Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
romulux888

How to find who accepts PayPal

46 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently got PayPal because it seems that is what most use on eBay, but how can I find out who uses it on bid or buy? Thanks

Regards

How?

Hi there, I cannot answer your question but I have one for you!

How on earth did you get PayPal. I been trying to trade on eBay for ages, but I cannot get the PayPal story right!

Please help if you can!

Regards...

You can open a PayPal account to pay for items on the other site. But, as far as I know, you cannot receive payments with PayPal if you are from South Africa.

Or am I wrong?

Andries

@samwise

What problems do you have in registering with PayPal?

And as AVG Gems has stated, you can only pay someone via PayPal - you cannot receive money here in SA via PayPal.

Paypal

Yes, i cannot receive payment into Paypal. And i also don't know how to get money INTO Paypal! It is frustrating because i don't know another way to deal through eBay either.

I cannot assist you here. I only use PayPal if I purchase something offshore and the seller has the facility for the buyer to pay via PayPal.

samwise wrote:

And i also don't know how to get money INTO Paypal! It is frustrating because i don't know another way to deal through eBay either.

You add your credit card details to PayPal and when you make a payment, PayPal then uses your credit card to make the payment without giving your credit card details to the seller.

You do not need to add funds to your PayPal account to be able to make a purchase.

Andries

Hi there

It would seem as though Ebay (America) has recently made changes to there system whereby you can only use Paypal as a payment method. The sellers are not allowed to mention Postal Orders or Cash transfers at all. I tried to sell three items on Ebay and everything was great until the customers tried to pay me. I was completely unaware that the poor idiots that live on this side of the ocean are not part of Paypals "global" system. I have had no problems paying for items with Paypal at all, but it is very frustrating that they can take our money and not allow us to receive it. I would imaging that the new changes now make Ebay - South Africa completely useless to man or beast.

EBAY WHAT A JOKE

This is the message I posted on the EBay Forum and you cannot believe the flack i received from AMERICAN SELLERS.

I have been a member on EBay for over a year and both PayPal and EBay have willingly accepted my money for purchases. Now I am trying to sell and guess what I am blocked from every end to enable me to become a seller. I keep getting advised that they are working on the problem and hope to be able to assist me in the near future. This answer is already a year old, and I may be dead and buried before they open international trading with my country. Importing my money is OK but every restriction in the book is thrown at you when you want to sell on a personal level. I am not a business so I cannot apply for a merchant card. Buyers do not want to use money orders because it is too expensive, and personal cheques are risky and also takes too long for the money to clear and then takes forever for the buyer to receive the items. I know I live in a third world country, but come on I thought America was first world and is the leader of everything universal. EBay and PayPal need to get into the 21st Century and and stop discriminating against ALL 3rd world countries.

ONE REPLY WAS THIS

2817happyisme (25 ) View Listings | Report Nov-12-08 11:24 PST 7 of 18

ANGELA

Bottom line here, South Africa and several other countries ARE NOT TRUSTED for a variety of reasons. YES, you can send money but not receive it, that most likely has more to do with your government, it's policies and it's cooperation on international trade and enforcement than anything else, to be perfectly honest.

MY REPLY (sorry for the capital CUAN but for once I was glad that capital meant shouting)

LET'S NOT GET INTO THE POLITICAL DEBATE, I AM NOT ANSWERABLE NOR RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CORRUPTNESS, THE POLICIES NOR THE INTERNATIONAL TRADE CO-OPRETATION OF MY COUNTRY. Let us not forget who put pressure on who which has landed us in the situation we know have to live with in South Africa. How easily the bans and boycotts are forgotten and while you are pointing your finger at us, remember there are 3 of your fingers pointing back at you. You may not believe it but there are still a few honest, hardworking people with integrity here in South Africa who live with it, in it and through it everyday while you sit in your Ivory Tower passing judgement.

Response #2

2817happyisme (25 ) View Listings | Report Nov-12-08 12:11 PST 9 of 18

ANGELA

It is not a political debate, it is a reality, you live with the consequences of the decisions that your government takes, whether or not you are responsible for them. I simply pointed out to you a very logical reason WHY you are prohibited from selling and receiving payments through Paypal. The internal affairs of your country are not my problem or concern.

here are a few more replies which make interesting reading :arrow:

Responseminervabird (2563 ) View Listings | Report Nov-12-08 16:50 PST 15 of 18

eBay does not even recognize that Africa exists at all.

That is quite unusual since we have many sellers from EBYPT that acceopt PayPal and cannot have accounts. ....they seem to be 'overlooked' for some reason..(wonder what that might be)....

