Sign in to follow this  
Gecko Coins

Excessive Postage Costs for Coins & Notes

Gecko Coins    10
Gecko Coins

Hi All

Just wanted to share the following with you……….

I have noticed that lately there seems to be an increase in sellers asking ludicrous shipping charges. It seems to be on the increase again and I want to take this opportunity to warn potential buyers (old and new) to be on the watch-out for these sellers. I myself was caught about 7 months ago when I did not notice a seller asking R15 extra for each and every coin they place in a Speed services overnight bag (which can take up to 1kg for exactly the same price). I ended paying R180 for this shipment which was only supposed to cost R60. Needles to say I have made a point to boycott this seller!

It is understandable that some sellers on BoB who sell larger items might have to increase their shipping charges because of weight, size etc. But to charge these rates for coins is day light robbery to put it bluntly. There are many new sellers who have started with this trend of overcharging buyers and they need to be highlighted. Have a look at the seller below:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/24861728/RARE_Nelson_Mandela_90year_Birthday_5rand_2008.html

This seller is charging first off R39 for sending an envelope that will normally cost R18.50 or so with economail. Then to add insult to injury you still have to pay R20 for each additional item. Looking at their ratings one can see that they won’t be around long, but there are many others who do business in this manner.

Is there something that can be done from BOB’s side? I would love to hear some comments,

Best regards

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Whenever you come across an ad which you think is ripping the ring out of it as far as postage is concerned, just click on the "notify community watch" button and let Uncle Bob take over!

alloway65    10
alloway65

Boycott, boycott, boycott…R3 extra an item I don’t really mind but more than that a rip-off!!!!!:mad::rolleyes::mad:

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins

postage rates

The time has maybe come for some general guidelines about postage rates. And while we are on the topic, maybe enforce that postage rates MUST be advertised as part of all auctions - so that no surprises pop up after the fact.

Or maybe an option that must be selected when the auction is created if extra postage is charged on a per item basis. These auctions can then be "marked" or highlighted in some or other way so that buyers know to check specifically, because let's face it - many (including myself) have been "caught out" by rush bidding.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Making extra money after the sale

Charging buyers for more than the actual postage is not ethical. Full stop. Money is made on the sale, that should be enough. How can popping an extra coin in the parcel incur extra cost? Rediculous.

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins
Charging buyers for more than the actual postage is not ethical. Full stop. Money is made on the sale, that should be enough. How can popping an extra coin in the parcel incur extra cost? Rediculous.

I half agree and half disagree - postage is one part of the cost - packaging, etc. does have a cost as well. But the "processing" of extra items is the debatable issue here. I do not charge extra for additional items, but will rather not debate that issue.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Packaging cost extra?

I agree that there is a packaging cost, having bought and sold on ebay for years before joining bob, costs can get pricey, but that is more to do with volume and weight. Small items should not generally require additional costs.

unicoin    10
unicoin

Hi all

All I can say," dis 'n skande!!!"

Regards

Unicoin

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Living in Australia postage is a big issue.

I would never normally bid on a single coin for under ZAR200 because the postage would double that cost. If I see an unrealistic postage charge by a seller I simply ignore the item because I know that it will come back to bite me if I bid. There are also some sellers (including a couple of very prominent ones) I totally boycott because I don't like their attitude and am happy to sacrifice a coin I might want because I don't want to do business with them.

Buying is a very personal thing for me - once I develop a business relationship with a seller on BoB I might bid on a single coin, win it for ZAR70, and, by agreement, they happily hold it over until I buy more from them. That way I break down the postage costs as items are posted together - and they win because I am more actively bidding on their listings to get the coin on its way.

As a seller I do not charge for postage from Australia - posting the items by registered airmail at my cost. I find this strategy to be very effective because a buyer know EXACTLY what he is in for - ie the cost of his winning bid.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

kyle2    10
kyle2

I agree with you Scott and I think forming relationships with sellers is important, I am lucky to have such realtionships with a few sellers (thanks Renaldo), and they are happy to hold items over for me, provided I pay the for the item and luckilly the Bob system does not enforce payment of shipping charges before a sale goes through.

Many buyers don't take into account that what they pay for the coin or whatever should include the shipping as this is the real cost of the coin, and this can sometimes be more that the coin is worth.

eZethu Coins    10
eZethu Coins
I agree with you Scott and I think forming relationships with sellers is important, I am lucky to have such realtionships with a few sellers (thanks Renaldo), and they are happy to hold items over for me, provided I pay the for the item and luckilly the Bob system does not enforce payment of shipping charges before a sale goes through.

Many buyers don't take into account that what they pay for the coin or whatever should include the shipping as this is the real cost of the coin, and this can sometimes be more that the coin is worth.

I second that agreement (and thank you for the compliment Kyle). When I started on BoB a few years ago I didn't sell anything - I just bought. During that time I learned what I enjoyed as a buyer and what I appreciated from sellers (so thanks to all sellers that thought me some valuable lessons about selling - too many of you to list here). When I started selling I was thus prepared and just applied these principles that I have learned from others - and it has served me well as a seller. One of the things that I have learned is to sell my goods - only my goods and nothing but my goods. Postage is just a necessary (evil) overhead - nothing more and nothing less. And the result of that is that I have many regular customers that buy often and ship less often - less "overhead" for them and more sales for me and a win-win all-round. Many of my regulars buy & pay, but stockpile until they feel that they are getting the best bang for the postage-buck before I ship.

So there you are - no longer one one of my best kept sales secrets - the rest I'm keeping to myself (for now) :D

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

"My Inner Circle"

My HIGHLY recommended sellers I will only name by their real first names.. they include Pierre, Renaldo, Thomas, Michael, Andre, Mohamed, Bruce and Stephen... there are many others but these guys are my main "inner circle". I follow their sales weekly and have no hesitation in placing a bid on their listings.

Now I have given away my buyer's advantage!

Thanks BoB for this great platform to buy and sell!

Kind regards

Scott Balson

kyle2    10
kyle2

Thanks Scott, the above mentioned are examples to all, those whom I have dealt with are really accomodating and it would be nice if there was a system in place that one could recognise sellers like these, a page or place that listed trusted sellers voted in by the general bob population.

Not rocking the boat, just a thought.