Sign in to follow this  
SProducts

Is this black magic or what?

SProducts

Okay right, I won this item Other Laptops & Notebooks - Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo V5505 2GB Memory 120GB HHD was sold for R2,500.00 on 14 May at 14:01 by rene09 in Port Elizabeth (ID:21878302)

On receipt, there was no operating system disc (WINDOWS 7), and the operating system cant be activated as its not GENUINE. Seller doesnt care also, tried BoB and nothing also told to deal with seller myself.

The magic comes here;

I rated the seller negative, explaining the problem. The rating disappreared, on my auction page the system has the link to rate seller. But when I rate seller, there's an error that I have already rated the seller. But on seller's profile my rating is not there.

I contacted Bidorbuy and they sorted it out I then rated teh seller negative and explained that she scammed me into belieing I was buying a complete Laptop. Today when going through my purchases, I see the link to rate the seller again.

I try to rate and get the same error that I've already rated teh seller.

What is going on, where's my rating, why does it always disappear?

The magic continues out of Bidorbuy;

A few weeks ago I laid a case at the police station for theft under false pretense as I didnt get what I bought and I only bought the Laptop because it had Windows 7. SInce it doesnt have it, I will have to pay more to get the operating system rendering the Laptop expensive and useless.

I got the case number and everything, they told me they will call me to inform me who will be my Investigation Officer. I even told them where to get details of teh seller.

I didnt hear from the police and after more than a week, I call to check and I am told the case has been closed as there's no suspect or whatever.

Nobody informed me the case was being closed and the reasons.

This is scary, does the seller has some extra ordinary powers?

Sipho

Cali Craft and Gems

HI Sipho

I'm assuming that you laid the charge at your local SAP branch? For PE related issues, my neighbour is a fantastic help - he is based at Mount Road P/S (Port Elizabeth). I can PM you his cell number if you're interested.

Regards,

CCG

SProducts

Hi Cali

Yes it was at my local SAP, I am going to see the detective branch to query this and if there's no luck I'll PM you for contact details of the neighbour.

Thanks for your help.

Sipho

Bertman Trading

Hello Sipho,

The same happened to me and they also closed the case after informing me at least, but I told them that they can't close it?!?! The reason they gave me: "There is no description like theft under false pretences on our system and the seller didn't steal from you he only failed to deliver the product. Eish sorry nê.."

How did they prosecute the seller Shooters then?:confused:

meeks
Hello Sipho,

The same happened to me and they also closed the case after informing me at least, but I told them that they can't close it?!?! The reason they gave me: "There is no description like theft under false pretences on our system and the seller didn't steal from you he only failed to deliver the product. Eish sorry nê.."

How did they prosecute the seller Shooters then?:confused:

Imagine how many buyers would be scammed in this way, should potential scammers read this forum, and see they could get away with it, because they can not be prosecuted!?It would look like an easy way to make money - and run!!!!!, no matter what the product is they are selling, so in fact no buyer can then buy with confidence?

Bertman Trading

I have lost all faith in our legal system as it seems to be designed to protect the criminals:o.

Bheki Cele should investigate the mental fitness of the SAPS and not only their physical fitness if you ask me:mad:!!!

lilythepink

We have a similar problem with our local SAPS especially some some of the "rookies" who haven't a clue about much yet. Just ask to see the Station Commander if you aren't happy with any service (I would be if someone just "closed" a case I'd laid!). White collar crime is on the up and up everywhere in SA and it's time we took a stand and followed through against it in whatever legal ways we can. Bertman, I suggest you see someone responsible and get your case re-opened.

Bertman Trading

Hello Lily,

I've been to the Station commander with no success. I'm going to take it further as soon as I have some free time again.

Since I came back from Botswana it's been hectic at my work and my small businesses:o.

I miss the forum and all the members...:(

lilythepink

Glad you're back from Botswana! Glad you're posting again on the forum. Was wondering where you were - someone missed you! lol

SProducts

@Bertman, I thought it was only me. I have also decided I will follow this up to the end, it doesnt matter how long I have to keep on knocking at doors and people, but I am not letting this seller scam me like this and continue to scam other buyers with false description.

Our government systems are a shame, they're outdated. Just like when I was laying the case, the guy had to go and ask numerous people on how to open this case.

On shooters issue, I guess its when you buy something and not receive it then its a crime but if you receive it its not a crime regardless of how different it is from the description.

@ Meeks, its true you can be scammed and have no recourse whatsoever and worse see the person continue scamming other people. Eish!

Sipho

kyle2

There are many of these tricky sellers out there, someones always going to get caught, been caught myself, you live and learn, don't let go of this. Karma will always run over the scamsters dogma.;)

RISadler
... the operating system cant be activated as its not GENUINE.

