Sign in to follow this  
barbaro

Silver Mandeal Medal

barbaro

Hi there

The above coin has been listed on BOB. The exact description is 'USA Silver Mandela Nobel Prize Medal ' Where can i find more information about this coin/medal?

Barbaro

Vertigo

do you have the link to the item .

regards

Verts

jwither

You include no link but it cannot be a coin. Also, it cannot be a "USA" Nobel Prize medal because the United States does not award the Nobel Prize. It is awarded out of (I believe) Sweden.

If this mdeal was awarded from the United States, you might be able to obtain some information by just perfoming an internet search.

I do not see though how it could have much value. The "original" if there is one would have presumably been awarded to Mandela himself. All others would have just been copies.

jwither

It presumably was issued by the US Mint but it is definitely not a coin. And it is not a "Nobel Prize Medal" either. It appears to be a medal issued by the US Mint in Mandela's honor. I have never seen it, do not know how many there are or what it is worth.

barbaro

Sorry about not adding the link.

At the top of the advert in the orange block it says it was minted in Norway. Well ihave bid R295 on it, if i get it then fine but i'm pretty sure it's not gonna stay that price and the silver is probably worth more.

BumbleBee

As far as I know the silver price is around $18 (R140) per fine ounce. A close look at this medal will reveal that it is NOT silver but in fact silver plated (plated in 100mils of .999 silver), so you are wrong if you believe the silver is worth anything. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on silver coins then may I suggest taking a look at American Silver Eagles, I have one listed.

kyle2

Well done for noticing that bumble, I did not know the yanks were that sneaky, Imagine, they go to all the trouble of minting something in Madiba's honour and don't even bother to make it out of solid silver.

What do you think the base metal would be?

BumbleBee

Oh they are sneaky! I once bought a fine silver eagle on ebay, a really good looking one, missed the fine print though. When it arrived I was a bit surprised to see that it was much the same size as a tickey.

So beware of anything that says 1 gram or 100 mils unless you are specifically collecting that sort of thing.

Base metal? 10 to 1 probably some cheap copper alloy, definitely nothing worth money.

barbaro

Thank you for all the feedback and for noticing that it's not pure silver.

I will have a look at your coin BumbleBee.

barbaro

I noticed that this auction closed early and the winning bid was R330...