As a seller, on cannot de-select any African country...it is simply not in eBay's geography...They only recently discovered that Australia was not in Asia, and Hong Kong was not in China after all. ...depending on what you are selling, of course.

My reply

But they own the vehicle that transports you. So I suppose they must be the one who wields the big whip.

claypipe (3526 ) View Listings | Report Nov-13-08 06:05 PST 16 of 18

....Correct on the backs of nearly every seller...At this point it matters not their stock is tanking, and their policies are not being embraced by buyers or sellers alike.

Cheerleaders can plug all they want for this company, it matters not....Glitches abound, new ones appear nearly everyday, There are more problems with pay-pal then ever with paper when one reads the boards. Ludicrous policies that ban paper in one category and allow it another. Simply ludicrous feedback policy...Discussion boards are patrolled by posters who clearly have an affiliation with eBay and have truthful threads removed...The site is an absolute mess, and it appears the shareholders are duped into thinking the changes are for the betters. Maybe one morning they will wake up, maybe not.....

This one really grabbed me.

misscheverly (3697 ) View Listings | Report Nov-13-08 06:18 PST 17 of 18

Africa is a country, right?

yourquestion (100 ) View Listings | Report Nov-13-08 06:19 PST 18 of 18

eBay does not even recognize that Africa exists at all, like mrs. Palin

eBay has unfavorable policies for outside US members.

eBay, even has unfavorable policies for US members.

eBay is yesterday.

If you managed to read this far then all I can say is do you really still wish to sell on EBay when we have a perfect selling engine in BidorBuy. I leave you to decide

Hi All

Due to Reserve Bank regulations and exchange control issues, most South Africans cannot use paypal, unless you have a bank account overseas, as a buyer you can make payment via paypal, but generally as a seller you cannot use it in this country. You will find mostly overseas sellers using paypal.

Cheers

Cuan

Sorry Cuan

This is only partly correct. If you have a legitimate registered business, you can apply for a Merchant Credit Card, and Paypal recognise this card and away you go ready to trade. Believe me I have exhausted the research into this.

Thanks Angela

Kind regards

Cuan

all I can say about paypal and ebay is .... what ever.... If they don't want to trust me why should I trust them I will just keep it local VIVA Bid or buy ... TATA ebay

I could not agree with you more, Local is Lekker :!: , Superior and let me tell you exceptionally cheaper.

Did you know the ANC gave Thabo Mbeki a luxuary vehicle when he stepped down as President? a TATA Sorry I had to add this as your VIVA and TATA reminded me of the Joke :!: :!:

Yes!

Also hoped to expand and make so much more money! Selling on ebay that is.

In the mean time I am surrounded by a wonderful and very active BidorBuy Stamp (philatelic) Community. Thanks to all for this.

My top clients pay me within minutes of the sale. Should they be successful on a Wednesday Auction, they receive their items by that Friday. 40 Hours later. So no Train Smash by keeping it local.

Regards

Jacques

I know BoB is first class, however, I also have quite a large international clientelle base who have requested I try to sell on EBay as well, as they are associated with the site, and Paypal, and it was for this reason I tried very hard to list, and unfortunately to no avail. I keep referring them to BoB and slowly I am winning them over.

I also hear eBay is trying to force sellers to only use paypal, and no other payment methods.

Kind regards

Cuan

I do know there are a couple of seller on EBay "take note Cuan and Andries" who have posed in font 18 size capital print- DO NOT BUY MY ITEMS IF YOU WANT TO PAY WITH PAYPAL. I DON'T USE PAYPAL. Quite ineresting isn't it to know there sre some sellers on EBay digging in their heels about Paypal but I wander how long they will last before some other bullying tactic is used the enforce THEIR law.,

Hello everyone

I have followed this thread with interest and I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

I have been buying and selling on eBay UK since 2004. I have been aware of Bid or Buy since its inception, but only recently started buying and selling.

PayPal

PayPal is an eBay company - eBay does not hide this fact.

The fact that eBay owns a payment processing company greatly increases their ability to offer their buyers and sellers a seamless shopping experience.

eBay has also been criticised for not allowing some sellers (read: new sellers) to use alternative payment processing methods other than PayPal.

It’s very easy to point the finger at eBay, as they own PayPal. But eBay’s stance in this regard is that there is a large proportion of fraudulent activity that involves third party payments that cannot be traced – such as Western Union or bank transfers.

In short, by restricting the payment method to PayPal, eBay is trying to stop fraud.

Advantages of PayPal

The great advantage of PayPal is that you can send money to anyone in the world without either party knowing each others financial details – to receive money, all you need is an email address. With PayPal, you can send and receive money in 190 countries.

