Sign in to follow this  
BumbleBee

Ripped off by "Rings n Things"

BumbleBee

:confused: I just received 2 SNCs from a seller for these two auctions I won:

Gold - CERTIFIED 2.85CT BLUE SAPPHIRE & DIAMOND RING 14KT GOLD was sold for R1.00 on 28 Jul at 22:01 by Rings n Things in United States (ID:24206837)

Gold - CERTIFIED 0.30CT DIAMOND COCKTAIL RING 14KT YELLOW GOLD was sold for R1.00 on 28 Jul at 22:01 by Rings n Things in United States (ID:24206833)

The reason for this SNC by the seller is completely unjustified and false. Full payment of R304 was made on 29 Jul 07:58 via BoBPay-EFT

The seller stated that I ignored a "notification of customs and vat payable" in the SNC. This alleged "notification of customs and vat payable" was NEVER received by me, this was supposed to be included in the "shipping" cost as stated by the seller which was paid in full on each item won by me. Here are the seller's terms clearly stating this fact:

----------

Your parcel will reach you approx 1-2 weeks after payment has cleared from us.

We are in California – USA therefore the fee.

We speed deliver to SA.

After it is cleared by your local customs (duty free) we will mail you your local tracking number.

Shipment fee is R151.00 and is made up as follows:

R90.00 = speed delivery from USA to SA via airmail. A parcel of 10-15 items depending on weight cost a min of $140.00 to speed deliver therefore the cost is already shared and items cannot be combined. R6.00 = insurance (not optional) R30.00 = average import duty fees into SA R25.00 = local postage from our agent in SA to yourself.

----------

Both items were won for R1 each. I believe that the seller never intended to send the items but rather to risk a negative rating or simply file an SNC in the hope of getting away without loosing on an auction which did not achieve the desired winning bid and profiting on the rather high "shipping" costs that I had to pay. I refuse to accept a refund from the seller and I insist that the goods be delivered to me as stated by the terms set out by the seller.

So far I have waited a full 4 weeks before rating this seller and have tried to make contact with the supplied email address. The first response I received was two SNCs filed against ME after I rated the seller negatively for not delivering the goods within the 1-2 weeks as stated in the sellers terms. It should also be noted that on both of the listings this is very clearly stated: "FREE STANDARD INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING 2-4 WEEKS", instead I paid a full R302 for "postage" to have my items delivered within 1-2 weeks which has not happened.

I have just filed appeals on both of these SNCs and really hope that the BoB administration will take a serious look at this underhanded behaviour from this seller and even the actual location of the seller as I believe that the "local agent" is in fact the seller himself.

kyle2

Obviously the seller realised there was going to be a substantial loss on their part and as you say are trying whatever to get out of the deal, it is very obvious, blatently so in fact.

An auction won is exactly that, there is always risk involved and sellers must know that sometimes there will be a loss, they should have placed a reserve price on the item if they had any intentions for non delivery due to insuficiant gain.

I'd stick to my guns Bumble, don't give this Yank any quarter.

Bob needs to come to the party with this one, examples need to be made otherwise this will open doors to abuse.:mad:

Miss Jewels

Hi BumbleBee. As BoB what the sellers' name was before.... you'll be surprised. Had negative ratings on her old user name removed and then changed names. Only been in the USA for the past few months. In any case, her shipping costs are riduculous. I bring in 260 rings at a time, from one supplier, and only pay $45 for the lot (approx R360.00) It really is sickening that sellers are trying to generate their income through shipping. An there are quite a few on the site lately.

Angolo Antico

I had lengthy discussions with Morne a few months ago regarding this seller and the fraud that was committed by him/her.

It was either 4-5 negative ratings that gave her game away, she was selling fashion rings as SOLID gold set with GENUINE gemstones, The more I spoke to Morne the more he would explain to me that without solid proof they had their hands tied, so after showing him an auction I had last year for the EXACT same ring and some auctions miss jewels had ( SAME rings ) ( we both marketed it as FASHION jewellery ) I convinced him to contact one buyer to send her ring to me and I would at my own expense get a report from our jeweller stating the obvious, that the ring is plated and set with CZ stones, unfortunately the buyer never replied.

BOB also Removed those ratings without further investigation :confused:

The seller sold those specific rings just before going to the US, wonder if the seller needed the money for her plane ticket :rolleyes:

I will stake my reputation & money that she committed fraud, where will you be able to buy a solid gold ring with diamonds/gemstones for $10-$15, alarm bells should have gone off immediately.

I ask that if any person who has bought from her a so called solid gold ring, to sent it to me for testing, a qualified jeweller with over 40 years experience will conduct the test, due to the nature of the test, the ring you supply will be damaged as most probably it is only a fashion ring, if it is solid gold, then the ring will be usable and no signs of the test will be visible.

qball

Hi All

Allegations of fraud are taken seriously, however, without the required documented evidence to support these allegations we cannot take action, if the buyer does not come forward with these items and reports, our hands will be tied.

Unfortunately we do not base these decisions on reputations or accusations. If the proof can be supplied to us we will take the necessary action. Now, please stick to the topic at hand which is the charges on this item. We believe we know why this has happened. The seller has indicated on the invoice for the item that the value is $2100 (estimated retail value) and not R751 that was paid by the buyer. SARS/Customs have obviously picked up on this and are charging duties and VAT on that amount not the R751. This money does NOT go to the seller, but to SARS. This is not fraud and could be a simple oversight on the part of the seller. We will be advising the seller of this too.

