Sign in to follow this  
shamotz

How to value a second hand car

shamotz

Hi I need to know how to put a price on a second hand car. I am buying a car from my brother in law but he says that I should pay him what I feel the car is worth or that I should get a price for it. How do I calculate what the market value of it is? :?

Virgotec

Contact any new or used car dealership, they will be able to tell you what the current retail, trade-in and resale value is. Alternatively the AA or any short term insurance company.

Hope this helps.

bob admin

Hi shamotz,

You could go to the nearest second hand car dealer and give them the make and model of the car. Ask them for the trade-in amount.

In Afrikaans it is called "boekie waarde" don't know what that is in English.

Regards,

Andries

shamotz

Thanks bube02 and Andries.

Know of any reputable dealerships near cresta?

bob admin

If you want the book value you can phone any dealer. You don't have to take the car in to them.

If the car is in good condition, I suggest you go for the book value. They all have a book with every car on the market's value.

admin

Market Value of a Car

It is derived from a handbook called the Mead & McGrouther Auto Dealer's Digest.

The simple equation is:

Market Value = Trade + Retail divided by two.

The above is used for insurance purposes but can be used as a yard stick.

bob admin
Mead & McGrouther Auto Dealer's Digest.

Thank you Admin, that is where they look in to give you the "boekie waarde". Think it is book value in English, directly translated. :?

Virgotec

Hi Shamotz

On Beyers Naude drive is the CAM garage also known as Jurgens Motors. I think it is on the corner ofAlice. I don't know if the owner is still Johann Jurgens, but I have had many dealings with him in the past and he seemed like a nice, honest guy. I am sure if you take the vehicle to him, he will tell you what it is worth.

Hope I'm not contravining any forum rules by posting these details. :oops:

shamotz

Thank you all, I will go to see him tomorrow if I can :D

mrmagoothepoo

The cars value depend on 3 things, the original price, the mileage, and the year. You can check out the website book value which calculates the value of your car online. It give the book value, trade in value and the retail value

Mad about Jack

Give me the year model,vehicle description,kilometre reading and i will give you the M&M suggested trade and retail out of the October book.Original price has nothing to do with it

qball

White subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sportwagon AWD, late 2005 model, 81 000kms... Excellent condition, FSH, extended warranty and maintenance plan (2yrs/40000km) to 100000km's, climate control, ABS, airbags, new tyres, 112kw... what else do you need.... sorry hijacking thread here...:P

Looking to trade mine in... :)

Dumble

Ring Talk Radio 702 Car show on Fridays 19:00-20:00 they will give you the value, great show!

Mad about Jack
White subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sportwagon AWD, late 2005 model, 81 000kms... Excellent condition, FSH, extended warranty and maintenance plan (2yrs/40000km) to 100000km's, climate control, ABS, airbags, new tyres, 112kw... what else do you need.... sorry hijacking thread here...:P

Looking to trade mine in... :)

Hi , this is the suggested trade and retail value on your car however it doesnt mean a garage will pay you that,they work on what you buying,

trade 94800 and retail is 109800

Delicious

Damn.. i STILL can't afford Cuan's wagon :eek: *dramatic sigh*

Cali Craft and Gems

Ok, my turn!

2002 Mazda Etude 160iSe Sportswagon (5 door), 136 000kms... Very good condition, FSH, aircon, electric windows, tow-hitch (although only towed light trailer), ABS, etc. Never been in an accident so no touch-ups. Tyres due to be replaced, both front fog lights need replacing (stones shot up from a CT trip!), brakes replaced in June 2009, next service due soon.

When I worked at a dealership, I sold this car to my hubby. Now I want to buy it from him to put into the business name.

qball

Thanks for the info MAJ :)

dstorm

Hello all

Damn.. i STILL can't afford Cuan's wagon

Do not believe for a moment that Cuan would be seen dead in a car like this...

Regards

Jacques

PS I drive a 1993 Golf1.

Delicious

Do not believe for a moment that Cuan would be seen dead in a car like this...

PS I drive a 1993 Golf1.

And why not? I looooooove subaru's.. i blame hubby's friend for letting me drive his soobie :D

Daihatsu charade 04 model - aka put in petrol and forget about juice for a week or so :D

qball

Now now... golf drivers always say that... :P

Mad about Jack
Ok, my turn!

2002 Mazda Etude 160iSe Sportswagon (5 door), 136 000kms... Very good condition, FSH, aircon, electric windows, tow-hitch (although only towed light trailer), ABS, etc. Never been in an accident so no touch-ups. Tyres due to be replaced, both front fog lights need replacing (stones shot up from a CT trip!), brakes replaced in June 2009, next service due soon.

When I worked at a dealership, I sold this car to my hubby. Now I want to buy it from him to put into the business name.

sorry for the late reply

trade is R50400 and retail is R62400 and tyres are around R600 a piece and 2 foglights around R2k a dealer would probably offer you around R36000