Sign in to follow this  
moppies

PSP - what to buy

moppies    10
moppies

My son wants a PSP. I had a look at the listings under the gaming section and now I'm confused:

What is the difference is between the PSP's (1000, 2000 and 3000, slim ....)

Please - I need advise - good advise!;)

moppies    10
moppies

Thanks Daykie - I knew you would respond!:)

Another question: Does all the games available for PSP fit on all (3000 and slim) consoles?

And

What do you cosider as a fair prize for a second hand console? (If I may ask)

Steve87    10
Steve87

Hi moppies. Like Daykie said, there are currently two quite different PSP models available on the retail market the PSP-3000 and PSP Go, or three if you look carefully (PSP-2000), plus another you can find used (PSP-1000). If you are buying the PSP as a gift then you will probably be interested in buying a bundled psp package. The following is some info I found that you might find helpful. Its a mouthful but hey, you do want the best PSP for your boy right. By the way the 2000 and 3000 can run skype!

The Best PSP for Homebrew: PSP 1000

This is the very first PSP model manufactured back in 2004. It’s bigger than all the other models that come after it. It’s highly likely you won’t find one of these brand new, but you can definitely find a great 2nd hand console.

- Homebrew refers to at-home programming, primarily by amateur programmers or hackers. Homebrew programs include games, utility software, downgraders, game system emulators, and pretty much anything you can imagine wanting to run on a PSP.

The Best PSP for UMD Gaming and Movies: PSP 2000

If you're just looking for a machine to play retail games and movies or PlayStation Network content, then the PSP-2000 or PSP-3000 will be your best bet. The main difference between the two models is the screen. You're most likely to find them in special edition bundles like the *** of War bundle with its red PSP-2000.

The Best PSP for All-Around Performance and Value: PSP 3000

If you want the best value for your rand, I think you'll find it in the PSP-3000. It's not as small as the PSP Go, but is smaller and lighter than the PSP 1000. It also has a brighter screen than the 1000 and 2000. The 3000 has a UMD drive as well which will allow him to watch movies and play UMD games.

For the flexibility of being able to play both downloaded and UMD games and movies (which, incidentally, any PSP model besides the PSPgo can do with a big enough memory stick), and for the lower cost and easy availability (compared to earlier models), I recommend the PSP-3000 for most gamers. Like the earlier models, but unlike the PSPgo, the PSP-3000 also has a user-replacable battery, which is handy if you own the machine long enough for the rechargeable battery to start wearing out.

The Best PSP for Portable Gaming and Movies: PSP Go

If he's excited about downloading games and movies, and doesn't care if he ever has to see a UMD game or movie again, you might consider the PSP Go. It's definitely smaller than the previous PSP models, being a size that you could actually carry in a normal-sized pocket. It is the latest model out there as well.

The PSPgo also has the highest cool factor--you really can't beat that sliding screen--but it's a factor you'll pay for, as the PSPgo also costs considerably more than the PSP-3000.

Aside from the higher price, the main drawback of the PSPgo is the lack of UMD drive. If you have games on UMD, you won't be able to play them on the PSPgo, so you'll probably want to choose a different model. If you intend to download all your games anyway, don't want to run homebrew, and need super-small portability, then the PSPgo is the PSP for you.

I hope this helps a bit!

moppies    10
moppies
Steve87    10
Steve87

Given those four options, I would personally pick the PSP that comes with the Prince of Persia Game. I say this because the product is new, its a PSP 3000 and it comes with a pouch plus a game. The game alone brand new would probably cost you more than R300. So it looks like a good deal.

But you also have the PSP Go which closes tomorrow. You'd have to watch and see how far up the price goes though because it is a cool gadget.

That's my opinion.

DA_LION_619    10
DA_LION_619

I own a PSP;)

lets be frank the PSP GO sucks especially in South Africa where internet costs are high who has time to download also because I believe in the policy of money for matter

BEST OPTIONS

PSP 1000

PSP 3000

The PSP 2000 is the middle man and everybody hates the middle man as he serves no point

Now I'm gonna help you make your choice

PSP 1000- Easy to chip, so you can play ****ed games, saving money, screen is not so great as a PSP 3000 and has no skype

PSP 3000- Great screen, lighter, better battery life, can't be chipped well most of them

now consider this is your son gonna look after the games and PSP if not go with a PSP 1000, if he is and gonna be going out with it get a PSP 3000 it has a better screen for outdoors

By chip I mean soft-mod which is easy and you can do it yourself best to let him do it

Also to PSP games are cheap like for R100 for some great titles you can even get them cheaper on BOB from sellers like take2