Sign in to follow this  
Timeless Value

Certificate numbers

Timeless Value

Hi Im curious to find out whether the number on the certificate issued adds any value to a coin set. Is a certificate number say 18 better than say a 292 (assuming 300 coins minted)? Does the SA Mint package coin sets in the sequence that they come out the production line?

RISadler

I've seen this with numbered first day covers (FDC's), where people actually pay more for the lower numbers. But what about the "last" one, i.e #300, where you can say "And this little guy is the last one minted/printed."

On the other hand, I collect Takumar lenses and lower serial numbers are generally better, although for some lenses the higher ones are worth more. And yet for some other lenses the low end of the higher numbers are worth even more. (Long story.)

PBGold

No, the Mint issues in no particular order. (although they may produce them in sequence.)

They just grab it off the shelf and couldn't care less what the numbers are.

Collectors value certain numbers more, like number 0 (yes, there is a number zero, normally ends up in a museum or the President's office) and number 1, number 786 and the last number of the mintage. A combo of 46664 is also favoured by collectors, like owning number 46 and 664.

Investment wise, it depends on who you ask.

Timeless Value

Thanks for the insight PBGold. I guess this can be extended to 18 or 187 being Madiba's birthday for a Mandela coin set.

JOHNEL

I believe the lower numbered coins are of a higher quality that those minted later where the die could start showing wear.

I am often told they do not have stock although coins are being advertised on BOB which means they must strike them in batches.

My lower numbered coins have also graded better in the past.