qball

Suggestion Box

zeddeetech

add tapatalk support to the forum..... PLEASE

mellowred
add tapatalk support to the forum..... PLEASE

Can't get through the day without it, hey? :toung:

RISadler

On the "Items bought or won" page, a little checkbox to indicate that the item has been paid.

Reason being that sometimes one completes the "checkout" because the BoB system insists on it or because it is a "Buy now" item, but you have other auction with the same seller and want to group them together in one payment. As it is now, it is very difficult to keep track of what has been paid for and what not.

gilbert2008

Hi. Could you remove all overseas suppliers. It costs more when you collect your goods than the goods itself. I paid R100 for a ring,. then R350 for airfreight then anothjer R200 to collect even after the add says below R500 you dont pay import duties

MsPlod
Hi. Could you remove all overseas suppliers. It costs more when you collect your goods than the goods itself. I paid R100 for a ring,. then R350 for airfreight then anothjer R200 to collect even after the add says below R500 you dont pay import duties

Have you looked at the shipping thread - you are sooooo not alone!

qball

Unfortunately we won't remove foreign sellers. Buyers must read the shipping before placing bids, however, if shipping is more than what was advertised please contact communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za so we can investigate, please send through any documentation confirming the other charges. Unfortunately sometimes SARS don't always stick to the fees and sometimes randomly charge what they like.

As an internet business accessible to anyone in the world, we do not discriminate or stop anyone from using our site just because they are located in another country, there are many foreign sellers (and buyers) that offer great products at reasonable prices, even with reasonable shipping. It is important that you read the shipping charges, and if not sure, ask the seller first before placing your bid.

Jacques Kuun

Hello Cuan

I have said the following before, but I feel that it is worth mentioning the following again:

I am under the impression that as a South African seller (selling retail, not to resellers), my prices on BoB must include all relevant taxes. In other words, I must list an item at the final price (only postage excluded).

The overseas sellers are allowed to list the gross price, which normally does not include customs and VAT.

They are thus enjoying an unfair advantage when it come to their listing prices, however skewed these prices might be.

Especially as far as the CPA is concerned with retailers I feel that it might be illegal for sellers on Bob to list their items without all taxes included, especially as far as VAT is concerned. Be it South African sellers or sellers from abroad.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong and then please ignore the above post.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
Spelling!

alloway65

As an importer I pay Duties and VAT + 10% when my shipments arrive at SA Customs. On the receipt of this payment the goods are cleared.

If a postal/couriered package is picked up by SA Customs which has a value over a certain Rand limit then the recipient/buyer is responsible for paying and Duties and VAT etc before clearing.

Customs can't practically chase up the overseas sender for this payment, hence the sender does not include for these charges in their price.

Therefore the sender/seller must mention this fact in his selling terms and the buyer must adjust/reduce his (auction) offer to allow for these charges......which are for his account.

Jacques Kuun

Hello David

What I want to know is the following: Am I LEGALLY allowed to price items at V.A.T. excluded when I am selling to the public?

Keep well and regards

Jacques

alloway65

What I want to know is the following: Am I LEGALLY allowed to price items at V.A.T. excluded when I am selling to the public?

Morning Jacques,

In my view:

If one is not registered to pay VAT why should one charge VAT.......this VAT would in effect only increase your Gross Profit Margin....or loose you sales due to your prices being increased by 14%!

From memory I only receive one or two VAT invoices from BoB sellers.

Again from memory some time ago on the BoB Forum it was mentioned that the BoB selling prices should include for VAT!!!!

Possibly Cuan can confirm this or otherwise.

Do you include your shop stamp sales with your BoB stamp sales for Tax/VAT purposes...or do you keep them separate???

What I sell on BoB has nothing to do with my Medical Supply Business hence has no influence on my VAT calculations for my Medical Company.

Hope this helps

Take care

David

Jacques Kuun

Hello David

I run my entire stamp business as one business.

My question remains the same: are we as retailers allowed to price / list our items at V.A.T. excluded?

As far as I know, it is against the law to do so. Whether you are V.A.T. registered or not is apparently of no consequence. PickandPay is V.A.T. registered, but their prices must (according to the law) include V.A.T. The crux of the matter is that they are retailers.

All I want to know is (and I will accept any explanation) why are BoB’s overseas seller’s allowed the luxury of listing their items without ANY taxes.

TAKEALOT is a major seller on BoB. They sell many items which are sourced overseas. Yet, they list on BoB at prices that include all taxes (and postage from “overseas” to the RSA).

If I import a stamp from the UK, I pay V.A.T. + postage. These charges form part of my final listing price on BoB. And I pay BoB commission on the final listing price.

I can, short term wise, blow the local philatelic accessories sole agents apart by listing philatelic accessories on BoB at prices that do not include any taxes, once again, V.A.T. is the major factor. Then bypass the commission on the taxes and extra postage (which would have been part of my eventual price = BoB commission). So let the overseas seller list at a low, low price, the buyer pays the extra postage and taxes and the seller pays less commission to BoB.

My final point is: The seller should pay BoB commission on ALL the taxes as well as the postage from overseas to the RSA.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

PS: Years ago my accountant advised me to rather trade from the Isle of Man. His advice makes total sense to me now (24 years later).

alloway65
Whether you are V.A.T. registered or not is apparently of no consequence. PickandPay is V.A.T. registered, but their prices must (according to the law) include V.A.T. It stands to reason that P&P is VAT registered hence they must sell products at prices including VAT......The GST days are long gone.

