Sign in to follow this  
Natalie_R

The Crafts Section is Being Stitched, Glittered & Glued

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Dreambeadz - re the "don't care" wasn't directed at the sellers but at the BoB team who like to redesign things which result in chaos and stacks of extra work for the affected sellers!

I'm having to redo every single listing of mine (over 1300) just because the system change has resulted in the contents of the tables going haywire!

It has left me so frustrated and disheartened that I'd rather go out to the shops than stay in the office! I need something to cheer me up!

BeadandCraft Studio

I know exactly how you feel,and also if you notice when you copy and relist items,they sometimes go to previous categories unless you change them individually and in this case the picklist is of no use to us,because we still have to manually edit the items into the new categories.Only realised this quarter way through,hence the error.Not to mention aligning the pics.All my pics/descriptions look askew,well that's for another weekend.Just got to ask hubby if he's on kitchen duty,this weekend as well.

BeadsandBaubles

@ Dreambeadz

Just got to ask hubby if he's on kitchen duty,this weekend as well.

LOL! We should start a club for them. Would be interesting to listen in on the conversation to say the least :P:D

Cali Craft and Gems

On the note of the listings, I take pride in how my ones look so when it's haywire and wonky with all sorts of text sizes and colours, it makes my listings look unprofessional!

On the note of hubby's and kitchen duty - mine is well trained in that department! LOL! We usually make supper together if he doesn't work overtime and every now and then it's either just me or just him doing the full toot. But he had been working 7am to 6pm for a few months solid which left the cooking to me entirely. The overtime has stopped for a while now so he gets home around 4:20pm now which is a blessing. It was his turn to cook last night so what happened you may ask? He was too tired so we got KFC instead! I could never get away with THAT stunt no matter how tired I was!

Talk about being chicken!

:D

Natalie_R

A Little More Glitter

Hi everyone,

After a look at your discussions on the forum and we've made the following decisions:

Swarovski beads is changed to Crystal beads (because we have a general policy not to list by brand names)

We've added Metal beads and Acrylic & Lucite beads (because they are prominent bead sorts)

We've added Mats to Boards & Trays (to be more inclusive)

Unfortunately we can't make all the suggested changes because everyone has a different viewpoint on the matter, and because we have certain general criteria that we try to stick to when organising subcategories on bidorbuy.

The Crafts category is looking really great. It's more encompassing and more organised. Well done to all the sellers who have taken the time to move their listings to their correct positions. Please remember that these changes take time to incorporate: for us at bidorbuy, and for you as sellers.

Adding over 150 brand new sub-sections to a category is quite a tricky task; especially to a section that is as detailed and nuanced as Crafts.

BeadandCraft Studio

Thank you,Natalie,for a job well done and for understanding that it will take a while and through trial and error,we will get our listings into the right category.It must also be noted that certain beads can fall into 1 or more categories,depending on the way you use the item,eg metal beads(depending on the size),can also be listed as spacers too.So,would this be a problem,if I listed them in either category?

Cali Craft and Gems

Firstly, thank you for the extra sub-categories - it's going to help!

@ Dreambeads - re the metal beads & spacers. Metal beads will be more like your fluted or filligree round beads, and the spacers can be your flat metal "daisy" spacers and others (rondelles, glass, etc).

Natalie_R
Thank you,Natalie,for a job well done and for understanding that it will take a while and through trial and error,we will get our listings into the right category.It must also be noted that certain beads can fall into 1 or more categories,depending on the way you use the item,eg metal beads(depending on the size),can also be listed as spacers too.So,would this be a problem,if I listed them in either category?

You could list them in either category.

Remember that the people who buy your products are also aware of the overlaps, so they should know to look in both categories!

BeadandCraft Studio
You could list them in either category.

Remember that the people who buy your products are also aware of the overlaps, so they should know to look in both categories!

Thanks,Natalie.That's precisely what I mean.Most regular buyers that I have dealt with regard the small metal beads as spacers,so based upon this,I will continue to list certain small metal beads under the category of spacers. :).Obviously,I would use my discretion,to aptly place the proper metal beads in the right category.

BeadsandBaubles

Thanking you, Natalie and the rest of the team @ bidorbuy.

You are STARS!!!! The categories are fantastic :D could'na done it better myself. We definitely have enough to work with (for now :P)

The whole selling experience on BoB is becoming more and more of a pleasure (difficult customers notwithstanding) and I take my hats off to you all for listening to our gripes and doing your utmost to accomodate us all.

Lotsa (virtual) hugs and kisses to you all - mwah, mwah, mwah.

