Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

Where is bidorbuy heading?

RISadler    10
RISadler

Where is bidorbuy heading?

I see a plethora of new items for sale/on auction in various categories. The number of secondhand items in the same categories are negligible.

For example (07/08/2010 @ 20:10):

• Category is Photography and the keyword is Canon:
    • condition is new = 32 pages (94.1%)
    • condition is secondhand = 2 pages (5.9%)

[*]Same category, but showing all items:

• condition is new = 149 pages (92.5%)
    • condition is secondhand = 12 pages (7.5%)

[*]Category is Toys & Hobbies -> LEGO, showing all items:

• condition is new = 17 pages (94%)
    • condition is secondhand = 1 page (6%)

[*]Category is Computers -> Desktop Components, showing all items:

• condition is new = 96 pages (97%)
    • condition is secondhand = 3 pages (3%)

Just looking at those figures, bidorbuy has in my opinion become an outlet for e-tailers to sell their brand new wares.

I've heard sellers of secondhand items complaining that they're not getting the same number of bids/realised prices as in the past. Some have moved over to "the international auction site" and others are seriously contemplating the same journey.

Is this the direction bidorbuy is being steered - towards a bazaar of new items at not-so-bargain prices?

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

I would not necessarily just look at the item condition. I think it is safer to assume that most BuyNow's are from tradefeeds/etailers and Auctions from individuals (and auctions would be more of the "bargain-kind").

Nowadays it is not so clear anymore if a 2nd-hand item is really a bargain. Especially considering warranties and looking at prices, I personally would rather buy cameras/electronics new than 2nd-hand.

If we look across the whole of bidorbuy and all categories we have a 60/40 (7000 pages new vs 4000 2nd hand) split between new/2nd hand. You will find that some categories (especially the more "retail"-focused areas such as Electronics, Games etc) are top-heavy on buynows over auctions. This does not necessarily mean that those items are not posted at a good price.

Some examples:

• Antiques: 47 pages buynows vs 416 pages auctions
  • Electronics: 170 pages buynows vs 30 pages auctions
  • Gemstones: 93 pages buynows vs 152 pages auctions

We do notice that sellers nowadays sell more new items over second-hand items, hence the small number of 2nd-hand items in certain categories. I would also think that it more sustainable to source new items and sell those at discount prices compared to deal with the problems on 2nd-hand items (especially when it comes to electronics, gaming, watches etc).

I don't think it is a bad thing to have such spread and eBay would face similar "issues" - I doubt it is a problem, as it is pretty much driven by supply & demand.

I think we have a good spread - personally I would like to see more auctions/risk-taking by the sellers as the initial price will drive sales.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Mac, thanks for confirming my observation/theory.

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin
Mac, thanks for confirming my observation/theory.

It will be interesting to see if those sellers listing on eBay will get more exposure - having 80-90 million active users sounds great and they must list close to 1bn items per month (if not more).

I would also think that payment (yes PayPal exists, but the feedback I have gotten is that FNB/PayPal charge an arm and several legs until you get your money out) and shipping present quite a few challenges one would not have in the local market.

We did (although subtle) pick up that international buyers use BoB to pick up good deals when the Forex plays in their favor.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Again, Mac, thanks for sharing the bidorbuy "roadmap" with me.