Sign in to follow this  
Guest MacMuffin

How should the improved rating work?

sungems

I agree totally that we need to be able to change the rating. We also by mistake rated a sale not to what it is supposed to be as it were next in line after other ratings.

We also need to change the rating when we do file a SNC and rate negative accordingly. The buyer sometimes pays after he/she receive that negative rating. Surely these rating needs to be changed.

I also did rate a buyer negative after receiving a negative rating. The product were exactly as described but still they were not satisfied, we offered a refund but they did not respond just give us a negative. Our response were not revenge but as we tried to resolve the situation for the buyer and they did not even bother to respond they deserve a negative and I believe ours were not called for.

A sale is not complete when the buyer paid for the item and it is posted. It is only complete when the buyer do receive the item and he/she is satisfied with it, if they are not satisfied, the sale will only be complete until the dissatisfaction is resolved. Therefore we only rate our sales when it is complete not just when the buyer pays for it. This will solve most sellers problems when giving a positive and then need to change it later to something else (not as a revenge rating but maybe because of legit reasons)

Regarding negative ratings: This is mainly newbie’s that is giving negatives. They do not know what to expect, how the rating system works and for buyers they are also very afraid. But the biggest problem with newby buyers is: they do not read therefore are under a false impression of how it works or/and what to expect and when reality kicks in, they do not go back to the auction to read what they have bought as well as the sellers terms (for newbie sellers it is the same they also do not understand what or how it should be done), Both just use the rating system to express there dissatisfaction that should have been placed (most of the time) at there own feet. Or use it as a communication tool. I would like to make a suggestion that buyers and sellers should according to there star rating (but this should not just be the total of ratings but total of other users given them ratings as anyone can buy 20+ small items from only one buyer) get a sort of higher score when providing a rating especially a negative rating and if a newbie with less than a certain amount of users giving them a rating gives a negative rating it should be diverted to another page where more explaining is involved.

On some situations the buyer do give a negative without contacting the buyer, this action itself deserve a negative rating as they did not even try to inform the seller of there dissatisfaction or try to resolve the issue. But irrespective if this seller do give this buyer a negative rating or not. The seller might then contact the buyer and ask why????? The situation can then be resolved and both parties can change the rating to positive therefore again needing to be able to change the rating after it’s given.

BeadandCraft Studio

Having read the numerous posts about unfair ratings given to buyers after they have done"their bit",namely by paying on time,I have to point out that paying on time is not the only part the buyer plays in the whole transaction.It's so easy to say,yes I paid within 48 hours as stipulated by the seller and so I deserve a positive rating,right.WRONG!!!

Buyers fail to realise that most reliable and honest sellers offer money back guarantees,should they be unhappy with their purchases. I,for one have a money back guarantee on my listings and I also state so in my emails to buyers.I also state that, if they are unhappy with their purchases,they should contact me to resolve the problem,before leaving negative/neutral feedback.

However,when a sudden negative/neutral rating is given by the buyer,without any indication that they are unhappy with their purchase or any contact with the seller,Can you honestly say that the buyer has completed their transaction in a postive way.No,I dont think so.

Also when the seller bends over backwards,to make the buyer happy at his/her own expense in a way of refund/exchange and receives no feedback from the buyer,has the buyer completed their transaction in a positive manner.I dont think so.

By not giving the seller a chance to rectify the matter,how can you give the seller a negative/neutral rating.Granted,if a seller does not respond,or does not want to help in anyway,then by all means,give that negative/neutral rating.But there are many sellers who are most willing to help the buyer in anyway possible,but they end up with a raw deal.

To sum this up,I would really like to know,if I get a negative/neutral rating and have done everything within my means to contact the buyer to offer a refund and buyer does not respond or email her banking details,do I sit with the negative/neutral ratings forever.And can I change her positive rating to neutral/negative,after all she has not completed her side of the transaction,by contacting me even though I have stated that there is a moneyback guarantee on all my items. Or would I seem like a vindictive seller giving out revenge ratings.

