Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

Locking of threads...

RISadler    10
RISadler

A trend that I've noticed is that whenever a not-so-nice aspect of bidorbuy is discussed, the thread is summarily closed.

Curtailing freedom of speech and opinion is one of the top signs of totalitarianism...

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Agreed!

A trend that I've noticed is that whenever a not-so-nice aspect of bidorbuy is discussed, the thread is summarily closed.

Curtailing freedom of speech and opinion is one of the top signs of totalitarianism...

Wholeheartedly seconded RISadler!

If the topic goes off-course, or there is excessive dissing of a BoBber (or things get personal - then maybe the BoB team could consider requesting deletion or editing of those posts to keep the thread on track.:confused:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I wholeheartedly "third" it, RISadler. And whilst we're about it, some threads are willy nilly (pun intended) closed because they've got a bit broad-minded, so to speak. Do we operate within a strict Convent/Monastery environment on this forum? I wonder .... perhaps I should start wearing my habit?

wayjen    10
wayjen

the countdown has begun...

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Well I went to a convent and found it far too restrictive but certainly were taught some good principals. I am too much of a free adventurous spirit to have restrictions placed on me.

Hubby has difficulty controlling me.He must not tell me what I must do or not do especially with my business.

I do think that sometimes users get a bit lewd and I would not say some of the things that are said but dont let me make you think I am an angel.

Criticism of Bob can be read by anyone so if we have a complaint it may be better to do so privately with the Bob staff.

From what I have heard I wont phone them(jokes)

While I am about it someone moved that dam logout button and everytime I want to log out of the forum I log out of my account.

admin    0
admin

Hi RISadler,

Thank you for your comments. I take it you are referring to this thread ?

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/garden-pets/10584-sale-animals-birds-bob.html

As I mentioned there before locking the thread, the discussion about whether or not to allow animals to be sold on buy now's will only go around in circles as bidorbuy Management said that the decision was final after there was numerous posts about it.

As a result of that, any posts about whether the selling of animals on buy now's will be allowed or not, will be deleted by me without any explanation given.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

p.s. Wayne, you started the countdown, just say when.....;)

*Thread Locked* :P

RISadler    10
RISadler
I take it you are referring to this thread ?

And many others...

... any posts about whether the selling of animals on buy now's will be allowed or not, will be deleted by me without any explanation given.

Repeat after me... T-O-T-A-L-I-T-A-R-I-A-N

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

:confused:

Anyway, ignorance may be bliss, but ignoring the populace causes the downfall of governments.

admin    0
admin

Hi RISadler,

Your comments have been noted, thank you. :cool:

Have an enjoyable weekend ;)

wayjen    10
wayjen

when? ha ha ha

admin    0
admin

Not too shabby thanks Wayne :P

mellowred    10
mellowred

I can't count now, but I fourth or fifth your comment RISadler.

To mix a couple of phrases ... When the going gets hot - we get kicked out of the kitchen :P.

I enjoy a good debate, and particularly love reading the coin collection forum for this. But being outspoken gets you shut down. This is a pity as most of the forum members are outspoken but good hearted folk.

kebs    10
kebs

I do agree in part, but we must also remember that while there are a group of us regulars who post, there are some newbies who could be scared off by some of the comments.. The more experienced Bobber knows what to believe & take seriously, but some people don't & could be scared off Bob.. Of course, if they read some of the posts in the community chat & see how unstable we can get, they may be scared off anyway.. :P

kyle2    10
kyle2

I'm going to be demoted again!

I though seeing as I started the thread mention in the beginning http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/garden-pets/10584-sale-animals-birds-bob.html

I should throw my 2 cents in.

I don't see the harm in discussing controversial topics like this, but it is interesting that admin take it personally enough to threaten deletion or to cancel threads, I know that we are essentially just visitors in their company, but by that token, the haved allowed us in to have a chat with each other and them.

Kind of reminds me of a book I read once by HG Wells, something about a farm..............:P. Things start off Ok but get progressively worse.

I gues thats the thread closed now?

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Would any of you allow for memos criticizing your business or one you work for's policies to circulate indefinitely? BoB IS a private company, even though sometime it may seem like a group of friends.

This forum is publicly viewable so it does not surprise me that BoB would seek to protect their business from criticisms, especially by leaving threads and comments indefinitely so that even long resolved issues still come up in google etc.

admin    0
admin
I though seeing as I started the thread mention in the beginning http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/garden-pets/10584-sale-animals-birds-bob.html

I should throw my 2 cents in.

I don't see the harm in discussing controversial topics like this, but it is interesting that admin take it personally enough to threaten deletion or to cancel threads, I know that we are essentially just visitors in their company, but by that token, the haved allowed us in to have a chat with each other and them.