PayPal also provides purchase protection for buyers on eBay. It helps eligible buyers recover funds from eBay sellers who do not deliver the promised goods, or who deliver goods that are significantly not as described in the listing. Eligible buyers may, at PayPal's sole discretion, receive a payment from PayPal or have funds recovered from sellers.

PayPal also offer various free developer tools that help sellers manage their online businesses.

The withdrawal issue

I suspect that due to South African foreign exchange controls, South African PayPal users cannot RECEIVE money.

South Africa is not alone when it comes to this rule. To view the functionality available in South Africa (as well as other countries) please visit:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Some possible reasons for non-receipts...

The fact that South African users cannot receive money could also be down to South African banking legislation. (See disadvantage below)

I suspect that in order for PayPal to offer South African users receipt & withdrawal functionality, they would have to be registered with the Financial Services Board of South Africa.

In all likelihood, the fact that PayPal has not taken steps to add this functionality in SA is that it is not high on their agenda – due to the simple fact that there are a relative low amount of PayPal users in South Africa - not due to persons who feel the need to urge their supporters to kill on their behalf or the fact that a couple of Mercedes’ will get you a lucrative contract.

Disadvantages of PayPal

Although PayPal processes payments in manner similar to a bank, it does not prescribe to a banking code.

This means that, unlike a regular bank, as a customer – you do not have the same rights as you would have in the case of a dispute. Your money that is held by PayPal is not guaranteed. Many people have experienced first hand what this means. There are horror stories where some sellers have had their PayPal accounts frozen with no apparent reason. You can just imagine how debilitating this can be – especially to a small business.

Edited on: 18/11/2008

Sorry Design Hibo this is not altogether correct as I did not wish to withdraw funds from the sales I make, I merely wanted to build up funds to be able to pay for purchases I make from EBay. This was made abundantly clear to both Paypal and Ebay, yet when my buyers purchased items from my listings, they were restricted to making payments into my account and I therefore had to embarrassingly cancel all their orders and delist all my items. Ebay nor Paypal were able to assist me further than telling me to look at their 190 countries who they traded with and unfortunately that does not help. TO kee referring us to the 190 is of no consequence because we are not one of the 190 countries. So before any South African is encouraged to start trading check out ALL the facts. If you do manage to be sucessful I eagerly await your reply to see how YOU managed to overcome the payment received hurdle. Happy Jumping.

I have sent countless messages to Ebay and Paypal, to a point where they have stopped responding, other than their auto response system. I even tried to phone Paypal, but the answering service couldn't recognise my South African accent and "couldn't connect my call". The only response that I have received from the two parties is to open a merchant account at a bank and use that to receive payment.

Opening an account like this would mean that you will be charged four times for any single sale, firstly by Ebay, then by Paypal, thirdly your credit card fees, and lastly, when you transfer the funds into an account that you could actually withdraw from.

I have "sold" three items on Ebay and found that the customers could not pay me due to the policies of Ebay and Paypal. Nowhere in the listing of these items was I told that I was not part of the 190 fortunate countries that could accept Paypal. After exhausting all avenues, sent the items to the customers free of charge.

What really gets to me is that Paypal is accepted in countries that have large narcotic syndicates that operate in the America, and are turning their childrens brains to jelly, but we are left in the dark. (Maybe we should join Paypal in Kenya, they will surely be listed in a months time).

Regretably, the only way that we can sell on Ebay and accept Paypal is to have a Pal overseas who can accept your Pay. This, and using overseas based family, seems to be the method currently used by S. A. sellers. I have had contact with some of the people that I have bought from on Ebay, and at 10% of the sale and cost of shipping etc. they would be more than willing to help. How the (once) rich get richer.

Let us try to finalise this matter and PUT IT TO BED for once and for all. This is my most latest confirmation received today regarding South Africans Trading on EBay and using paypal.

My original qustion was

Form Message

customer subject: is this a legitimate Paypal ink

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functi

customer message: Additional Information:

'I have just been sent this link to upgrade to a premier account. Is it a legitimate Paypal website link and can I complete the details requested particularly my banking details

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functional

ity-outside'

The response was

----- Original Message -----

To: Engela Braun

Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:22 AM

Subject: Re: BankAccount/CreditCard (Routing Code: C710-L001-T11002-S111-W0000M0) (KMM83313442I96L0KM) :ppk1

Dear Engela Braun,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Hello! My name is Glazel and I am more than happy to assist you today. I

understand your concern on this matter. Let me do my best to help.

We do not send links to upgrade an account.Here's how to upgrade your

Personal account to a Premier or Business account:

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.

