Sign in to follow this  
4kids

1933 Two and Half Shillings - Opinions Please!

4kids    10
4kids

Hi Guys.

I have the following 1933 Two and Half Shillings which I plan to sent for grading. The coin has a dark tone with some blue around the legend and in the fields of the obverse. The mark behind the shoulder appears to be a recent scuff mark, not scratched though. Very tiny rim nicks which does not interfere with the looks of the coin. Have seen worse rim nicks in NGC holders.

Any comments and grade predictions would be welcomme.

532225_100629081524_33-26.jpg

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Hi Jan

A truly superior coin with out a doubt. I wonder what the blue residue is? Maybe some ink from a pen that leaked?

I cannot see if the coin has seen any circulation - if it did I would guess it will grade up to say a AU58 (I think it wil then tie for the highest graded 1933 HC?)

If it did not circulate then the sky is the limit- it looks like a reletively strong strike so a high MS can be expected?

The tiny rim marks at 5 o' clock on the obverse bothers me a bit, but hopeful they wil not prevent grading.

Holding thumbs al the way!

Pierre

coinoisseur    10
coinoisseur

Jan

I would suggest posting a picture of the coin without any enhancements using photoshop that would give a more clear picture of what the coin really looks like. There is just too much blue on the coin giving the impression that the white blance is incorrect or adjustments overdone.

Raw picture will be much better to give an opinion.

But from what I see a very nice detailed coin..........

Cheers

4kids    10
4kids

Hi Anthony.

Here are two slightly larger pictures without the enhancement. Straight from the camera with the blueish color somewhat lighter. The white balance on camera set on auto.

532225_100629171040_33-a.jpg532225_100629171242_33-b.jpg

coinoisseur    10
coinoisseur

Hi Jan

A much better picture although I would change the White Balance setting from Auto to either, Tungston or Incandecent depending on what lighting you are using. You will notice that the background you are using is white, but it still comes up blueish.

Neverthless the coin is definately AU..... The blue on the coin is definately not natural toning based on what I see from the photo, but I could be wrong. Maximum grade would be AU58, but most definately an AU55...... On enlargening the coin, I see the two pearls on the crown at the highest point missing. Not sure if it is the photo.

Needless to say, a stunning coin for a scrace year in high grade.....

Would love to know what NGC thinks..... keep us posted...

Cheers

Vertigo    10
Vertigo

hi, as a new kid in numismatics , i would send this coin for conservation to NCS, looks like a great UNC , best ungraded i have seen so far in 2/6 george V's

well done , nice coin

all the best , let us know what grade you get , i would think ms61-63 after conservation

any thoughts on this coins grade guys and gals ?

:eek:

ZARBOY    10
ZARBOY

Hi Jan

Stunning coin.... for sale???

A grade for this coin a definate AU55. Might even get AU58. Definately not natural toning and some small rim nicks stopping this coin from MS grades, but hey it's NGC, who knows???

Good luck with the grading and if you can catch NGC on a good day they will grade this coin MS. I think you can be happy with an AU55/58 grade and hope no detail - enviromental damage grade gets returned.

Keep us informed....

Thomas

4kids    10
4kids

Well so far I am happy with the responses. The coin will be going to NCS first. I also know the reason for the strange colors on the coin which is as a result of the coin being kept in an old Agiolax Tin which appears to be alluminum. There was a number of silver coins in the tin and all have the same color on them. Even the few UNC first decimal bronze pieces has a strange silvery color on them. Next NGC batch end of July and will keep you posted.

Don't stop the comments thought.

Zarboy - Perhaps for sale when it returns from NGC.

ZARBOY    10
ZARBOY
Even the few UNC first decimal bronze pieces has a strange silvery color on them.

Jan

Please post a pic of the bronze pieces with the silver colour on them....

Regards

Hans100    10
Hans100

Aaah!! the subtlety of humility - Hmmm....!! "Which Emperor wears No Clothes "

No doubt - its clearly a fake...

WHOOPS ...lets supersize! yep good copy!

scuffing eh....yes I see...

Acetelyne too hot - stick to LP gas - The sniffer dislikes blue discoloring/toning

;)

jwither    10
jwither

I agree AU and its a very nice coin regardless of whether it receives a numerical grade or not. From a financial standpoint, definitely worth having holdered even if it is "details".

4kids    10
4kids
Aaah!! the subtlety of humility - Hmmm....!! "Which Emperor wears No Clothes "

No doubt - its clearly a fake...

WHOOPS ...lets supersize! yep good copy!

scuffing eh....yes I see...

Acetelyne too hot - stick to LP gas - The sniffer dislikes blue discoloring/toning

;)

Hans, Since we do not know each other I hope it is just you having a weird sense of humor.

ECONOZONE    10
ECONOZONE

Or some weird disorder.

4kids    10
4kids
Or some weird disorder.

lol.... have you read my message signature, very fitting. But no hard feelings towards the man. One day we will meet and then we will laugh about it.. In any case. Here some more pictures of three coins that were stored in the same container as the 33 2/6 as requested by Thomas.

The copper piece has a large discolored spot which in fact is silivery in color. Shows up almost brown and green in the picture.

The other George V has a very light discolorasion gold with blue tint all over the field which does not show so nicely in the photograph.

The 56 2/- shows two blotches of Dark Blue toning.

532225_100630095615_zz.jpg532225_100630095719_bb.jpg532225_100630095757_cc.jpg532225_100630095848_dd.jpg

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
Or some weird disorder.

Craig, I think it is the latter ...

Sounds like the ramblings of a former forum member.

Whatvever, my eyes keep watering when I look at Jan's coin - hells bells, why must these beautiful things be so expensive?

Pierre

Dulal    10
Dulal
Craig, I think it is the latter ...

Sounds like the ramblings of a former forum member.

Whatvever, my eyes keep watering when I look at Jan's coin - hells bells, why must these beautiful things be so expensive?

Pierre

Hi Pierre

Because there is not too many of these beauties around. If there are too many, they would become beautihalf not beautiful.

Dulal

4kids    10
4kids

It has been some time since the orriginal post but I am happy to report and at the same time congratulate Thomas with his grade opinion of AU55 as he was right on the money with it. The coin indeed graded AU55. Second Finest known on the NGC population report.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Well done Jan and congratulations to Thomas

A glass of Champagne all around.

As you say, Thomas was "right on the money"

Recent finds like this must be few and very far between.

Congratulations again.

Pierre

PtaCoinsCollectables    10
PtaCoinsCollectables

Hi Jan - Beautiful Coin.

Pitty this man Hans spoils an Interesting Conversation between some of South Africa's most distinguished Coin Collector's. As Much as I love coins and would like to splurge my inexperienced comments I know my place.

If it was a sense of humour.... it should spend at least 3 night in Jail!

all the best with the Grading.

Regards

Clinton

PtaCoinsCollectables    10
PtaCoinsCollectables

Sorry Jan - I havnt been on here for a while! Just saw now that It already graded!

Congrads! Enjoy it and stare at it everyday!