Kind of reminds me of a book I read once by HG Wells, something about a farm..............:P. Things start off Ok but get progressively worse.

I gues thats the thread closed now?

Hi kyle2,

Thank you for your comments.

The topic to allow animals to be sold on buy now’s was discussed at length on the forum, after which bidorbuy took the decision to allow it. This decision was taken after consultation with the SPCA. All parties involved had their say (at length) and a decision was made. Your post was answered correctly by Lilythepink then the discussion started again whether animals should be sold on buy now’s or not.

The decision was made by bidorbuy and we have to respect that whether we disagree with it or not. We agreed to abide by the terms and conditions when we joined which gives them the right to simply make rules and we have to follow them, but as proven on the forum, they do not just simply enforce the terms, they always listen to suggestions/complaints from us, discuss it, and then make an informed decision. As soon as bidorbuy made their decision it is not a controversial topic anymore, it is a settled topic.

I am not threatening to close/delete threads on topics that have been settled, apologies if my post came off that way, I am stating a fact. As soon as bidorbuy’s decision on the matter is given and explained, which they do not have to do but always do anyway, the thread is locked and there is no use posting about it over and over again afterwards.

Coming to think about it, the closing/deleting of threads has also been discussed umpteen times on the forum. Those are the forum rules and I am here to enforce it.

Have a blessed Sunday. ;)

mellowred    10
mellowred
Would any of you allow for memos criticizing your business or one you work for's policies to circulate indefinitely? BoB IS a private company, even though sometime it may seem like a group of friends.

This forum is publicly viewable so it does not surprise me that BoB would seek to protect their business from criticisms, especially by leaving threads and comments indefinitely so that even long resolved issues still come up in google etc.

That part I wholly agree with - and we all have to admit that things do get solved. Unfortunately when two parties have totally opposing opinions - and BoB is left having to make a decision - one of those parties will most likely feel snubbed.

One place I do wish BoB would loosen up a bit is when it comes to differences of opinions between members - which do not have anything to do with BoB rules or management.

Sometimes these discussions get quite heated - and then the thread gets closed down. Even though I don't contribute to any of these threads (for fear of being bashed due to ignorance :cool:) I do learn a lot from them and am always disappointed when they come to an abrupt end.

I am speaking under correction here (ignorance again :rolleyes:) but I get the impression that when one member (and I am not referring to any particular member) starts taking a bit of a bashing the threads are closed to protect the one being bashed.

If you step into a public forum and start airing strong views you open yourself up to responses from those with opposing views. Getting defensive and running for help is not an indication of strong character.

admin    0
admin

One place I do wish BoB would loosen up a bit is when it comes to differences of opinions between members - which do not have anything to do with BoB rules or management.

Sometimes these discussions get quite heated - and then the thread gets closed down.

Hi Mandy,

I have to disagree with you on this. ;)

We are using the means (Forums) provided by bidorbuy to have these discussions so whatever is said on here is reflecting on bidorbuy and the differences of opinions between members are about transactions concluded on bidorbuy. These have to be settled by bidorbuy at the end of the day.

Threads with differences of opinions between members are only closed down as soon as any of the forum rules are broken. Differences of opinions are good, we learn from it. If it is done in a proper way, it is left to run its course. Should any of the posting rules be broken, and it usually is, it is locked straight away. Especially the below quoted ones :

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-rules-information/3205-forum-posting-rules-please-read.html

The following are expressly forbidden in postings:

1. Material containing any defamatory remarks.

3. Material containing vulgarity, hate speech, swear words or any form of discriminatory or offending communication. Deletion of the entire contents of the post will done without warning.

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-rules-information/365-read-before-you-post.html

12. Argue with the post, not the poster (arguments on topic are good, but between members they are bad).

Before you hit the submit button:

5. Will this post offend somebody? If it might, you should not post it.

6. Offensive or confrontational posts can be anything from insults and flaming to profanity and graphic or explicit posts.

9. Does your post violate any of our other rules? If it does, do not post it - it could be deleted.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Wow, what an informative thread!

I must say that this thread has opened my eyes a bit.

The thread has remained open for one, many have aired their views, no one person has recieved a bashing(not that I mind at all being bashed around on forums), I've learnt a thing or two and aired my opinions(flawed as they be) and have'nt been demoted again!

Wonderful.

Thanks admin for the enlightenment and everyone who posted.

I think everyone had valid points and expressed their views and it turned into excellent debate.

mellowred    10
mellowred

@ kyle2.

Don't you just love it that both you and I were disagreed with and yet we are both left feeling very happy :cool:.

That Admin guy is quite a diplomat isn't he :cool: :P.

kyle2    10
kyle2

I suppose its a happy situation when we all agree to disagree:confused::rolleyes:.