Sign in to follow this  
BumbleBee

Minting error on Silver Proteas?

BumbleBee

I have 3 x 2008 UNC Silver Protea coins that are thicker on the bottom of the coin than the top. There seems to be a "lip" around the bottom of the coin that ranges between 2.6mm and 3mm compared to 2mm around the top. This is kinda frustrating because the buggers won't fit in my capsules :P Anyhow, there might just be a fraction more silver in these coins :D

Can anyone tell me if these are mint errors or just a badly minted coins?

388319_100714140241_DSC03570.JPG

Vertigo

hi ,

looks like a weak strike

put the coins on a digital scale and do a comparison on the weight.

Warm Regards

Verts

Pierre_Henri

That Pictiure ....

Who ever took that picture of the rim of the coin must get an oscar or at least a pat on the back for a seriously great numismatic pic.

Well done...

Vertigo

hope the rails of our Gautrain are struck better :P

EishGK

Superb Pic Indeed. It took me about 4 tries before I managed to submit 'decent' pics of the fake 1931 coins I just posted. Should have gotten tips from you first. Maybe the top coin photographers should post some tips to help improve our postings for sales. Pierre - Your pics are good too - give us some tips.

BumbleBee

Thanks for the compliments on the pic, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D

I take all my pics with my trusty Sony DSC-H1 that I bought back in 2005.

Regarding the weak strike theory, I don't think this is the case. The surfaces and details on the coins are all perfectly struck, its just the reeded edge that is wider around the bottom of the coin, both on the obverse and reverse sides. I have not measured the thickness on the inside of the coins because I don't want to handle them more than absolutely necessary but from all angles the coin does appear to be of uniform thickness all the way accross.

EishGK

Die possible not lined at minting process???

What about the thickness of the rim? Could the rim be thinner were it is raised. This could indicate that the dies were not 100% cetralised resulting in just a little more material being available on one side causing a thicker than normal rim. Just a thought - I have seen this when I worked a tool setter making cannister boddies for car and truck oil filters. If the die is not set up properly - you will notice the material being 'ironed' on the side were the clearance is less resulting in a longer draw on that particular side. The same hapens when using thicker material during the forming of the 'screw/tapping plate'(the partof the filter that screws onto the car) - you will find if the die is not properly lined, a ridge or bur would form on the side with too much clearance. Maybe the experts will have a more plausable explaination. Either way, I would say this could be a minting error unless the Mint is aware of such characteristics and have tollerance bands in which this coin may well fall for this phenomenon.

BumbleBee

You have good point about the dies not being aligned, I've just been checking this out from all angles but the rim does appear to be the same thickness all the way around though. :confused: This is where a micrometer would come in handy ;)