Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

National Numismatic Certification???

kyle2

Most Odd. Most of these grading companies have some sort of hologram or something like that at the back.

This one lacks that air of proffesionalism that gives one confidence to buy it.:P

4kids

This company is also in the USA and the grading company also owns a coin dealership. They grade their own coins, badly but still. Any grade attributed by this company should be taken with a pinch of salt and halved at least to bring it up to a NGC or PCGS standard. I've seen many South African Buyers chasing these coins to high bid values and ended up with egg on their faces. The grade is this capsule is at best a VF...

BumbleBee

the labels look like they were printed on a bubblejet printer, could they not afford a laser printer?

MsPlod
the labels look like they were printed on a bubblejet printer, could they not afford a laser printer?

I thought they were maybe using a dot matrix printer and then photocopying it...:P

Thanks for the explanation 4kids!!:D

jwither

I agree with Jan's comments. To my knowledge, I have only seen one seller on eBay who sells these coins. In the United States, they are called a "self-slabber".

The other thing I would add is that these coins ARE NOT "CERTIFIED". They are graded and holdered. The distinction is that certified coins come with an authenticity guarantee and at least from NGC and PCGS, other guarantees such as the assigned grade where the owner may be compensated if they suffer an economic loss at future date. My recollection is that only NGC and PCGS offer the last type of guarantee while possibly ICG and ANACS guarantee authenticity. to my knowledge, none of the others provide any guarantee.

In buying these coins, I would treat them as an ungraded coin and assume that they will not grade at NGC or PCGS at all.

MsPlod

Thank you!!

Very grateful for all the information!:)

Guest Guest

I still find it quite intriguing (or disturbing) that the great majority of these questionable Mandela listings on BoB originate from one grading company.. namely SACGS

Kind regards

Scott Balson

4kids
I still find it quite intriguing (or disturbing) that the great majority of these questionable Mandela listings on BoB originate from one grading company.. namely SACGS

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Hi Scott,

The mere fact that a large portion of the "Parking Tokens" , I just had to get this in, Is graded by SACGS should not be an issue. It is cheaper for the local sellers to have their coins graded which they want to sell of by SACGS than sending it to the USA and in most instances it makes economic sense as most these coins are low in catalogue values. There are a few sellers now that are selling Union as well as ZAR pieces which was graded by the same company and I know that they have no affiliation with the grading company other than sending their coins, pay for the service and then go on selling them.

I myself recently bought a few pieces from such a seller "of Bid or Buy" and was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the grades compared to similar dates and denominations to those in my collection from NGC and PCGS.

I could not fault them in their grading accuracy, at least on the ones I bought.

Guest Guest

Agreed in general.. but would NGC or PCGS grade coins which have rust or other serious impediments as seen on BoB?

My understanding is that these graders send coins with serious impediments back ungraded.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

4kids
Agreed in general.. but would NGC or PCGS grade coins which have rust or other serious impediments as seen on BoB?

My understanding is that these graders send coins with serious impediments back ungraded.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Hi Scott,

Indeed NGC nowadays grade the coins with what is called a "details grade" and you will see items such as:

VF Details - scratched

XF Details - Improperly cleaned

AU Details - environmental damage "suppose this would be the rust factor etc."

They've taken this approach specifically to assist collectors that have been conned in buying "china fakes" which in my opinion is the way to go. It will not be long before only graded coins will trade for this reason. At least this way your item is guaranteed to be a genuine item and not a fake.