Sign in to follow this  
JOHNEL

New grading catagory ???

kyle2    10
kyle2

No Idea, apparently its the only one, so arguably no-one could comment on it? I would like to know how they give a market related price and where would one go to get that information? Can anyone enlighten us as to what a Graffiti coin is?

RISadler    10
RISadler

Huh? You mean someone wrote "Kilroy was here!" on the coin and then had it graded?

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

I was under the impression that defacing currency was a criminal offence. :confused:

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Making a mockery of the grading houses...

No one is making a better mockery of the grading houses than they themselves and the sellers who seriously put up a coin like this stating it is worth R35,000.

It has GOT to be a joke...

Anyhow, I have sent a question "Can you upload a close-up photograph of the graffiti please?" to the seller and will feed back their response... ;)

jwither    10
jwither

I tried the link but the listing has been deleted.

Without the image, I cannot comment to the full extent because I do not know what I am commenting on. But based upon the prior posts, I am assuming that this coin is in a NGC "Details" holder because no coin with grafitti is eligible for a numerical grade.

If this is correct, there is nothing wrong with what NGC did with this coin or any other like it. NGC clearly states what the reasons are for not assigning a numerical grade. This guide is available for FREE on the NGC website. It is the buyer's fault if they are so ignorant that they consider this DEFECT some kind of "badge of honor" and actually worthy of a higher price.

As to what grafitti is, it is writing or partial writing or anything like it that defaces a coin. Outside of coins, it's what you see in many cities on building walls when you walk down the street. You may not see it in South Africa but its relatively common in cities like New York in some areas of town.

4kids    10
4kids
No one is making a better mockery of the grading houses than they themselves and the sellers who seriously put up a coin like this stating it is worth R35,000.

It has GOT to be a joke...

In defence to third party grading services such as NGC, PCGS, SACGS, ANACS etc, I have to say that the mere nature of their business is in fact just that, to grade any coin that is submitted to them as a third party for renumeration and profit.

These companies can not decide or discriminate against a particular coin and not grade it as it is everyone's right to make use of this service.

This said, I've raised my concerns against the unscrupulous sale of these Mandela 90th Birthday coins and even went as far as to assign a price to graded specimens in another post and I will relentlessly continue to advise any collector not to buy any of these coins at prices higher than what I've published.

kyle2    10
kyle2

I'd love to know why this item was deleted, anyone know, admin?

JOHNEL    10
JOHNEL

This is also new to me !!!...grading a rusted coin?....do you now have to put your coins out in the rain??

Thttp://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/25018780/_SACGS_GRADING_RUST_VERY_RARE_GRADE_2008_MANDELA_B_DAY_R5_COIN.htm

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Rare Weak Strike Mandela For J U S T Zar45,000!

Hi Cuan

This is becoming a joke!

Now flawed coins (like a weak strike) - see item below are being offered for sale at ridiculous prices. READ ZAR45,000 in this case! And the seller is conveniently located in Portugal.

See: Other Mandela Coins - NELSON MANDELA 2008 BIRTHDAY MINT ERROR GRADED WEAK STRIKE R5 Coin - FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY for sale in Portugal (ID:24487114)

Here is what the seller says on his listing:

MINT ERROR - 1 in the WORLD ONLY ! Mandela WEAKLY STRUCK MINT ERROR ! EXCEPTIONALLY RARE !

THERE IS ONLY 1 OF THESE IN THE WORLD , A TOTALLY UNIQUE ITEM .

Slabbed and Graded by Coin Grading Service United Kingdom (CGS) , the UK´s major coin grader , a MINT ERROR WEAK STRIKE 2008 Nelson Mandela Birthday Coin , just look at the pictures and see the poor quality of reverse strike on this coin , in our opinion a highly attractive and rare coin to have .

Please do something about this because it is making BoB look really, really bad.

PS Has anyone heard of "Coin Grading Service UK"? And that does not look like a BAR CODE.. also what is W615? And what is CGS UNC 85?

I have just Googled "coin grading service uk" and there are only nine matches - mainly Mandela error coins - something does not add up here.

Among these listings is an UNC 90 not sold here on BoB.. http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/24779138/CGS_Nelson_Mandela_BIRTHDAY_R5_Coin_UNC_90.html

I must be getting old because I have always understood the best grading a coin can get is "70"...

Kind regards

Scott Balson

kyle2    10
kyle2

Coudn't find it? never heard of a rusty graded coin before, strange things coming from that Cape Grading company these days.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Shady Bob says that that is it. He's going to get some of these "slabs", print a few labels of a fictitious grading company, put in some polished coins and rake in the dough! :D

kyle2    10
kyle2

I don't believe it. How can ANYONE put a value on that! people will be putting coins out in the rain or leaving them in salt water now, if anyone buys that for more than R1 then I don't know, its really gone completely insane now. Rediculous. Disapointed in the seller for even having that graded, let alone trying to sell it to some poor sap.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Asked the seller a question...

I have sent the "rust" seller a question... Let's see whether it is answered...

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

And here is the answer...

10/10 to the seller for a fast response...

Your question was;

Hi there is this rust from exposure to the elements, or is it rust from an artificial source? Thank you.

The answer is;

all 3 coins the RUST - PVC - GLUE did come out of a sealed bag

thanks

My face remains expressionless...

Please excuse me while I step away from my computer for a few minutes...

kyle2    10
kyle2

Glue? a coin graded for glue? I think there is some relevence in another thread with a happy heading!:(

Maybe if I sent a coin in that my dog swollowed and left in a nice smelly pile, it would get a crappy grade?

4kids    10
4kids

PS Has anyone heard of "Coin Grading Service UK"? And that does not look like a BAR CODE.. also what is W615? And what is CGS UNC 85?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Hi Scott, Perhaps update your Google...LOL..

The Coin Grading Service (CGS UK) is a reputable grading services and came into service around 2006. They mainly specialize in British coins. I've seen some of these coins fetching handsome prices on some international auctions. i.e Heritage as well as others. The grading scale used is unlike our well known Sheldon Scale 0-70 points used and adopted by NGC, PCGS and other American grading companies but a standard of 1-100 points which is fact the way anyone should read the Hern's Handbook. The grade of UNC 85 is then in fact a fairly low grade assigned and the Weak strike notation on the coin would be correct in any grading service.

Nevertheless, still does not make this coin rare...

kyle2    10
kyle2

Unbelievably there are bidders for this coin, it will be interesting to see if the seller gets back the R120 or so it costs to have it graded.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Well maybe its a sign of change or people are starting to wake up a bit, the rusty coin sold for the princely sum of R31, the glue one R31 and strangely enough the PVC one for R47.

Total profit made : R100 X 3 for the Grading, less value of coins R15, less sales value of R109, gives a profit of : -R206. Wah haaa haaaaa haha ah oh dear.:P