Thanx

Cali Craft and Gems

I know I'm stirring up an old pot here, but once you've read what I've got to say, then perhaps more than one person will jump on this bandwagon in agreement!

When the bead categories were changed, I jumped up and down (in frustration) at the sub-category change from Swarovski to crystal beads. Now several months later my point can be proven over and over again.

The "crystal bead" sub-category is absolutely flooded out with every sort of glass bead that seller's think is a crystal bead, and as such the Swarovski's have disappeared into the distance. (currently 1140 listings in this sub-category alone out of the entire beading section which totals only 5301 listings - "crystal beads" therefore grabbing a whopping 21.5% of the entire beading section all on it's own!)

There is another sub-category which is never used - Cultured Pearls - as everyone uses the Freshwater Pearls one - which is practically the same thing!

My suggestion therefore is that the Cultured Pearls tag be changed to Swarovski beads so that they can once again be listed independantly, and the Crystal beads can have their own independant category which I am sure will increase the sales across board for all sellers. If this is not possible, then still change the Cultured Pearls, but to Bulk Beads (not wholesale or findings items - but exclusively for the bulk packs such as the ones that "crystally yours" is listing)

I for one can vouch a drastic decline in Swarovski sales since the category was generalised. I would normally have replenished my entire stock load by this time, yet due to the lack of Swarovski sales, I have not had to replace anything yet - and I spend thousands of dollars on Swarovski's (just to give you an idea on the decline!).

So to the powers that be, PLEASE consider my suggestion above - it makes a lot of sense to all bead sellers and buyers alike!

:idea:

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems
extra info

BeadsandBaubles

@ Cali Craft & Gems

Being one of those "guilty" of supplying non-swarovski glass crystals I have no gripe against the changes you advocate. Problem is, I think, with the use of the brand name as this could open up a whole new kettle of fish as many would see this as an unfair advantage. As mentioned previously, would not the other brand names be entitled to their own categories as well - this could well end up as a spate of demands for new categories.

I agree (and guilty here as well) the crystals category is becoming flooded, but comparing my listings to others I am but a small fry here and battling just as much with sales with my cheaper prices et al. I would not mind the better exposure I would receive if the crystals category was split into the high end products and the cheaper alternatives.

Argument aside, for those who think that Swarovski would gain an unfair advantage with its own category (and sticking my neck in after reading all the arguments against it) at the end of the day I do not think it would make that much of a difference. We should not underestimate our buyers, yes there are a few newbies not clued in, but give them a few weeks of buying and they learn to know the difference. In my experience the buyer wants what the buyer wants - wherever it is listed. Some only buy the higher quality/higher priced goods, some go for the cheaper (but just as lovely) alternative.

Why not then just make it EASIER for buyers to find what they are looking for and perhaps have a main category for "BRAND NAMES" craft supplies (and limited only to craft supplies and not the finished product) - a certain amount of flexibility could be allowed here, with sub-categories being added with the actual brand (such as Swarovski, Pandora, Delica, etc) only once the listings on each brand name reaches a certain stable & static quantity. It makes sense that buyers looking for a branded product should be able to find it quickly and easily. For example I know exactly where to look for a "Nokia" brand cellphone, or a "HP" or "Dell" PC, which all have their own sub-categories under their respective main categories.

A happy buyer spends more :grin: and what could be more cheering than giving them a quicker and easier way of finding what they are looking for.

Just my pennies worth.

Sandy

Cali Craft and Gems

@ BeadsandBaubles:

You have raised some pretty good points there! If I browse the suppliers' websites, they are all user friendly as they are divided correctly - branded names and all!

The findings section has been split nicely, but the beads themselves are still pretty much a messy area. I see very few sellers are taking advantage of the "bead kit" category and are still inserting these listings under the sub-categories which is also clogging up the system.

Although there is a wholesale / bulk category under Crafts in general, perhaps the better idea would be to have a wholesale or bulk section per category / sub-category as there are several sellers who offer bulk of multiple different items (beads, scrapbooking, paper crafts, etc to have their own bulk area).

Example:

Bulk - glass beads

Bulk - crystal beads

Bulk - findings - xyz

The list could go on, but one just needs to sift through the listings to see what is applicable.

Perhaps as a rule if there are more than let's say 100 or 150 items in a pack, then it must be listed under bulk (obviously with the exception of the crimp beads which have their own section which is currently not flooded out although the 10000 piece packs could fall under bulk findings!).

Some advice, guidance or suggestions would be most sincerely appreciated. (my mind is bit foggy at the moment cos I've got the flu again - thanks to hubby this time!)