If I import a stamp from the UK, I pay V.A.T. + postage. These charges form part of my final listing price on BoB. Agreed but if you are VAT registered you get a VAT credit for any import VAT paid.

I can, short term wise, blow the local philatelic accessories sole agents apart by listing philatelic accessories on BoB at prices that do not include any taxes, once again, V.A.T. is the major factor. Then bypass the commission on the taxes and extra postage (which would have been part of my eventual price = BoB commission). So let the overseas seller list at a low, low price, the buyer pays the extra postage and taxes and the seller pays less commission to BoB. Let the more experience Importers and Exporters answer this question.

My final point is: The seller should pay BoB commission on ALL the taxes as well as the postage from overseas to the RSA. Cuan should answer this question.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

PS: Years ago my accountant advised me to rather trade from the Isle of Man. His advice makes total sense to me now (24 years later).

My view is still if you don't pay VAT to SARS why should you charge VAT. Your accountant should be able to give you the proper advice or talk to SARS!

Remember you might sell retail to the public but the public can still resell the items bought from you....as happens on BoB!

Take care and good luck.

David

qball

Overseas sellers cannot be VAT registered. They should disclose if any VAT or duties is applicable, and make the buyer aware, as SARS are supposed to charge VAT on the import. So if they include VAT and then the buyer pays VAT again upon import, they will be paying double VAT. You cannot compare a local company importing items, who are subject to SARS and VAT laws, to that of a foreign company importing goods.

But if you are unsure, please consult with a tax professional.

qball

We do not charge fees on postage/shipping.

Jacques Kuun

Thanks to Cuan and Alloway.

I just needed to know.

OK, the Isle of Man is too far away, maybe I will just move to Gaberone…

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Jacques Kuun

Hello David

Your words: My view is still if you don't pay VAT to SARS why should you charge VAT.

I do pay VAT on whatever I buy as a non registered VAT dealer (cannot claim the VAT back). This is the crux of the whole (non registered) VAT issue.

I still feel that the overseas sellers have at least a 20% advantage on the RSA sellers.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
apelling (as always)

alloway65

Hi Jacques,

I do understand that VAT is charged on items you buy from VAT registered organizations.

If you import a lot of Philatelic items then why don't you register for VAT it is quite a painless precess.

I am actually doing my two monthly VAT returns now.

Why don't you then on your selling pages make a specific point of the fact that as a local seller the buyers don't have to pay customs VAT & Duties etc...and also don't have hassles as they do when buying from overseas sellers!

Take care

David

InfiIT

I've had lights in my head flashing and thought that i would throw it out here

Say for example, seller A wants to sell his products on BoB for R1500, he lists his item, all is fair and well correct?

Now what if he REALLY wants to boost his sales by getting other BoB Sellers or buyers to advertise for him (Exponential views..anyone). I know that we have the affiliate program but with the face that has a book and other social websites, a person could potentially reach 1000's or even 10's of thousands of views and sales costing R0 (Besides the one two odd affiliate new registrations) to BoB. Lets see how...

How would this work?

Easy

Seller A decides to set a CPS (Cost per Sale) value of his choice (Say R5 for argument sake) for advertisers to post on social networks etc

Buyer B sees a nice deal, posts it on his website, now through that link (Tracked by cookies or however the powers that be do it) he gets 100 buyers for that item. This guy made R500 by promoting another sellers listings (which the seller will pay somehow either automatically by bob or something after a 30 day period in case of SNC's etc) + an added bonus is that if he found some new registrations, he scores with affiliate money as well.

Just throwing it out there to see what others think :)

And that's my 2cents for the day

wayjen

Is there a way that BoB can pick up our duplicates and delete them for us?

JANDS

Being green in many ways, is there a "Save favourite seller" option anywhere?

JANDS

Regarding a chatroom, one can text very efficiently on skype in a room. It takes one skyper to set up a room and those who know each other can be added. If anyone is interested, I dont mind starting the ball rolling. Please pm me on my account here. It is low on resources texting as opposed to talking or vid chat.

JANDS

I am afraid that in the deluge, suggestions might have gotten lost and that admin, with enough on their plate, might not get to read and consider a lot of this. I dont know about the rest of you, but personally I would love it if we could have a record of past prices achieved, giving us sellers a realistic guideline of what is fair price absorption. Perhaps this could be done with a bottom end price starting at around R200-00? I find it sad that there are sites which actually charge a monthly fee for accessing auction prices, when we have a myriad of sales, that if saved, could give us all an excellent reference of SA prices on various goods. Just the main photo for a reference.

Is this feasible people?

DIY PRODUCTS

My suggestion of something that I would love to see on this site is the same thing that ebay has where a seller can list an item in stock on an auction and include the alternative that the buyer can either bid on the item or just plain buy it at the rate the seller has listed, all from the same listing. I understand that the "simple" solution is to have 1 item on auction and another of the same on a buy now, but if a seller only has 1 of a certain item it would be great to take the calculated risk on the auction but still have a fair chance of making the sale for the price you want. Would Bid or Buy be open to this?

InfiIT

Ok, my one, what if we had a seller "status message" option where the seller can put up a status alerting all his buyers and potential buyers of something or the other like say: I'm going to the moon, be back in a week, hang in there, your items will be posted upon my return, or wait until i get back to make payment etc etc

wayjen

A question and a suggestion.

We received an email stating that my inbox was full and I need to delete the contents, well the contents were deleted but where is the pending message?

How does the system work when a message sent cannot be received by the receiver, where does it go? Can the message not be sent as soon as the box is empty or do we have to contact the sender to resend?

Can we maybe have a link that calls in the pending emails on the server or something?