The seller also states the following in their shipping terms - "We are no liable or responsible for any customs+vat for your country charges over the amont of R500.00 of the value of your purchase i.e. if the value of your item is above R500+ your country may impose vat + customs charges pls check this value before comitting."

Thank you

Cuan

BumbleBee

I seem to bump my shins on these types of sellers far too often (Hi Shooters, enjoying our money?). Well the SNC appeal came back with "seller at fault" so now we just wait and see if the seller wants his/her account unlocked.

PS. If you ever wondered what a shin is for, it is a tool for finding furniture in the dark :D

BumbleBee
Hi All

Allegations of fraud are taken seriously, however, without the required documented evidence to support these allegations we cannot take action, if the buyer does not come forward with these items and reports, our hands will be tied.

Unfortunately we do not base these decisions on reputations or accusations. If the proof can be supplied to us we will take the necessary action. Now, please stick to the topic at hand which is the charges on this item. We believe we know why this has happened. The seller has indicated on the invoice for the item that the value is $2100 (estimated retail value) and not R751 that was paid by the buyer. SARS/Customs have obviously picked up on this and are charging duties and VAT on that amount not the R751. This money does NOT go to the seller, but to SARS. This is not fraud and could be a simple oversight on the part of the seller. We will be advising the seller of this too.

Thank you

Cuan

The buyer fully intends to have the items tested if they ever arrive. If I may correct you Cuan, I paid R304 in total for both rings and postage which the seller clearly states includes customs and duties in the postage costs. How are you getting this information because the seller is still not replying to any of my emails?

qball

My humblest apologies, I am dealing with another matter similar to this with the same seller, where they have been charged R5000 odd for VAT and duties... and this is stated on the shipping agents documentation.

We have subsequently disabled the account and removed all the sellers listings until they contact us, as we too have not been able to get hold of them or a response.

Please accept my apologies regarding this, I have it confused with another buyer re: the VAT and duties.

Kind regards

Cuan

Miss Jewels

Account Disabled!

BumbleBee

OK Guys, we appear to have been had! The negatives are piling up fast on this user's account. It would appear that the "seller" knows that we are on to his scheme. What it looks like is this guy is selling something on auction and then holding your items "ransom" until you pay the el-fake-o "customs and VAT" fees! He doesn't loose. Don't pay the fake fees and don't get your item, pay the crazy fictitious fees and maybe you get your item. Very clever :o

Cuan, are you any closer to uncovering whats going on here and who the local "agent" is?

Miss Jewels

Hi BumbleBee and Cuan. Please check this persons previous user name "Flowerpak-On-Line/FlowerPak" Same story...except advertising "gold" jewelry that that in actual fact plated and 10 k White gold" that was also plated. Most users buy from the same overseas sources. The difference is, the honest ones list the auctions correctly while the greedy list as lab diamonds, white gold, yellow gold etc. without giving the exact descriptions. The result? The greedy sellers get high prices for costume jewelry misrepresented as the genuine thing. I'm not saying this is the case, but while using the name Flowerpak, it certainly was the case!

qball
OK Guys, we appear to have been had! The negatives are piling up fast on this user's account. It would appear that the "seller" knows that we are on to his scheme. What it looks like is this guy is selling something on auction and then holding your items "ransom" until you pay the el-fake-o "customs and VAT" fees! He doesn't loose. Don't pay the fake fees and don't get your item, pay the crazy fictitious fees and maybe you get your item. Very clever :o

Cuan, are you any closer to uncovering whats going on here and who the local "agent" is?

Since this has been reported to us and we have started investigating the seller, they have not responded to any of our requests, emails or phone calls over the last 2 weeks, thus we disabled the account and removed all listings. Our recommendation is to open a case of theft against them and we provide details to you and the investigating officers. Our security team have just sent out a mail to buyers who purchased over the last month to open cases if they have not received the goods or who have had no contact from the seller recently.

Kind regards

Cuan

qball
Hi BumbleBee and Cuan. Please check this persons previous user name "Flowerpak-On-Line/FlowerPak" Same story...except advertising "gold" jewelry that that in actual fact plated and 10 k White gold" that was also plated. Most users buy from the same overseas sources. The difference is, the honest ones list the auctions correctly while the greedy list as lab diamonds, white gold, yellow gold etc. without giving the exact descriptions. The result? The greedy sellers get high prices for costume jewelry misrepresented as the genuine thing. I'm not saying this is the case, but while using the name Flowerpak, it certainly was the case!

They were issued with warnings in this regard and started listing the item correctly as far as we can tell, using terms like "gold clad" etc.

BumbleBee
Since this has been reported to us and we have started investigating the seller, they have not responded to any of our requests, emails or phone calls over the last 2 weeks, thus we disabled the account and removed all listings. Our recommendation is to open a case of theft against them and we provide details to you and the investigating officers. Our security team have just sent out a mail to buyers who purchased over the last month to open cases if they have not received the goods or who have had no contact from the seller recently.

Kind regards

Cuan

How can we open such a case if the seller is based in the USA?

qball

We believe the "seller" or someone is has access to the account is based locally (after investigating certain things) and payments are made into a local bank account number, thus the police can subpoena the bank for the account holder details to track the seller. We also have an ID number which the police can check.

Kind regards

Cuan

Miss Jewels
How can we open such a case if the seller is based in the USA?

Firstly you need to obtain his/her ID number Take this to the police station. They will assist with the necessary. You also need to obtain their physical address in the UK - get this from BoB - and take with you to the police station. From there the ball will start rolling. I also have someone that I use for tracing people like this. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll respond.