Sign in to follow this  
DennisPM

Tracking number delays

DennisPM    10
DennisPM

Hi

How soon after paying for an item is it reasonable to expect the seller to dispatch it and to advise a tracking number. Some sellers just never send a tracking number at all unless you send a few emails and receive snotty replies. Sellers expect payment within 3 days; surely buyers can expect the same timeframes in respect of dispatch?

What a number of sellers do not realise is that most buyers use the tracking number as confirmation that their order is in progress. It also saves unnecessary emails and trips to the Post Office.

BTW is it a must for sellers to provide a tracking number or is it just an indicator of professional service? I for one have decided not to buy any further items from sellers who do not provide tracking numbers.

Am I just being too pedantic and expecting too much?

Perhaps BoB could provide a selling tool that sellers can use to advise their customers of dispatch and tracking details and warn sellers if they have not communicated the info to their customers. But then again if sellers don't use it or ignore the warning messages it doesn't help much.

Just feeling Seacom-ish negative today:):)

Regards

Dennis

voldermort    10
voldermort

Hi

Most sellers do say in their ads exactly when they post items eg:Mondays, Wednesdays etc. In the instances where they don't state a time frame I would imagine though that 3 days or so after payment is received would be about right, longer than that & I would send an email asking if item has yet been sent.

Re: Tracking numbers - perhaps when you complete your order online add a note requesting that tracking number be provided and once again when you do the payment.

I don't think providing a tracking number is compulsory and yet I think almost every seller on BoB does - from a sellers point of view it is viewed as proof that your item has indeed been sent and is in transit.

Regards

DennisPM    10
DennisPM

Thanks Samantha. I agree with what you are saying and have no complaints about the service from Voldemort:):)

The problem occurs when you receive no tracking number even after you requested one, no seller ratings, and no confirmation messages. In short everything goes dead for a week or two and then suddenly it is at the Post Office after two weeks of waiting or so..... Very irritating.

When queried, I get the following excuses for delays from sellers:

• "Ooops so sorry - I somehow forgot to send your order" (forgiven, but what if I had not checked after 2 weeks?)
  • "Sorry for the delay - had some other chores to do first" (I have got this one from the same seller on two different delayed deliveries - he won't be getting any more orders from me!!
  • After waiting 10 days for some sign of life, I got this reply "Don't know what your problem is - be patient, I sent it some time ago" when I eventually received it, I checked the posting date and found that it was dispatched on the day after I got the message. Won't be getting more orders from me.

The majority of sellers I buy from are professional and communicate with the buyer. On average, I have about 10 outstanding orders (stamps, books, collectibles) somewhere in the system at any given moment in time and it will be so for the foreseeable future. Seller/buyer communications are vital to keep track of what is happening especially with the inefficient local PO that I deal with. To make my life easier, I will in future not buy from sellers who cannot communicate - just don't have the patience and time to manage them.

Perhaps what I am saying is that non-communicative sellers should take heed of the fact that buyers may be ignoring them after one purchase. Selling online is no different to selling offline in a shop. Treat your customers professionally and with courtesy and they will come back time and time again.....

Regards

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

As a seller I stipulate the "next postage dates" in my shipping section and try to adhere to these dates, give and take a day either way as things do crop up from time to time.

The first sign that a buyer gets from me that their order is being processed is when the rating goes through - that means that the payment has been allocated and the order is in the cash book. This is done every day with the exception of weekends and public holidays (family time).

The second sign is the tracking number email which is emailed to the buyer within 24 hours of the parcel being dispatched.

If there are unexpected delays which would set me back more than a day or two in dispatching the parcel, then an apology for delay email gets sent out explaining the situation and possible duration of delay.

As a buyer, I have come across all sorts of sellers - those who are professional and keep their customer's informed, and those who don't! I have had a few rather frustrating experiences with my last few purchases, and have decided not to continue supporting those sellers (various reasons including excessive delays with zero communication).

I guess that you get the good sellers along with the bad ones where ever you go... Just the good ones will outlast the others.

ziggy2000    10
ziggy2000

The way I see it, sending a tracking number concludes the sale, and a little courtesy to thank buyers for their support.

voldermort    10
voldermort
Thanks Samantha. I agree with what you are saying and have no complaints about the service from Voldemort:):)

The problem occurs when you receive no tracking number even after you requested one, no seller ratings, and no confirmation messages. In short everything goes dead for a week or two and then suddenly it is at the Post Office after two weeks of waiting or so..... Very irritating.

