pick up the pieces left behind by the incompetent morons who are most likely the only one's willing to come into the profession at the rates offered. If you take inflation vs increases, the experienced staff are more than likely earning half what they were when they started out.

Now I'm going to go on strike. If Hennie wants his socks washed he is just going to have to pay me more :P

ClickandShip    10
ClickandShip

Perhaps I am mean and insensitive but I think that if those in the public sector can't get by on their wages then they should do what the rest of us do - find a second income and MAKE IT WORK.

I don't do BoB for fun, but without the income I would not be able to cover my living expenses. Does't mean I should resort to disrupting the lives and income of countless people that rely on the service that I am PAID to provide.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

True, I agree, you will be surprised to know how many public servants do have a second income out of desperation.

I don't at all agree with the way they are going about it.

The violence and intimidation isn't necessary and I saw today that a woman here in Durban was sentenced today for intimidation during the strike. This needs to happen more often, so that fewer will be tempted in te future.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I have no objection to people doing second jobs to manage in economically depressed times. Plenty of people outside government are working at second jobs to supplement their salaries.

I have plenty of objection to people striking, and even bigger objection to them causing anarchy in our country! There are millions of people who would LOVE the chance to have a job, no matter how menial, and would be only too happy to be employed in the strikers' positions.

But, before getting rid of all the strikers (i.e. firing them and telling them to reapply for their jobs, they need to cut all MP's and Senior Municipality Staff's salaries by at least 40%!)

Our country is in what some call a "recession" but which I feel is a real "depression"!! :mad: