Sign in to follow this  
MacMuffin

Restrictions for blocking buyers

MacMuffin

As discussed in this thread, we have modified the way sellers can block buyers. In short: you are only allowed to block a buyer if you had a trade-relationship with that buyer.

Blocking of buyers, because they are new users, first-time buyers or have asked "difficult" questions on trades is now disabled.

We will also delete blocked buyers from sellers who have never had trade-relations with those sellers and inform the sellers via email in the next few days as this cleanup happens.

It is unfortunate, that some sellers decided to block first-time buyers and abused this facility. We believe that in most instances a block could have been avoided through better communication.

Please use the community watch to report buyers if you feel that they violate bidorbuy's terms and conditions and the customer care team will deal with those complaints.

lilythepink

I agree with your sentiments, MacMuffin. It is just not fair to block new buyers - we all had to start somewhere. (It's equivalent to expelling a Grade 1 child before he has had a full day at school!)

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI macmuffin and all

I dont know the extent of the blockings but surely we are mature enough to decide who we may block-i have never blocked a newbie and will never do that but i do watch other sellers abuse the system and buyers alike with their misleading advertising ,discreet listings way over the top descriptions etc-i refuse to do business with such unethical bobbers and therefore would like to block such a bobber so that he cannot use my stock to carry his business and keep abusing all and sundry-I feel this is my right to refuse to do business with such a bobber.

neil

MacMuffin
HI macmuffin and all

I dont know the extent of the blockings but surely we are mature enough to decide who we may block

One would hope so? Unfortunately there's always one that spoils it for the rest - in this specific case quite a few who did the spoiling.

I was equally shocked when I analyzed the currently blocked users - this post details the matureness quite well and this resulted in us adjusting the rules on how buyers should be blocked.

We will review this in a few months and might do further adjustments or possibly lift this rule if everyone plays nice.

RAG Auctioneers

I think this was a good idea.

Abuse of the blocking system could eventually squeeze BOB into negative growth acceleration.

mellowred

I also agree with this. BoB can only grow through new buyers/sellers joining the site.

@MacMuffin. Why not send a mail to all active members informing them of how good your set up is for search engines. Perhaps members don't realise the value attached to worldwide searchers being able to access their listings.

I sold a book (for R10) to a first time buyer. He was searching for this book on Google and came across my listing. Turns out he is related to the late author and this was the only book he did not have. He volunteered to pay R120 including postage as he was worried that the book would be lost in transit. I ended up with R40 in my pocket for the book. He was so impressed with BoB that he may create more business for the site. I met a very nice gentleman.

Imagine if I had blocked him purely because he was a first time buyer!

MacMuffin
I also agree with this. BoB can only grow through new buyers/sellers joining the site.

@MacMuffin. Why not send a mail to all active members informing them of how good your set up is for search engines. Perhaps members don't realise the value attached to worldwide searchers being able to access their listings.

I sold a book (for R10) to a first time buyer. He was searching for this book on Google and came across my listing. Turns out he is related to the late author and this was the only book he did not have. He volunteered to pay R120 including postage as he was worried that the book would be lost in transit. I ended up with R40 in my pocket for the book. He was so impressed with BoB that he may create more business for the site. I met a very nice gentleman.

Imagine if I had blocked him purely because he was a first time buyer!

A very good suggestion, mellowred. A few weeks back, we started building YouTube - bidorbuyvideos's Channel where we will post tutorial videos and content which is easier to show than to put in words. We find that email is not the right medium for that type of interaction and video might just be.

BTW: Do yourself a favour and visit our Youtube channel - we have posted videos which compliment the radio campaigns we are running on most major stations - they are quite funny, and you might just spot your listing. (Also have a lookout for our bill-board advertising outside our offices on Main Road - we will do a couple of "interesting" things there in the future).

Your story about the first time users hits the nail on the head - we are putting a lot of effort into search optimizations on a daily basis and invest a significant amount of money to attract new users - it is than heartbreaking (more so for our financial officer) to see those users not transacting due to inappropriate conduct between buyers/sellers on this site.

mellowred

The ads are good - I hear them on KFM and usually have a good giggle.

The frustration is that most of us are lazy and don't read what is available (especially mails sent out - that I agree with).

Your problem is getting the message across to the blockers.

Perhaps a flashing warning when blocking first timers? I confess I'm lazy when it comes to reading these messages too :(. I tend to just "ok" and move on. A concise warning flashing about search engines may make the blockers think twice.

I understand BoB's heartbreak surrounding this issue, and hope in time long-time users will appreciate the necessity of new users.

Good luck