Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

2008 R5 without Mandela head.

4kids
Its like farting against thunder. Sometimes you just need to stand back and watch a fire burn out.

Where there is thunder there is almost always lightning and where there is lightning there is always a spark. Guess the farts will catch a spark and blow up ... lol..

The craze is on a downhill .:D:D:D:D

Dulal
'scuse me.....just popping in here to make something clear. There was a bit of talk on another thread regarding toned coins, someone mentioned something later on about toned Mandela coins surfacing. This tickled my interest a little and I thought I would beat the other okes to the punch and quickly did an experiment on one of the parking tokens I had lying around. The point I was trying to make is that it is extremely simple and quick to do and to let people know that there is absolutely nothing special about it. I never intended to sell it or have it graded by anyone for any reason whatsoever.

I do realise that the "local boys" are relatively new in the grand scheme of things and are trying to build up their reputation. I personally have never seen one of their slabs first hand but have noted many true collector's comments about the accuracy of their grading. This started to convince me of their ever growing status amongst the Numismatic community. However, after seeing hoards of Mandela R5 flying through here with what can only be described as comical grades I have started to question their seriousness and commitment to the hobby.

Hi Bumblebee

Is there any link between artificial tonnig (AT) of a coin and defacing of a coin? Hope somebody will elaborate on this fine line.

I have three locally graded coins. You know I am not a true collector, still walking on the side line. But I must say their grading accuracy is upto mark ( in relation to my three coins). I think you can try and test their service.

Of course will knock on your door one day to learn your newly acquired capabililities of AT, at the same time visiting Tzaneen.

regards

Dulal

kyle2

You're in trouble now Bumble................:P

BumbleBee

LoL, I don't think it falls under defacing, but you could be right, it is a fine line. I think the term "defacing" would mean physically damaging a coin like drilling a hole to make a keyring, scratching funny stuff on it like drawing a pipe and a hat or putting the coin on a train track.....hmmm theres an idea . Like I said before, it is very simple, just blast it with a heat gun. Also works well to turn copper coins a silver colour. The coin is still uncirculated and untouched, touching it will replace your fingerprints with a happy face. You have been warned.

kyle2

You know, I was always tempted to take an old R5 coin remove the features both sides and use it as a dog tag, its about the right size.

Dog tags are R20 each! LOL.

Don't all get your nickers in a knot! I have'nt done this,...............yet!:P

BumbleBee

Can you imaging how many old copper coins like the 1c and 2c were drilled to make washers for the same reason? Wonder how many of those okes are kicking themselves now for drilling a hole through there 1965 1c coins :o

kyle2

Yes, crazy how the 65 is valued, I believe the 65 afr 50c is also quite scarce. I don't know how many 1c and 2c coins I soldered as a kid, could have been a 65 in there, was a fun thing to do. Hey I was a Kid of 6 and had not idea of the law back then for the mother grundies wanting to make an issue out of it!:P

Dulal
You know, I was always tempted to take an old R5 coin remove the features both sides and use it as a dog tag, its about the right size.

Dog tags are R20 each! LOL.

Don't all get your nickers in a knot! I have'nt done this,...............yet!:P

hI kyle2

If I take a bi-metal R5, knokout goldish part from silverish part, than place it back up side down (i.e overse to reverse). Will it be defacing or refacing?

Dulal

4kids
hI kyle2

If I take a bi-metal R5, knokout goldish part from silverish part, than place it back up side down (i.e overse to reverse). Will it be defacing or refacing?

Dulal

n gatkant voor onderstebo munt...

stevedel65
hI kyle2

Dulal

:DDo a few of them so when you get them graded try to get a collection MS65,MS66,MS67 etc,Put them up for sale ;) with a catchy phrase and you might just retire with the craze that is currently going on:rolleyes:

Dulal
:DDo a few of them so when you get them graded try to get a collection MS65,MS66,MS67 etc,Put them up for sale ;) with a catchy phrase and you might just retire with the craze that is currently going on:rolleyes:

Hi Steve

It will not grade. It is a serious defacing. Reason for bringing this issue is somebody may come up with such a coin and say it is a error: mismatch coin- only one in the world.

regards

Dulal

kyle2

Hi Dulal, don't stress about it, most people on this forum won't deface anything, we're all just having a rag at what certain sellers get up to and certain grading companies, some get upset, others have a good laugh, so long as we stick on topic and not name names, bob leaves us generally alone.:)