Sign in to follow this  
Dumble

Chathum Diffusion

Lukeness

That's a nonsensical term really. Chatham refers to a manufacturer of synthetic gemstones and diffusion is an advanced treatment process. Chances are it's just a lab created Ruby or a diffused Sapphire to give it a red colour. Synthetics will test as ruby too. Only microscopic examination or advanced testing will distinguish between the two.

Lukeness

I suspect that the seller's original supplier uses the term to mislead and the seller is unintentionally repeating the error.

I can't say whether or not the price is high without knowing what the stone REALLY is.

Dumble

Thanks for letting me know, I think I will let him know. :rolleyes:

PrimoGems

As far as I know Chathum is in the USA you need to be a pro to just be able to tell the difference between created and natural, and I don't even believe they made by Chathum because they not cheap to buy at that size. even if they created.

Dumble

After having a look at Mr Chatham's website, I see that he "grows" his stones which to me means that they are Lab created. He may be the best grower of stones which is why they can be quite expensive but unless you have proof, the stone could come from anywhere and souldn't be described as Chatham. I think 'Chatham' is the new buzz word and it should be stopped before it starts.

PrimoGems
After having a look at Mr Chatham's website, I see that he "grows" his stones which to me means that they are Lab created. He may be the best grower of stones which is why they can be quite expensive but unless you have proof, the stone could come from anywhere and souldn't be described as Chatham. I think 'Chatham' is the new buzz word and it should be stopped before it starts.

I agree totally, Chatham has been around for a long time. As for the buzz, if it's a buzz on ebay it will be a buzz on bob. I feel that everyone has an equal opportunity to sell on bob and I've been watching a few sellers for a while now and they do it over and over again. It's dishonest, but not only dishonest it is also troubling as it takes a few buyers to buy from these sellers and be conned and the buyers loose trust in all the sellers and the bid or buy system. We are all human and we all make mistakes but if you want to continue selling an item at least educate yourself(s)

We need Lukeness to point some of these sellers and issues out more regularly for us like he used to in order get hold of this problem.

Lukeness

The reason I do not as much any more is because I am now working full time in a commercial gem lab and would prefer to avoid being in a situation where I might be accused of bias.

That said I am happy to answer any questions concerning listings that I can.

shoron

Would it be possible to create an official Society of Gem Sellers and /or buyers on BOB where maybe Lukeness can be President. All members would pay a small annual membership fee and would be obliged to adhere to being honest and transparent and the rules of the Society. Lukeness can therefore offer his guidance and input to the sellers. All sellers affiliated would then display a Society logo which sellers can then be assured that they getting peace of mind when buying. If sellers still continue to buy from "non-affiliated" members are are consequently misled, then they would have only themselve's to blame. Any thoughts ?

motherearth

Chathum Diffusion - is a term used by unscrupulous sellers on Ebay for what is in fact synthetic/lab-created/man-made/fake Ruby and Sapphire.

Did the customer pay too much for this man-made stone? Do the math, they are available everywhere in Bangkok for less than R2.00 a ct!!

I would advise anyone buying Sapphires to be extremely careful, as the amount of these synthetic stones currently listed in the Sapphire section is quite disturbing!

Jeff.