Sign in to follow this  
Virgotec

Sick and tired of sellers that can't read.

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

Why do sellers have an option for "insured" at 2% or whatever extra and when you select and pay for the option, your item is still sent Economail?

If sellers on BOB are so desperate for an extra couple of rand, rather go stand on a street corner with a board around your neck.

I know, not all sellers are guilty, however I have experienced this over and over and am getting tired of it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little gripe.

:confused::mad:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Econoparcel is insured up to R100 and the label is the green "PE" one.

Any parcel insured with a value over R100 is issued with the pink "PA" label. There is still an argument ensuing with the SAPO as to how much the base rate for these parcels is, but the 2% insurance always applies.

I for one state clearly in my postage options that the Econoparcel is insured up to R100, yet I still get buyers who select Insured parcel and pay the additional 2% even if the parcel is valued only at R10!

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

I understand that. But why have the additional option of insured mail with an additional fee if the value is under R100.00.

My point is....If I pay extra and request insured, why do they not send my item insured.

I was a Postmaster for 10 years I do know the difference and I also know that when it comes to claims on Econoparcels vs Insured parcels, it is definately better to have your item insured using the pink PA label.

RISadler    10
RISadler

If I understand correctly, OHT32, your beef is with sellers not insuring the parcel even though you paid for it. Correct?

Well, the way I see it, the insurance option is there for the benefit of the buyer. If the seller fails to insure the parcel, even though the buyer specified and paid for it, and it disappears, then the seller owes the buyer a full refund (plus postage).

BoB will (probably) enforce this, as will the small claims court.

Basically, in my opinion, although you paid for a service not rendered, as long as you receive the item in good order, all's well that ends well. And it is the seller taking all the risk for a few extra Rand.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

My suggestion to OHT32 is that if this happens to you again, you notify communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za. If you have paid for insurance, regardless of the value of the parcel, it should be sent insured by the Seller!

In my opinion there are far too many sellers making a quick buck out of shipping and/or insurance and, as you say, they could just as well be standing on the street corner begging! It is NOT an acceptable practice to rip buyers off, even if it is to the tune of R5.00 a throw!

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

As far as I am aware and my post office also backs this, econoparcel is not insured up to R100.00.

It is Registered Mail that is insured up to R100.00 and small parcels can be sent via this method.

SProducts    10
SProducts

I have most of my stuff at below R100.00 and some tellers insure and some says it has to be R100.00 or more.

I had a buyer won an item for R1.00 and paid insurance for it which was 2c, I then sent it econo and should it had been lost I would be responsible for it and I decided not to insure all parcels below R100.00 as I have to deal with different teller with different understandings. Although the system will insure any amount.

My take, its not like the seller are trying to make some money. They take it upon themselves to be responsible if there are problems.

Sipho

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

I just reckon that since I am the one paying and the seller has listed the option. If I pay for and opt for it irrespective of the value of the item, it should be shipped that way.

If sellers want to decide for the buyer how an item will be shipped, they must state that in their shipping options. Not let people pay for a service they are not going to get anyway, because the seller has a different agenda.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I fully agree with you, OHT. It IS possible to send a parcel valued at under R100 per insured mail! I do it every so often and if your PO give you a different story, just tell them to call their supervisor! (I think that you do, of course, have to pay insurance on the first R100 as I don't think they have insurance figures for items under R100).

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

The minimum insured value is R100.00.

The minimum insurance fee payable is R2.00 or 2% whichever is the greater.

When I ship an item valued at under R100.00, I specify the value as R100.00, after all "Insured Post" is what the buyer is paying for.

When I request insurance from a seller, I add R2.00 to my payment if the value is under R100.00 eventhough most sellers state 2% for insurance.

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

Hi OHT32,

I've seen a few sellers that pocket the 2% additional 'insurance' fee the buyer pays, and in exchange they personally refund any and all lost parcels.

I, as a seller, am still waiting for lost parcel claims to clear since January. I have a policy that I refund the client out of my pocket and then wait for SAPO to pay me. Some sellers might not want to do this, so they try to self-insure. Sending the parcel economail, and pocketing the 2% insurance fee for future 'pay-outs'.

I'm not sure what the legality of this is (feels fraudish to me...), but you as a buyer has 100% of the law on your side if an instance arrives and your parcel gets stolen. The seller will HAVE to refund you, at their own expense.

But I completely understand your point of view. You should take this up with the seller and ask them to explain.

Kind regards,

Amanda B

SProducts    10
SProducts
The minimum insured value is R100.00.

The minimum insurance fee payable is R2.00 or 2% whichever is the greater.

When I ship an item valued at under R100.00, I specify the value as R100.00, after all "Insured Post" is what the buyer is paying for.

When I request insurance from a seller, I add R2.00 to my payment if the value is under R100.00 eventhough most sellers state 2% for insurance.

Agreed, as mentioned on my previous post I had a buyer who won an item for R1.00 and paid 2c insurance. In this case will I have to add R1.98 and insure it at R2.00?

I know you can explain this, R2.00 or 2% whichever is greater, but I have experience it confuses many buyers. I havem many items that sells for less than R20.00 and most buyers wants to insure.

So to avoid fighting with tellers.

I am not condoning this, especially for insurable values of R100.00 or more.

Sipho

kinleroux    10
kinleroux

So, I am one of those sellers that post packages not insured even if the postage method is for insured mail.

Here is how we work.

If a package value is under R200.00 and the buyer opted for insured we still send uninsured. If it is above R200.00 we only start insuring (this is on product cost not selling price).

In our postage section we very clearly state, and I quote "Note that if you do not choose the insured option that you take full risk of "lost" and mishandled packages. If you choose insurance on the package we take full risk."

How I decide to insure it for the customer is by business. What is important is that if the package do get damaged or lost they will receive refund or replacement. I never say that I will use post office insurance (which by the way is a waist of time on orders below R200.00 as the time and effort outweigh getting the money back).

Who say post office must insure the package? I can insure it anyway I like as long as I take the risk away from the customer as requested!

Why do I not insure through the postoffice:

1. It takes to long to get the money back - leaving the customer without his order - or I have to pay customer back and I have to wait for my money from the post office.

2. I have to increase my insured shipping rates as econo parcels can not be insured and I have to go for a post office shipping rate that is R15.00 more + 2% insurance.

Now it is very seldom that packages get lost or damaged so the R2.00 here and R3.00 there build up nicely so when a package do get lost or damaged I can without reservation refund or replace immediately.

As I see it my customers pay less for shipping and I can give a better service.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Another good reason not to insure with the post office is that they only cover loss, not damage which a seller could be willing to cover.