Contact the Business Software Alliance AND Microsoft South Africa.

Bertman Trading
@Bertman, I thought it was only me. I have also decided I will follow this up to the end, it doesnt matter how long I have to keep on knocking at doors and people, but I am not letting this seller scam me like this and continue to scam other buyers with false description.

Sipho

I had the exact same problem with opening the case and climbed the ladder to the guy that was able to help me. His words to me were:" I don't know how the officers (who were unable to help me) got their jobs as they are obviously clueless.".

Just to have the case closed by the same clueless officers a day later?!?!?!?!?!?!?!:mad::mad::mad:

SProducts

I've been to the police today, and I have to say our police department is way behind the real world.

I saw some Colonel, luckily there 3 other detectives and had to spend almost an hour discussing. At the end they called the seller who told them that there is a 7 day money back guarantee and why didnt I return the laptop and they believed him after the wife (real seller) gave the phone to the husband or male colleague.

Now I argued still with them and told them I emailed the seller same day I received the laptop about the problem and she promised to sort it out which she didnt and when I realised she wasnt going to that's when I opened th case and I told them I have email proof.

Now I need to print all the email communication and take it to them and then they will take it to the court and see if the court would listen to the case.

I fully doubt anything will come out of it anyway, but will try all the way.

I also noticed something, maybe we need to lobby the government/police to look into setting up an internet trade fraud division within the police. Its not that they're incompetent, they dont know anything about internet trade and fraud. They suggested I shouldnt buy again, when I told them this is my business and I will still buy and they told me okay you will come back with another case.

At one time they told me what's the problem, I bought a laptop and I got it, whats inside is not important as long as I have the laptop.

They also told me that this is a civil matter and I should get my lawyer to handle it. I am now considering atking it up through a lawyer or small claims court.

Sipho

MsPlod

Not nice!

Sorry to hear you are going through this Sipho - rough one! Really hope that it gets resolved fast and amicably!

qball
I've been to the police today, and I have to say our police department is way behind the real world.

I saw some Colonel, luckily there 3 other detectives and had to spend almost an hour discussing. At the end they called the seller who told them that there is a 7 day money back guarantee and why didnt I return the laptop and they believed him after the wife (real seller) gave the phone to the husband or male colleague.

Now I argued still with them and told them I emailed the seller same day I received the laptop about the problem and she promised to sort it out which she didnt and when I realised she wasnt going to that's when I opened th case and I told them I have email proof.

Now I need to print all the email communication and take it to them and then they will take it to the court and see if the court would listen to the case.

I fully doubt anything will come out of it anyway, but will try all the way.

I also noticed something, maybe we need to lobby the government/police to look into setting up an internet trade fraud division within the police. Its not that they're incompetent, they dont know anything about internet trade and fraud. They suggested I shouldnt buy again, when I told them this is my business and I will still buy and they told me okay you will come back with another case.

At one time they told me what's the problem, I bought a laptop and I got it, whats inside is not important as long as I have the laptop.

They also told me that this is a civil matter and I should get my lawyer to handle it. I am now considering atking it up through a lawyer or small claims court.

Sipho

Hi Guys

Please remember, at the station level, many of the police officers have never been exposed to such crimes. These crimes are usually sent through to the respective divisional Commercial Crimes units to investigate, they tend to have a better idea of how to go about the investigation and have a better understanding of these events - i.e. fraud and "white collar" crime.

Cheers

Cuan

SProducts
Sorry to hear you are going through this Sipho - rough one! Really hope that it gets resolved fast and amicably!

Thanks, I hope it will be solved also.

I fully agree Cuan, maybe the police station should be ordered to send all these cases to the special unit as they mess them up mostly.

Sipho

qball

You could suggest this to them.. :)

SProducts
You could suggest this to them.. :)

Wish I could! :)

Sipho

mellowred
Wish I could! :)

Sipho

Hi Sipho

Good news is, you can. Just phone your branch and ask them for contact details for the nearest commercial fraud division.

From my experience they are very clued up - most detectives have some auditing / financial background.

I had a case here which had to be referred to the Bellville office - but only after the detectives had held on to the case for a few months. Very frustating as the local guys know nothing about accounting and wanted the impossible.

Only problem you may find is that the commercial division may not want to prosecute a small amount. But at least they will be able to discuss your case with one of your local detectives (much easier than you trying to explain - they work in codes which we do not understand). ;)

I like the idea of lobbying the government. Who knows with a bit of detective work ourselves we may discover that there already is such a division in place. It's not really fair to expect detectives who are trained to deal with domestic violence / robbery / murder etc. to necessarily know anything at all about computers.