Sign in to follow this  
Alass

Fed Up!!

Alass

I am getting so tired and annoyed

I work practically 24/7selling on bidorbuy.

If and when i leave this computer to either do a DHL or collect stock, or even to

deal with personal issues, i return to atleast 10 negatives!

I cannot even leave my PC on the weekend, otherwise i get reported for not responding?!!

Even though i have an auto response up on my email to say i work office hours etc...

I mail over 100+ DHL items a week, and send out tracking numbers, but all i get in return are buyers complaining.

BiDorBuy's system automatically send out a email asking the buyers to rate the seller,

however because i am in the UK, It is PHYSICALLY impossible to get the item to the buyer before that email comes out in 7 days, so again i get spammed with neutrals or negative ratings, stating that the buyer will change there rating upon receipt of the goods.

But WEEKS go buy and i have over 300+ buyers who have yet to rate or change there neutral / Negative rating for this reason...

My ratings now only show bad feedback... but everyone who receives there items seem to forget about us, as to them - no news is good news.

I get constant verbal abuse in email or in my ratings....which is not called for!

I have done everything in my power to go out of my way with this shipping problems,

I used Royal Mail which made deliver under R100 but that takes weeks to arrive so i got bad ratings and reports about that, so i now use DHL but since that is R400 i now get complaints its to high... I cannot ship any cheaper than this! I am already making a loss on the packaging etc... Especially since it costs me R70 to take the train to deliver these items everyday.

I feel as i sit here practically 24/7, dont even get a break and just abuse and no pleasure.

I am physically being ambushed as i am an international seller.

There is really nothing positive about this at the moment and i feel i am being attacked and bullied purposely by people who do not want the competition.

Is there NO SUPPORT for sellers? Because it feels to me that the buyers are always right, regardless of the situation?!!! :mad:

I dont mean to complain but this situation is getting out of hand, with my hard work being returned with no positive reactions from buyers who dont see the point in rating once they have there stuff :(

brands online

Sjoe man, one step at a time. I feel for you. Good things come to those with patience and perseverance.

It is hard for sellers though. The negative ratings stick out like a sore thumb no matter how many positives you have. My only suggestion as a fellow seller who's had and has those days is initially BOB's like that. But as you go along you learn how to tackle these issues individually and allocate time to all the things involved Listing, admin,parcelling , posting, etc.

As for the rating problem, Ja well... (let me rather get back to all the work I have mentioned above) :D

Best of luck, don't give up just yet!!!

BumbleBee

I can tell you there has been more than one occasion that I just wanted to close all my listings and give this all up. It has been a long and frustrating road thus far but once you find your groove you start enjoying it. I have 5 negative ratings so far, BoB says they have removed the first two, however they are still there, and after that have just stopped responding to my emails. Take a look, all my negatives are revenge ratings! But, you reach a point where you just turn around and say, "F*** it!" I'm going to show them! To hell with those that don't appreciate your effort, there are a few folks out there that do care and those are the people that I stick around for, the ones that depend on me to keep delivering quality and consistency. Sure I don't have the distance to deal with but I deal with the same tiny little problem; people!

Now, if you understood anything that I was just ranting about or not, the only advise I can give you is to ignore the idiots that can't read, just take their money and give them a friendly wave. Stick it out for those who can read and appreciate the quality of your goods and service!

nowtakeadeep128648555205946169.jpg

BumbleBee

....oh, and when you think you're having a bad day at work, just take a moment to think about this poor chap.....

388319_100721193208_bad_day_at_work.jpg

MacMuffin

Is there NO SUPPORT for sellers? Because it feels to me that the buyers are always right, regardless of the situation?!!! :mad:

I dont mean to complain but this situation is getting out of hand, with my hard work being returned with no positive reactions from buyers who dont see the point in rating once they have there stuff :(

Hi Alass - with any business you will face easy and difficult customers. BoB, being the marketplace it is, tries to take a neutral position and act as a referee/arbitrator - unfortunately this becomes a very difficult task as we do not see what happens outside of BoB (i.e. the communication flowing between buyer and seller) and we are unable to assist when it comes to disputes between buyers and sellers regarding the item listed and what was physically received or agreed off-line.

For some items (like a book or electronics) a buyer's expectation can easily be met. For other items (especially jewellery or collectibles) buyers will see a big picture and think that they will receive items in the depicted size - quite unreasonable and unlogical for most of us, but not necessarily the same for those buyers (many of them perhaps even "BoB"-virgins who approach their first few purchases with a lot of caution, insecurity and distrust - all justified as this is a new experience for them).

