Sign in to follow this  
MagicMan0027

Guitar help

MagicMan0027    10
MagicMan0027

Hi everybody

I need some help. My son (17 years) wants to buy an acoustic guitar. (The normal type)

He is right handed but when he holds a guitar it's left handed. He says that he is the most comfortable that way and finds it very awkward to hold it the way a right handed person does.

1. What is a good guitar to start with (not too expensive)

2. Can any guitar be strung for a "left handed" person or does one get special ones for left handers ?

Some guitar salesman has told him that it will be better and easier if he learns to play right handed. Any opinions ?

Thank you for the help.

meeks    10
meeks
Hi everybody

I need some help. My son (17 years) wants to buy an acoustic guitar. (The normal type)

He is right handed but when he holds a guitar it's left handed. He says that he is the most comfortable that way and finds it very awkward to hold it the way a right handed person does.

2. Can any guitar be strung for a "left handed" person or does one get special ones for left handers ?

Some guitar salesman has told him that it will be better and easier if he learns to play right handed. Any opinions ?

Thank you for the help.

Hi magicman,

Long story, have sent you a PM

Meeks

MagicMan0027    10
MagicMan0027
Hi magicman,

Long story, have sent you a PM

Meeks

Hi Meeks

I can't find the Pm you have send in my inbox

Thank you

meeks    10
meeks
Hi Meeks

I can't find the Pm you have send in my inbox

Thank you

Just sent the PM a couple minutes ago- should be there?

MagicMan0027    10
MagicMan0027

Sorry maybe I was too quick.

BumbleBee    10
BumbleBee

Hi Magic, meeks sent you a PM (Private Message). Look at the top of this page for a link that says "quick links" and click on it, from the list select "private messages", you should find it there.

Craig    10
Craig
Hi everybody

Thank you for the help.

Hi MagicMan0027

I would personally go with an instrument that feels most comfortable with your son. I think the tricky thing is making sure that he does indeed feel best with a left-handed guitar. I'm the opposite though... Left-handed but the guitar feels right in the right-handed position.

I've made a search link for you to see some of the left-handed guitars listed on bidorbuy. We have some really good sellers here in the Music & Instruments category too. ;) I know that the guys at Mercury Music do give pretty sound advice so why not send them a question through the Q&A system on one of the listings?

Left handed Guitars for sale on bidorbuy.

@Everyone - Please do post your thoughts here instead of sending PMs so that we all can benefit :-)

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

My 2c worth...

Try to encourage your son to play a right-handed guitar.

For a right-handed person - the right hand is one's rhythm and picking hand on a right-handed guitar. Somehow it helps to keep this - the left side of the brain (which controls the right hand) is the rational, logical side of the brain, while the right brain is the more creative side - allowing the left hand to be creative on the frets, while the right hand is more adept at learning the logic of regular rhythm strumming and finger-picking - or flatpicking (using a plectrum). IMO - learning to pick and strum very well is a great deal more difficult to get right than learning the chord shapes and pushing down the strings on the frets.

Even though I know many muzos who DO play left-handed, I also know a number of left-handed muzos who choose to play right-handed.

The reasons - manifold - and here are a couple of links to the subject...

StringDancer.com: Articles Library Item

Do you play guitar Right or Left - Handed - Guitar for Beginners and Beyond Forum

NewScientist The Last Word

Whatever your son eventually decides - he CAN always change his mind later. But it is really worth learning to play right-handed (especially if one IS right-handed) - just persevere - I have been playing for 40 years - and performing for the last 35 - it is just such fun to do. :D

whiterebbit    10
whiterebbit

I am a leftie and play right-handed.No problem, I can play other guitars without the need to always look for a left strung guitar.

I would look for a second hand Yamaha for about R500.check the frets for excess wear, the top / table for loose struts inside by pressing all over,these are the expensive fixes.

If he has small hands ,put a capo on second fret to make the stretches smaller.If he finds the metal strings too tough on his fingers to start,then slack off all the strings in ratio by a whole tone,i.e. E to a D,etc.Or he could start with a spanish/classical guitar,nylon is easier on the finger ends.HTH.