Sign in to follow this  
MsPlod

Awesome bargain!!

BumbleBee

Scott, this is good, I like :D

and look, someone asking someone else for permission to use his stuff? could this be? all is not lost, it seems that common decency still does exist!

kyle2

Permissions

Masons do it with Honour and Integrity!

Thanks Scott.

MsPlod

Absolutley EXCELLENT!!

Waiting for the ultra-ultra rare Mandela VG to be listed on this site

Imagining all the Mandela coins being ground down day and night;

I wonder who will be the first to make this impressive find

As a new generation of collectors are robbed blind!

Words by Scott Balson

Wonderful Scott! Fabulous doggerel! cheers1.gif

You have made my day! Thank you! austin3.gif

RISadler

Mmmmm :P

eZethu Coins
Wow! 50 coins in sequence! :o Now there is something you don't see everyday.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what these coins were selling for when this craze started? It would really be interesting to see what people have been spending on MS66 birthday coins over the last 2 years. I'm wondering when more of the 5000 "rare" proof birthday coins will start surfacing in mass.

If memory serves me right, they started in the region of about 1K or there about. I remember taking one as part payment for an order that looked like I was not going to get paid for - I think the deal was about R750 then.

eZethu Coins
Oh dear. I missed this auction - it is no longer there. I feel cheated, BumbleBee and Admin, really I do. lol

I still believe that the BusyBee had it deleted, because he realized it was worth a lot more :D

eZethu Coins
Found this article on BoB.......

Is it legal to sell the Mandela 90th birthday R5 coins? Is it illegal? Or could it be – just a little legal?

(...lots deleted to keep the size down...)

The chances of such a 2008 Mandela coin landing into the hands of a man in the street is about equal to the chances of winning the grand lottery prize.

The last line in this article has me puzzled, seems that the chances of winning the lotto are getting better by the day :D

Funny - in the last 2 weeks I have seen 3 circulation R5 B'day coins amongst my change - something that didn't happen for years now - is it a sign of the economic crunch or just a realization that the coins is worth R5?

kyle2

same thing happend with the inauguration coins, now there are hoarders out there with collections of circulated face value inauguration R5's

lilythepink
I still believe that the BusyBee had it deleted, because he realized it was worth a lot more :D

Nice to have you back amongst the finger-wearing forumers who have been keeping things going. Always good to have your perspective on things, Renaldo. :P

eZethu Coins
Nice to have you back amongst the finger-wearing forumers who have been keeping things going. Always good to have your perspective on things, Renaldo. :P

nice to be missed :-)

Bellcoin

The REAL problem with this whole saga is the future damage!

how many - non coin collectors, (the man on the street) have bought these coins at inflated prices? Thousands - they are advertised on the net, avaliable at a well known coin shop, etc etc. They, the general public have paid large sums of money for these coins because of hype.

Soon in the not to distant future, these coins will enter the market again and people are going to loose a ton of money, which creates a problem!

Who are they going to blame? US, sad to say.

MsPlod

Agreed!

how many - non coin collectors, (the man on the street) have bought these coins at inflated prices? Thousands - they are advertised on the net, avaliable at a well known coin shop, etc etc. They, the general public have paid large sums of money for these coins because of hype.

Soon in the not to distant future, these coins will enter the market again and people are going to loose a ton of money, which creates a problem!

Sadly - the blame is likely to be directed at BoB sellers en masse rather than just those who have "rukked the gat" out of the whole shebang...:(

ECONOZONE

It is like in the USA selling worthless mortgage bonds, then a big crash when people caught on.

RISadler
2008 Birthday R5 - AU58 VERY SCARCE GRADE BY THE NGC OF AMERICA @ R1 START - VERY LOW MINTAGE COIN for sale in Nelspruit (ID:24896501)

VERY LOW MINTAGE , What marketing , i have sent a question to the seller telling him/her that the coin has a low mintage of only 5 million.

In the article quoted by BumbleBee the minting figures are given a 2 million, but whatever... the coin is rare, because...

50 million South Africans divided by 5 million coins means only one in ten persons will own one of these coins. Given a random availability of less than 10%, that's rare. :P

BumbleBee

Exactly! This is why new collectors and the public need to be educated, to prevent any more damage being done and new investors being put off collecting coins all together! There are alot of sellers that are just in it for the money and couldn't care less who gets hurt at the end of the day but sadly there are also a few dealers that ought to know better that are also cashing in on this craze.

eZethu Coins

inflated buy now

Exactly! This is why new collectors and the public need to be educated, to prevent any more damage being done and new investors being put off collecting coins all together! There are alot of sellers that are just in it for the money and couldn't care less who gets hurt at the end of the day but sadly there are also a few dealers that ought to know better that are also cashing in on this craze.

Should probably be in a new thread, but can the practice of advertising a low value item at an inflated price for "Buy Now" and then listing another of the same on a normal bidding auction at the normal realistic price, also be seen as "misleading advertising"/"taking the buyer for a ride"?

BumbleBee

Renaldo, this is an all too common practice among sellers. Fooling people in believing that something is worth X amount by listing a buy now just to push the prices up on their auctions. This is blatant dishonesty and false advertising, sellers like this have absolutely no ethics and should be avoided at all costs!

Pierre_Henri
True, some exceptionally well-done samples of a circulation coin, graded and number-proofed by a reputable firm, may be valuable. However, that is an involved issue, best left to the experts. The chances of such a 2008 Mandela coin landing into the hands of a man in the street is about equal to the chances of winning the grand lottery prize.

Huh???

If memory serves me right, they started in the region of about 1K or there about. I remember taking one as part payment for an order that looked like I was not going to get paid for - I think the deal was about R750 then.

The first one sold for R800. I wonder what the chap did with it?

Pierre

RISadler
Renaldo, this is an all too common practice among sellers. Fooling people in believing that something is worth X amount by listing a buy now just to push the prices up on their auctions. This is blatant dishonesty and false advertising, sellers like this have absolutely no ethics and should be avoided at all costs!

"If *** didn't want them sheared, He wouldn't have made them sheep." --- Calvera, The Magnificent Seven.

eZethu Coins
Huh???

The first one sold for R800. I wonder what the chap did with it?

Pierre

Retired and living off the interest? :D

kebs
Funny - in the last 2 weeks I have seen 3 circulation R5 B'day coins amongst my change - something that didn't happen for years now - is it a sign of the economic crunch or just a realization that the coins is worth R5?

I know nothing about coins, but I received 7 in total this week in change from shops - can I start thinking about early retirement too then?? :P

BumbleBee

Kebs, you have become a multi millionaire just by shopping! Yay! :D

kyle2

Jaded phenomenon

Its interesting that these coins are turning up more frequently now. I know of several people who found them in change. Personally, I would rather err on the side of caution and keep those I find. There I said it. Its a sickness, I know, what can I say, I'm a collector. Now multiply this by a few thousand, and this is the root of the problem. ;) Unfortunately a lot sellers have sent this phenomenon way into the dark side by eploiting this weakness, cleaning the banks out by taking bags of 200 coins or more. You know who you are.

RISadler

I agree with kyle2. Keep the coins and when the next craze hits, cash in quickly.