2. Click "Upgrade Account" in the Enhance Your Account section.

3. Click "Upgrade Now."

4. Choose Premier or Business account.

o If you select Premier account, click "Continue" to upgrade your account immediately.

o If you select Business account, click "Continue," enter your business information, and click "Submit."

Here are some tips to help protect your PayPal account.

Keeping your password secure:

* Don't use your PayPal password on any other site.

* Don't share your password.

* Change your password every month.

Ensuring that emails are really from PayPal:

* Check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last

name, or the business name on your PayPal account.

* Before clicking a link in an email, put your cursor over the link

and look at the web address. If it doesn't start with

https://www.paypal.com, don't click it.

* See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email

will never ask you for any of the following:

o Bank account numbers

o Debit and credit card numbers

o Driver's license number

o Email addresses

o Your full name

Check for attachments. We will never send an attachment or software

updates to install on your computer.

Preventing spoof and phishing:

Spoof and phishing are illegal methods to collect personal and financial

information by using fake emails, websites, and phone calls. With stolen

information, criminals could commit credit card fraud and engage in

other illegal activities.

Phishing emails attempt to steal your identity by tricking you into

revealing your password or other personal or financial information.

These emails often link to websites that try to get you to enter credit

card numbers, Social Security numbers, or account passwords.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to

spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your mailbox.

To learn more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal

webpage.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

GlazelPayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Consumer advisory - PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal's stored

value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority

of Singapore. Users are advised to read the terms and conditions

carefully.

Thanks for that.

Now the other question is if I do upgrade to Premier account will this mean that eventhough I live in South Africa, I will now be able to receive payment from customers for items I list on Ebay or (as I have already experienced on my Personal Account with Paypal) will the Ebay customer still be denied the option to pay via Paypal.

If the answer is yes will my customers on EBay are given the option to pay via Paypal with my Premier Account, can I retain the payments I receive in Paypal for future purchases I make on EBay without making any withdrawals.

According to the person who sent me the Paypal Link I was informed that there are many South African traders on Ebay who are successfully buying and selling and I would like to know how this is been accomplished.

Dear Angela Braun,

Thank you for contacting PayPal. My name is Chris and it's my pleasure

to provide the assistance you need today.

I am so sorry to inform you that the service which can allow customers

to accept payments to their PayPal account is not yet available in South

Africa. Please use a different payment method outside PayPal for your

payment receiving purposes.

Due to the complexities of global finance, members in some countries and

regions may not use PayPal to receive payments only send payments, but

this is not a reflection on our customers.

For more information on individual country and region capabilities to

send and receive funds, visit the PayPal website and click "Worldwide"

in the footer of the page. To view all countries that cannot receive

payments, click the "190 countries" link. The countries listed under

"Send Money to Anyone in the Growing PayPal Network" can only send

payments.

PayPal is constantly working to expand and improve our services for our

customers. We hope to expand our features for these countries or regions

but due to the complexities of global finance, we cannot give a

timetable for this expansion.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for

any inconvenience it might have caused you.

Sincerely,

Christopher

PayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Consumer advisory - PayPal Pte. Ltd., the holder of PayPal's stored

value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority

of Singapore. Users are advised to read the terms and conditions

carefully.

Sorry Rusty500 your info is not correct and before South African's start rushing to sell on EBay and burn their fingers as I did (Very costly excercise- I still have to pay all the fees charged for the items I listed and sold, and could not complete the sale) I thought I would have a final bash at it to see i your information was indeed correct. ALAS no deal

Hi Angela

Please go back to my last posting and read it carefully. I merely said that it is impossible to receive money via Paypal, unless, like many South Africans, they use the Paypal accounts of friends or family that live overseas. The other alternative is to sell your items on a "consignment" basis via a registered Paypal user that can receive money.

Regards

Rusty500

Apologies Rusty500 I must have misread your posting. I am sorry for the error. It is just that I know I have exhausted all avenues and am no lonter interested in selling on Ebay when we have a far better way on BOB which in my opinion surpasses anything EBay can offer.

Hello everyone

I made an error in my previous post.

to clarify: South African users who sign up to PayPal can only SEND payments. They can’t RECEIVE payments.

I apologise for getting your hopes up and I have edited my post.

Ebay South Africa

I’ve noted that eBay has a South African version:

PayPal is of course toted heavily on the site.

I’ve noted that some sellers on the site (registered in South Africa) are accepting PayPal. I suspect that they used their European issued credit cards to initiate their PayPal accounts.

It does seem odd that PayPal is touted as the preferred payment method when you can’t receive money - let alone withdraw it.

I will do some more investigation into the matter and report back to the thread.