Sign in to follow this  
BeadsandBaubles

Something different.

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Lovely - went to visit a friend yesterday and saw something she had made for their braai area. She was sick and tired of his collection of old CD/DVD's, covered them all in sticky glue, dipped them in (fishtank) fine sand, drilled holes on the edges, and linked them all together with "bloudraad". On each link she placed a large rough wooden "bead" she had made by slicing up a dried branch. Wow, sounds simple I know, but the effect is absolutely stunning and two sides of their braai area is covered with this screen. Something hi-tech that can look so natural and blends well in a garden..! It's amazing what crafty hands can do.

retailrush    10
retailrush
Lovely - went to visit a friend yesterday and saw something she had made for their braai area. She was sick and tired of his collection of old CD/DVD's, covered them all in sticky glue, dipped them in (fishtank) fine sand, drilled holes on the edges, and linked them all together with "bloudraad". On each link she placed a large rough wooden "bead" she had made by slicing up a dried branch. Wow, sounds simple I know, but the effect is absolutely stunning and two sides of their braai area is covered with this screen. Something hi-tech that can look so natural and blends well in a garden..! It's amazing what crafty hands can do.

This sounds interesting!! What is "bloudraad" :confused: - Sorry I am a pom and need a translation please... ;)

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Bloudraad

Hi

Lol, it's a very thick (agricultural, I think) fencing wire. The name "bluewire" refers to the colour, if I am not mistaken- not really blue, but sorta metallic grey/blue.:P - is used basically everywhere for fencing.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hi B&B

I share your passion for the unusual and handcrafted. Are you artistic yourself?

RISadler    10
RISadler

"Blou-draad" is a very rigid wire used for fencing. It is very difficult to work with and not used much nowadays. I always figured it is called this, because it turns your hands blue with bruises.

Compare this to "binddraad", which is probably what was used in this case, as it is more pliable and used for tying things. It comes in various thickness and sometimes galvanised

Then there is "baaldraad", which is thick and very soft/pliable and used for tying up bales of lucerne, etc. Wonderful crafting wire, but rusts at the speed of light.

Or did I get my wires crossed?

BeadsandBaubles    10
BeadsandBaubles

Bloudraad

Hi All

Won't mention what hubby had to say after reading here ;)

Mellow'd, nah, I think I'm artistically-challenged, got lots of ideas in my head but not enough time for it all. Before the days of internet I used to play around with a few things. My favourite was leatherworking, got quite good at it, made a small fortune in early 90's selling gun holsters and belts. Unfortunately while using a scalpel when carving leather I almost cut off the top half of two of my fingers, now I have no feeling in them at all - makes for a bit of difficulty in handling certain things.

Other than that, I love handmade articles and am into recycling everything. My latest project is sticking broken beads into this very intricately shaped tree stump standing in my garden - it's starting to look quite interesting, mmm.

Also decorating my outside room ceiling with Tokreen - spray it with a gooey mix and then get the kids to lob beads and and bits of chain. I can't describe the immense fun we all have :D.

What are the rest of all you crafters busy with? This category is underused, so why not share a few ideas. Or post a few "How-To's here" - is this allowed? Let buyers know that beads and baubles are not just for making jewellery but can be put to use in a variety of ways.

Lekka Slaap, All

mellowred    10
mellowred
Mellow'd, nah, I think I'm artistically-challenged, got lots of ideas in my head but not enough time for it all.

Morning B&B, that's me too :). Except I've always been tied to a damn desk and never had much time to try anything out. My Mum is very arty and used to make leather handbags for a living back in Germiston many years ago.

My dream is to get my bum off the office chair and spend my days creating things. Most of the things I have made have turned out fine and it is such a pleasure looking at something and thinking "I made that". Far more satisfying than looking at a spreadsheet and gloating over the fact that it balances. :P

I'd love to see a photo of that ceiling. It sounds amazing.

Happy Crafting

Mandy