You will probably find that you don't experience those issues with your "seasoned"/returning buyers and perhaps only the first time buyers. Perhaps more targeted/individual communication, guidance and follow-ups will help. Understandable a lot more work, but a positive sale will result in repeat business and good advertising.

Also, South Africa has not been very lucky with Internet connectivity over the last few weeks and international traffic was not as reliable as it should have been - this could have contributed to communication not reaching the recipients and a follow-up could have perhaps avoided that (from either the buyer or the seller).

I do suggest that you possibly adjust your shipping description. I looked at a few items, and this one says for example "DELIVERY WILL TAKE 1-6 DAYS" and then further down "Once an order has been processed, Delivery for Royal Mail international signed for parcels can take up to 2-4 weeks". Other listings (such as this one) are clearer, but I would try and make those shipping details brief and to the point.

I would also explain to the buyers after they won an auction/buynow the shipping times - unfortunately the reality is that people don't seem to read those details. One can argue that they should have read it and it is all the buyers fault, perhaps it was a mistake or misunderstanding or someone did not pay the necessary attention during the auction-fever. This seems to contribute to your frustration - i.e. a buyer will see items for R 200 but will only notice during completion of the order the DHL shipping charges, which then is not really a good deal (unless one purchases a number of items and combines those into one shipment).

Out of interest: How many parcels shipped via Royal Mail/surface do get missing? If I order from the UK's etailers, over 40% of my deliveries "disappear" in the South African post-office --- very frustrating for international businesses.

Alass

Hey guys

In all honesty i intend to persevear with it... i never quit at anything

i do and i will keep going. My intention is to have a long

and happy relationship with bob

It just gets to me when buyers rate negative at the drop of a hat

and when it comes to giving a positive rating or good service

or items recieved they "forget"

One day i will have enough ratings to not to have to worry about it

but as i am still in the relativly new stages of bob these things

affect me greatly and sales.

This is a business i am building from the ground and its very hard,

this is i guess the first vent i have really had.. but i am glad

you guys are here to sit and listen to me rant :P

--> Macmuffin - Yes part of the cause of my issues are Royal Mail

I had a huge amount of stuff go missing in my first few months of

selling on BOB which is now just catching up with me trying to

Refund and replace the missing items as well as getting new items

sent out is very hard, bank mistakes and all sorts lol

Its a trying time especially as an international seller.

I have in the last month updated my policy to only use DHL

I still state 2-4 weeks because i am catching up on the

retrospective orders.... but i now only use DHL

and have had no problems with those. I also have some return buyers

who are nice and happy people which is good

Good points on my listing though... i hadnt spotted that :-)

---> Bumblebee - i shall be waving all the way to the bank lol

In all honesty i am an easy going guy and really dont like looking

bad.. and it seems these days all these people do is make me look bad

to the people that count and i really dont like it.

But I intend to do my all to carry on selling my heart out

getting as many positives as i can and repairing my normal post error

I will get there it will just take time.. effort and understanding

Thanks for all your comments guys

If anyone has any sudgestions.. a shotgun :-) perhaps then they are all

welcome

Have a great evening from a more chilled out Alass :-)

Cheers

Adrian

daisyjewel

Hey Adrian,

You must not give up... although I have been fortnuate in being able to reason with buyers and have been spared too many bad ratings... there has been a few occasions (OK -- ;) LOTS!!!) of occasions when I have felt like giving up because of difficult situations... but I haven't. And in the grand scheme of things -- it is worth it in the end :)

Re -- the international post -- we have some real "sticky" fingers working at the iternational mail centre -- my sister-in-law is British -- living in SA -- and her mom sends baby clothes and gifts for her son -- you won't believe how many times those parcels have just disappered :rolleyes:

I would recommend Alass as a good person to deal with -- to any buyers out there...

lilythepink

Adrian, as with everything in life one has to contend with the good, the bad and the ugly. Fortunately on BoB most transactions are really good and as time goes by you will find yourself less stressed about things, I'm sure. We all have a passion for what we are doing and by doing things properly (as you are doing) things which seem awry will get sorted out in the long run. Hope your day today starts better than yesterday ... :)

RISadler

I have raised the point about BoB sending out the "please rate seller"-emails way too quickly before, but no real response from them. Set it at a realistic 90 days and many "haven't yet received the item"-negatives will magically disappear!

