Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

BoB's Server and our pictures.

wayjen

If BoB has a server or servers and they hold all our pictures on them can we delete these pictures off or computers?

I take it that if we delete these pictures off our computers and BoB servers crash we will lose those pictures.

The reason for my question is that some of us have small computers when it comes to harddrive space (gigs) and our computers will become sluggish with all the pictures we are filling our harddrives up with.

lilythepink

Oh no. Do NOT delete your pictures whatever you do. BoB only keep the pictures for a very limited period. Save them to a CD disc but do not delete them from your life!

MacMuffin

Agreed - if you have issues with storage get your self an external USB harddrive - the smaller ones go for a few hundred bucks.

Alternatively you can save your pictures online (but then possibly for the world to see) - i.e. http://picasaweb.google.com/home or Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing.

At BoB we will delete images if they have not accessed in 60 days (meaning that no one looked at your auctions). In the next 4 weeks we will increase this limit to 180 days or longer. If one of our server crashes we have backups and redundancy and images will not be lost because of a crash (unless a nuclear bomb hits Gauteng)

lilythepink
If one of our server crashes we have backups and redundancy and images will not be lost because of a crash (unless a nuclear bomb hits Gauteng)

That would be a case of "heaven preserve us!" :P

wayjen

aah ha i just wondered if you were on MacMuffin so thanks for the feedback and you too miss lily. the thing was i by accident clicked on the "browse server " button when i was busy setting up an auction and saw a list of my pictures there. I also thought my DVD writer was broken and i found it to be working so i thought i might try copy all my pictures to disc just in case my pc crashes.

oh yes i do have a Picasa web album account so that might be another option too.

wayjen
Agreed - if you have issues with storage get your self an external USB harddrive - the smaller ones go for a few hundred bucks.

Alternatively you can save your pictures online (but then possibly for the world to see) - i.e. http://picasaweb.google.com/home or Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing.

At BoB we will delete images if they have not accessed in 60 days (meaning that no one looked at your auctions). In the next 4 weeks we will increase this limit to 180 days or longer. If one of our server crashes we have backups and redundancy and images will not be lost because of a crash (unless a nuclear bomb hits Gauteng)

...and if I look at my own auction will that help?

MacMuffin
...and if I look at my own auction will that help?

yes it will, but you have something like 7000 images uploaded on BoB - this will take a while and a rainy weekend ;)

wayjen

ha ha ha it's not like i am going anywhere.

MacMuffin
ha ha ha it's not like i am going anywhere.

BTW - you don't happen to be the "ancient astronaut" at some other forum? (if it doesn't ring a bell, just ignore it)

admin

Hi MacMuffin,

Please do not get Wayne started on his "other" forum, once he starts he does not stop :P

MacMuffin
Hi MacMuffin,

Please do not get Wayne started on his "other" forum, once he starts he does not stop :P

haha - would be funny if he is --- I saw some truly funny video of his a few weeks/month back ;)

wayjen
BTW - you don't happen to be the "ancient astronaut" at some other forum? (if it doesn't ring a bell, just ignore it)

hey thats me whats your handle that side?

wayjen

don't listen to Andries he is a bad seed. :D

MacMuffin
hey thats me whats your handle that side?

uh - now I don't want to give that one away - it's good to have a double-identity and to be a bit schizophrenic ;)

wayjen

hmmm a conundrum it seems.

lilythepink

Wayne gets around in his trolley, I tell you. His "other" forum doesn't always recognize him when the bag ladies are chasing himand the dogs are chasing the lot of them!

MacMuffin
Wayne gets around in his trolley, I tell you. His "other" forum doesn't always recognize him when the bag ladies are chasing himand the dogs are chasing the lot of them!

please do share - there is clearly some interesting history I managed to miss. But this is still vividly in my mind: Goji Berry Shaik - :o

wayjen

skinner bekker!!!!!!!!!!!

lilythepink

Thanks for the info, MacMuffin. NOW I understand why Wayne consorts with the bag ladies!! LOL

@MacMuffin - if Andries hasn't deleted all those "precious" threads about Wayne and his trolley - take a look and you'll be rolling in the aisles. :P

wayjen

jeez don't get him going lily it's enough he got his hands on my video.

MacMuffin
jeez don't get him going lily it's enough he got his hands on my video.

I need to really get in touch with Andries and check out that trolley story - sounds rather interesting and entertaining :D

wayjen

step away from my trolly.