So you see,there are different ways of looking at this,and no ,we sellers are not ganging up on buyers.I think everyone of us that post on the forum,has had some form of unfair ratings given to them by buyers,and it seems that unfair ratings only bother those that really go out of their way to please the customer and its rather sad,that in spite of all these efforts,we are left with nothing to show for it,but the bad rating

Little Miss Muffet

I totally agree with what Dreambeadz says here.

Communicating through a negative rating is not the answer.

I recently missed a buyers payment. 12 days had passed and I had not posted the item.I posted it speed post which cost me R70 more than the postage would have been. This was my mistake and he deserved to receive his item ASAP.

This buyer was entitled to give me a bad rating but gave me 2 very positive ratings.

Buyers need to realize that sellers make mistakes but I think some buyers get nervous about loosing their money and press the neg. button too quickly.

sungems

My posts against the current rating system are not out of experience for receiving a bunch of negative ratings. On the contrary, we did not receive a lot of negative ratings, we even did not receive one in months, but most of them received were totally uncalled for. My fight is just to get a good rating system that is fair.

I do value my buyers, if it were not for them I would not be able to sell my goods. The rating system should just eliminate the unfair neutral and negative ratings. Those valid or even debatable can stay.

And to agree with DreamBeads and Geewhizz and a lot of other sellers. Buyers do see it as a revenge rating when they give the seller a negative and get one back, but if we try to do anything in our power to solve any situation even if we are not at fault and we still get a negative rating, that buyer deserve a negative rating and I believe that the original negative given by the buyer should be removed IF the seller did try to solve the problem and were rejected or not even answered by the buyer.

I do value my buyers, if it were not for them I would not be able to sell my goods. The rating system should just eliminate the unfair neutral and negative ratings.

And to agree with DreamBeads and Geewhizz and a lot of other sellers. Buyers do see it as a revenge rating when they give the seller a negative and get one back, but if we try to do anything in our power to solve any situation even if we are not at fault and we still get a negative rating, that buyer deserve a negative rating and I believe that the original negative given by the buyer should be removed IF the seller did try to solve the problem.

RAG Auctioneers

As long as you can rate between the three ratings (pos, neu, neg), and users can rate freely, there will always be abuse.

So to reduce abuse, you either have to modify the three ratings system, or modify users free will to rate. :confused:

tipisa

We love our buyers, they are the reason we sell on about 36 auction sites all over the world as well as our own personal site. But there are always bad apples between the lovely and delirious ones. This post are only for those bad apples not the majority of buyers who we enjoy working with.

According to the forum entries on “extreme shipping charges” we do realize that the local sellers seems not to have a big love for oversea sellers, but as some of us are selling from outside SA our shipping charges are higher than local sellers. This is unavoidable and also the reason why we do receive unjustifiable negative ratings.

We clearly on different location state in each auction; Please note we are selling from the USA. We provide all the detail regarding our shipment cost, a detailed description how we calculate it and all our other terms and conditions and combining structure.

Buyers do not read it. We have had a number of buyers threading us after they compulsively place there bid/bids 1+ and sometimes up to 40+ auctions. Some of the threads are

• If we do not cancel the sale/s by mutual agreement they will rate us negative,
  • Other informs us that if we do not do what they want, there will be consequences for us,
  • others suggest or instruct us to cancel the sale for mutual benefits,
  • the list go on and on. Most of these thread are not suggestive or that we need to ‘read between the lines” to get the message, it is a strait forward instructions/threads

We then have two options: a agreed cancelation or inform the buyer cancelation is unfortunately not possible (as our terms on each auction clearly stipulate).

If we do cancel the sale we give in for the threads the buyers do make and they can go ahead and do what ever they want as they just put pressure on the seller to get what they want therefore the commitment they made is a joke.

