Sign in to follow this  
kyle2

Gilded and coloured 1969 R1

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

I can't see if it is enamelled or just "painted" but these coins are hugely collectable. A few years ago a named collection of Victorian and earlier - back to Charles II - silver coins (all enameld) sold for outrages prices on a Spink & Son auction in London. I think it was owned by BoB Isley from Dolphin Coins.

I recently saw a ZAR Kruger collection from the 5/- down to the 3d - all enamelled -.

Some would shudder from this but in Victorian times this was the "in thing" to do and many ladies of the day wore those as adorenments.

Obviously a "colorful" 1969 R1 don't originate from those times but it is still a collectable item. In the 1970's there was a guy in Cape Town who specilazed in colorizing coins for a fee and the coin might stem from that period - it looks quite professionaly done.

But beware of someones 5-year old daughter taking a Koki-pen and start coloring in that 1931 ticky of yours ...

Pierre

kyle2    10
kyle2

Thanks Pierre, I had no idea, but I think I'll stick to the original mint issues silvers for now, better safe than sorry as they say.:)

qball    11
qball

This is illegal in terms of the SARB Act. You may not deface, alter or change the image of any coin.

kyle2    10
kyle2

I knew it was something that was plagueing my thought on the matter.

Thanks Cuan, would this mean that one could not sell this type of coin on Bob?:confused:

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

Apparently not Kyle, item deleted

stevedel65    10
stevedel65
This is illegal in terms of the SARB Act. You may not deface, alter or change the image of any coin.

Is this apllicable to any coin or just current circulation issue coins?

What about "Trench Art" coins,"Graffiti Mandela""Coins with pinholes" "Ex-mounts""Flattened Bronze Coin" etc,etc

All on BOB right now

coins by mail    10
coins by mail

Defaced coins

As you say Cuan - you may not deface or alter coins according to the Act. What about selling previously altered or defaced coins? What about the hoards of silver coins being melted ? - surely that is defacing in the extreme, but as far as I know not illegal as this was also done on a grand scale by the mint. I know you did not write the Act, but I think what the composer of the Act had in mind was that CURRENCY in current use not be defaced.

Anyway - I deleted all those auctions. Also, Pierre, I think that the ones I have were actually done about 1995 or even a bit later. They were gilded, then coloured on the inside of a perspex lining that was fixed to the coins. I also have a set of ZAR's of these. This was probably a little less work than covering in enamel. Thanks a lot for your excellent input on this.

I can also add to the list that Steve made that the mint actually manufactures jewelery from coins (currency) and in doing so deface the coins. (And what about all those Rhodesian coins with holes in the middle! nudge nudge)

qball    11
qball

This applies to any coin minted by the SA Mint, whether in circulation or not. It does not apply to trench art, ZAR coins or tokens with holes in them. Even a Kruger Rand mounted in jewellery could be considered altering the appearance of the coin.

The point we are trying to make, is that the SARB does look at the site and if the see such items they will take legal action against the seller, holder or dealer selling such items. We would obviously like to avoid any issues with the Reserve Bank, like recently when they noticed many of the sellers not complying with the policy of watermarking bank notes.

We would appreciate everyone's co-operation and understanding in this regard.

Thank you

Cuan