Sign in to follow this  
SpearMint

Signed Soccer Shirts & COA

SpearMint    10
SpearMint

Hi,

There are a number sellers on BoB auctioning 'signed and authenticated' soccer shirts. The information I am getting is very vague regarding the validity of the certificate of authenticity. One seller offers a "local life time guarantee". Other sellers just don't answer my questions posted. I was wondering if anyone tell me how one can verify (preferrably online) one of these certificates and which third party certifier I should look out for in order that I can "bid with confidence". To me anyone with a decent printer and limited PC skills can create their own COA and get Joe Soap next door to sign-off the next Wayne Rooney shirt....but how can a buyer be sure that the shirt he buys is the real thing signed by his/her hero????

PS! No smart Man utd comments please!!!:)

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

I'm wondering if DNA testing would be a viable authentication method here?

kyle2    10
kyle2

This is a very difficult problem, unfortunately there will allways be forgeries out there, I remember the saga of the two 1994 signed kick off rugby balls, one was authentic, but both owners claimed true authenticity. Unless you were there or have photgraphic proof of the thing being signed it is very difficult. They have companies in the states which verify signatures, but have not heard of such here.:cool:

I suppose if you are buying it for nostalgia sake it shouldn't matter but I'd be careful if you're going to resell it.

DA_LION_619    10
DA_LION_619

my best advice, bid on the guy with a lifetime guarantee also who is verified with BOB

ECONOZONE    10
ECONOZONE

Buy a shirt, sign it yourself and tell your mates it was signed by whoever but don't try sell it.This way you will know for sure it is a fake and save yourself a lot of cash.