When queried, I get the following excuses for delays from sellers:

• "Ooops so sorry - I somehow forgot to send your order" (forgiven, but what if I had not checked after 2 weeks?)
  • "Sorry for the delay - had some other chores to do first" (I have got this one from the same seller on two different delayed deliveries - he won't be getting any more orders from me!!
  • After waiting 10 days for some sign of life, I got this reply "Don't know what your problem is - be patient, I sent it some time ago" when I eventually received it, I checked the posting date and found that it was dispatched on the day after I got the message. Won't be getting more orders from me.

The majority of sellers I buy from are professional and communicate with the buyer. On average, I have about 10 outstanding orders (stamps, books, collectibles) somewhere in the system at any given moment in time and it will be so for the foreseeable future. Seller/buyer communications are vital to keep track of what is happening especially with the inefficient local PO that I deal with. To make my life easier, I will in future not buy from sellers who cannot communicate - just don't have the patience and time to manage them.

Perhaps what I am saying is that non-communicative sellers should take heed of the fact that buyers may be ignoring them after one purchase. Selling online is no different to selling offline in a shop. Treat your customers professionally and with courtesy and they will come back time and time again.....

Regards

Thank you Dennis. In an instance such as you described where I have requested and not received a tracking number/ very little or no communication I would also not buy again from such a seller.

As you very rightly say, selling online is no different at all from selling in a shop and if the seller cannot be bothered to send me a tracking number especially if I have requested one, then I cannot be bothered to spend my money at this particular "shop"

Regards :)

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI All,

I just naturally thought the majority of sellers would ensure that the communiction is imperative. I despatch within a day of payment unless held back to combine of course and always email the tracking no.immediately.Even if you cannot despatch due to reasons then inform your buyer as such.Nothing worse than sending emails and not even the courtesy of a reply.

I seldom buy but i did so on the 30 june-I paid eft 1 july and speed service,expecting at least to be despatched by monday 5th july-Not happening, no tracking number and 3 emails and no reply yet-Thats poor service!!!yet this seller has 100% ratings and compliments on fast despatch-AM i being impatient??

NEIL

Asha Craft Jewellery    10
Asha Craft Jewellery

I think the new selling tool will make things easier and speed up the whole process. However if a seller doesn't send tracking nrs via email, why would they start now and send it via Bidorbuy? It comes down to basic service. I expect a tracking nr within 3 working days of making payment for my purchase. So I use the same mentality as a seller. I pre-allocate tracking nrs, so sometimes buyers get their tracking nrs within a few hours of making payment. And they certainly appreciate the effort. I mean... really.. your business is important, but without returning customers, you might as well stop wasting everyone's time. Give your buyers the respect and communication they deserve, and they will treat you as a seller like gold!!

DennisPM    10
DennisPM
HI All,

I just naturally thought the majority of sellers would ensure that the communiction is imperative. I despatch within a day of payment unless held back to combine of course and always email the tracking no.immediately.Even if you cannot despatch due to reasons then inform your buyer as such.Nothing worse than sending emails and not even the courtesy of a reply.

I seldom buy but i did so on the 30 june-I paid eft 1 july and speed service,expecting at least to be despatched by monday 5th july-Not happening, no tracking number and 3 emails and no reply yet-Thats poor service!!!yet this seller has 100% ratings and compliments on fast despatch-AM i being impatient??

NEIL

Neil, I have always regarded the way you handle your customers as professional and the benchmark that I rate other sellers against.

It would appear to me from the comments in this thread that sellers should communicate with the buyers regarding delivery even if it is not compulsory. What is also very clear is that most buyers boycott sellers who don't professionally communicate.

I wonder how many of the "guilty"sellers will read this thread??

Thanks for all the comments...

Dennis

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

When I receive payment from a buyer, I immediately rate him/her and advise the date of postage in the rating section, saying I will send the tracking number in an email as soon as the item has been posted. I have found this to be a most effective way of keeping buyers happy.