Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Another Astonishing Price for a Union Coin on BoB ....

Pierre_Henri

Looks like Union Coins are this year's big winners.

A Mint State 1934 Half Crown sold today on BoB for R75 000 against a catalogue price of R5200 - that is almost 15 times Cat. value

Graded Coins - 1934 Half Crown NGC MS63 - ULTRA RARE!!! - ONE OF ONLY 4 IN MINT STATE!!! was sold for R75,000.00 on 16 Aug at 14:46 by ALJADA in Johannesburg (ID:24752714)

What a fantastic year for Union of South Africa coins!

Pierre

coinoisseur

Union is definately the flavor of the month, but look at this, someone forked out R35,000 for this coin.............. :mad: They will never learn will they

Graded - NELSON MANDELA YEAR 2000 R5 , PCGS GRADED MS 66 - HIGHEST GRADE ON BOB - FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING was sold for R35,000.00 on 16 Aug at 14:39 by collectorscurrencysa in Scottburgh (ID:24288173)

Cheers

jwither

The price on the 2000 Mandela was completely absurd.

The 1934 halfcrown I consider a little bit high, but not much. If that is the catalog price (as I do not have the 2010), it is far too low for that coin. The 1934 is a very scarce coin. According to the census, its scarcer than the 1925 which most collectors probably is a rarer coin which is why it cost more. There are actually five (including PCGS) of the 1934 in MS while the 1925 has 7.

Pierre_Henri

Who are they?

They will never learn will they

Yes, they wil never learn - is it the meek that will inherit the earth ?

Pierre

kyle2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, collectors will pay anything for a coin if they feel need it, case of heart over head.

4kids

Another Rare Coin currently on offer - 1926 Shilling AU55

Way more rarer that the ZAR 1893 Shilling is the 1926 AU 55 Shilling currently on offer here on BoB and I can not help to wonder how many collectors know the scarcity of this piece. With only four AU/MS pieces graded at NGC against the whole host of ZAR shillings, this coin is set to attract much attention with SA Union Collectors.

See the coin here 1926 AU55

Here is the current population report from NGC, have a look and post your comments on this piece.

532225_100908095034_1926-1.jpg

532225_100908095515_1926-3.jpg

Guest Guest

Credibility and sellers...

The seller of the 1934 half crown adds more credibility than the slabbing. (Look at his sticky on BoB)

Well done Alex (aka ALJADA).

PS that Mandela listing Anthony lists was all based around the credibility of PCGS (the slabber) NOT THE COIN BEING SOLD... some would call it clever marketing I think it is deceptive.

That is why I PERSONALLY WILL NOT BUY from some sellers on BoB regardless of what they offer. If they list something deceptively I will not, on principle, buy from them in the future.

See the same seller has another MS66 coin listed at ZAR35,000.. once bitten, twice shy? http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/25570922/NELSON_MANDELA_YEAR_2000_R5_PCGS_GRADED_MS_66_HIGHEST_GRADE_ON_BOB_FREE_OVERNIGHT_SHIPPING.html

Getting back to Alex's coin....

A Mint State 1934 Half Crown sold today on BoB for R75 000 against a catalogue price of R5200 - that is almost 15 times Cat. value
PS Pierre if that is Hern's book on SA Coin Catalogue you are talking about then it looks like Hern's book on token coins is not the only one with unrealistic values.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Dulal
Union is definately the flavor of the month, but look at this, someone forked out R35,000 for this coin.............. :mad: They will never learn will they

Graded - NELSON MANDELA YEAR 2000 R5 , PCGS GRADED MS 66 - HIGHEST GRADE ON BOB - FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING was sold for R35,000.00 on 16 Aug at 14:39 by collectorscurrencysa in Scottburgh (ID:24288173)

Cheers

On 15 Dec 2009, PCGS GRADED MS66 Mandela 2000 R5 was sold R4980 by Randcoin.

Around that time another PCGS MS66 Mandela 2000 R5 was sold +/- R2600 as per I remember.I was one of the bidder on that coin.My R1800 was too small.

Dulal

Pierre_Henri

1893 ZAR Shilling vs. 1926 Union Shilling

There is no comparison - the Union 1926 shilling being 3 to 4 times scarcer in almost all grades.

A 1893 ZAR Shilling in XF45 sold a few weeks ago on BoB for R25 000.

The highest graded 1926 Shilling EVER sold on BoB was a G6...

BUT, there are MORE ZAR than Union collectors so the demand for the former are say three times more than the latter?

So at the end of the day, I would say that the Union 1926 Shilling will sell in that approx. range - R20 000 to R25 000?

But as they say - it only takes two bidders to sky rocket the price - and for the vendor - to go to heaven ...

Pierre

jwither
There is no comparison - the Union 1926 shilling being 3 to 4 times scarcer in almost all grades.

A 1893 ZAR Shilling in XF45 sold a few weeks ago on BoB for R25 000.

The highest graded 1926 Shilling EVER sold on BoB was a G6...

BUT, there are MORE ZAR than Union collectors so the demand for the former are say three times more than the latter?

So at the end of the day, I would say that the Union 1926 Shilling will sell in that approx. range - R20 000 to R25 000?

But as they say - it only takes two bidders to sky rocket the price - and for the vendor - to go to heaven ...

Pierre

I too believe that the 1926 1/ is scarcer than the 1893 1/, but HOW MUCH is open to question and is ABSOLUTELY NOT correctly reflected in the NGC and PCGS census.

This is something I have commented upon many times. The primary reason why MOST ZAR coins have a larger census population than Union is because of their MARKET PRICE. That is invariably true of the United States where graded coins are also preferred to raw ones.

Most of the difference in this example is with the lower graded coins. Take a look at the MS numbers. The 1926 actually has four in MS while the 1893 only has one. With AU, there are more for the 1893 (14 versus 2) but in all likelihood, I would expect that there are probably more 1926 remaining to be graded than the 1893 in better grades because of the difference in current market value.

If anyone makes a comparison of other scarcer Union to ZAR dates, a similar pattern exists with many of them.

Pierre_Henri
4kids
Look what happend last night.

BTW, regarding my prediction for the 1926 shilling (between R20 and R25K) - see final price realized ...

Graded Coins - 1926 shilling AU55 NGC ## LQQK-RARE FIND ##-HIGH GRADE BEAUTY-grab a bargain was sold for R22,150.00 on 13 Sep at 20:46 by enzo86 in Durban (ID:25472461)

Right on the MONEY Pierre.

By the way, despite the fact that many collectors believe that we all can kick a MS George V coin from under any bush. All three the coins that sold are worth it and may never be seen again.

CONGRATULATION ON THESE WINNERS. YOU BOUGHT WISELY!

Vertigo

hi all.

thats great news for george v collectors , I expected the 26 shilling to go much higher , the buyer bought a 100 grand coin