BumbleBee
I have raised the point about BoB sending out the "please rate seller"-emails way too quickly before, but no real response from them. Set it at a realistic 90 days and many "haven't yet received the item"-negatives will magically disappear!

even 30 days will do the trick.

daisyjewel

I must say I agree with RI and the Bumble bee :)

What ends up happening now ... is people pay a bit late -- then get reminded to rate before their payment has even cleared. They then think I have sent the reminder email and response in a slightly grumpy way -- saying they have not yet got their goods...

It definately would be better to let a bit more time lapse before reminding them.

Vinyl Lady Decals

I agree

Thirty days would be good.

sungems

even 30 days will do the trick.

I agree: I also have had a couple of encounters of buyers who rated me other that positive because they received the email from BOB warning them about their ratings that is outstanding

When explaining to them they understand but then the damage is done and although they promise to change it when the items arrived but mostly they do not get to that again, not to mention the time it took to email them back and forth.

I would like at least 45-60 days as we allow 15 days to combine then allow another 15 days before we file a SNC, the post office most of the time deliver in only 10-15 days or even longer. If the buyer pushes it luck and pay only after a month (and even ask for late payment) and postage takes another 15 days it might easy be 45-60 days before the buyer receive the goods.

I also did send BOB an email about this reminder email: their reply was that the buyer should read the email as they are not threatening them just remind them that there are still outstanding ratings.

lilythepink

I agree with the sentiments that rating reminders should be sent out later by BoB!

Alass

I agree totally.. the ratings reminders cause alot more neutral ratings for sellers

I also think that it seems that buyers are using the negative rating system to bash sellers around the head with it

If a seller is late with sending an item a negative rating is justified

but if a buyer is late paying no matter how rude they are, we are not allowed to rate anything but positive.

I know there will always be holes in any system thats introduced but.. at present the ratings system seems to be a little one sided on the buyers side who can rate with immunity

Buyers are 10 to a penny but sellers are bob's bread and butter

just my 10 cents here :P

qball

Hi All

Thank you for your suggestions in this regard and we do understand your frustration in this regard, however, we do not feel that it is feasible to send out the reminder email later for many reasons. There is no "perfect" time to send it out and the mail is clearly worded to avoid any confusion as to when you should rate the seller.

We also believe 7 days is sufficient for this purpose as the majority of transactions are often concluded within a 7 day period, if not sooner.

There are also security reasons why we wouldn't want to remind someone after 30 or 60 days... by then it could be too late to suspect that the seller may not have shipped the goods, thus the ratings help us in determining such behaviour.

The reminder states the following to the buyer:

"Dear Johan,

Thank you once again from us and our seller community for buying on bidorbuy. We have noticed that you have not yet rated this purchase Super Thin 1.3 Mega Pixel Digital Camera from Bulk Trader. Please keep in mind that your rating should reflect your overall experience which includes product, delivery and service. We therefore encourage you to complete your transaction with the seller before placing a rating about this particular experience.

Should you have a problem with the product, delivery or service during this transaction please contact the seller of this item in an attempt to resolve it before rating the experience.

Click here to give a rating should the transaction be complete.

Why you should leave feedback:

Every time you buy on bidorbuy you should rate the product and the seller. The rating can be positive, negative, or neutral, depending on your experience. All feedback that a bidorbuy member receives from other members is displayed on the users profile and reflects their trustworthiness."

We unfortunately cannot make it any clearer than that, or repeat it more.

Also sending out the reminder so long afterwards could still cause just as many problems, and if the buyer still hasn't received the goods, they will still rate you negative, whether it's 7 days or 30.

Regarding our bread and butter - buyers and sellers alike provide bidorbuy with our revenue, not just sellers. Sellers may pay the fees but without the buyers you would not have any sales and we wouldn't have any fees. To think otherwise is not wise, as your business success depends on these dime a dozen buyers.

If you communicate effectively with your clients you will minimise these issues. Part of this issue is about buyers not rating, unfortunately this is at the buyers' discrection, we cannot force them to rate you, nor can we follow up with every single buyer on the site to check when they will rate you as a seller. Please also remember, just as there is abuse of the system by buyers, sellers are often just as guilty of this abuse. Sellers also believe they can rate with so called "immunity", we get just as many complaints from buyers stating the seller has rated them unfairly. With any rating system, there are loopholes, but primarily these are caused by emotional and personal retaliations by buyers and sellers alike. The system is only as good as the people who are using it... even with the discussions around the new rating mechanism, there will always be people who will find a way to abuse it and manipulate it, no matter how it is structured, designed and controlled.

I believe this thread has come to an end and will be closed.

Thank you

Cuan