If we do go ahead and inform the buyer we do not cancel the sale, we might end up with a negative rating. If the buyer do not pay it is easy as a SNC can be filled. BUT when we inform the buyer we do not cancel bids, some of them inform us again: Okay, they will pay but we will be sorry that we want to keep them to the commitment they made. Some of them then just pay the winning amount and not the shipment amount some pay the full amount and as they promised we receive that negative rating from them.

Although BOB did remove most of those ratings up to now it still is a huge process, emails back and forth and a lot of time we need to spend to get the ratings hopefully removed.

On previous posts in this thread is a lot of ideas as to how a new rating system should work and we suggest that the initial part can stay the same but the moment a user want to rate the other user neutral or negative another processes should start. We also suggest that when a neutral or negative want to be given each should be done independently and not in a group.

Some posts suggest a answering system that can eliminate emotions. We suggest the same kind of rating system if a neutral or negative want to be given. A fixed question is asked with a definite answer like below

Did you contact the buyer to resolve the problem:

Yes | No

Did the seller propose a solution to the problem

Yes| No | Did propose a solution but not acceptable to me

Are you given this neutral/negative as a result of:

Shipment and combining fees | Item not as described | Time frame parcel were posted | Communication | ? |

And for sellers the selection might look like

Payment not received in time| Payment not received at all| Buyer not satisfied although exactly as described | Did my best to help/accommodate buyer but buyer did not respond to my communication | ? |

This selections of options should also be an input from all users as they all have reasons why neutrals/negatives have been given/received that is fair or unfair

When they click on any of the options, more options relating to that aspect need to be provided

If the buyer maybe chosen: shipment and combining fees.

The following options can be asked:

Were the shipment and combining the same as provided on the auction | Were the shipment and combining more as provided on the auction

Therefore even if the shipment and or combining fees are high but if it is as provided it eliminate emotion immediately and the reason for the negative they want to give is an invalid reason and stops the emotional rating just there

Except when emotion is eliminated through this selection process every/any option they choose the last screen should be to provide proof of there claim egg How much were the shipment provided on the auction vs. How much were charged

The same for combining fees: How much were the combining fee provided on the auction vs. How much were charged.

A screen or pop-up should ask the buyer to go back to the auction to make sure his reasons are factual not emotional and valid.

It will be a huge program and investigation as to what questions/selections should be provided under each different reason for a negative but again I am sure this will benefit all in the end.

I believe BOB receive a number of email’s requesting them to delete negative rating/s. If a more full proof system is in place they will receive a lot less such requests as the system would eliminate most of the revenge and uncalled negative ratings before it is given.

brands online

Interesting ideas and comments tipisa, but that seems like too much work for buyers. As it is with the current rating system and it's ease of use, lots of buyers still lazy to rate... It has to be simple, yet effective and I personally don't see a solution that's going to satisfy both buyers and sellers alike more than the current one, but I do agree it is flawed somewhat. Agh, it's not a perfect world either...

sungems
Interesting ideas and comments tipisa, but that seems like too much work for buyers. As it is with the current rating system and it's ease of use, lots of buyers still lazy to rate... It has to be simple, yet effective and I personally don't see a solution that's going to satisfy both buyers and sellers alike more than the current one, but I do agree it is flawed somewhat. Agh, it's not a perfect world either...

Tipisa provided with a similar solution than I did just a little less complicated.

When the buyer want to rate positive it would be just as now, therefore not a lot of effort, but as soon as the rating would be other that positive, the giver of this lesser rating would need to make sure of his/her facts. I believe a little more effort when giving a neutral or negative deserve a little more effort.

As to my suggestion and now Tipisa’s: When a neutral or negative rating is based on facts not emotion it will eliminate a lot of problems.

As long as the questions or selections is formulated to referred back to the sellers own terms, conditions, shipment fees & combining fees, therefore did you receive, pay, post that were provided by the seller