Sign in to follow this  
EishGK

1931 Coinage

EishGK

I have a complete collection of UNION coins including the 1931 silvers. Most of the coins are well used but I am am happy with just prodding along upgrading when I come across better quality specimens.

A year or so ago, I managed to buy a failry complete Union set again for my son who is also an avid collector. He is almost there (WITH DADS' FINANCIAL BACKING OFF COURSE!!!) but the 1931 silvers are eluding him. I purchased a 1931 shilling for the set but that was a long time ago. While searching the web, my son came across all the 1931 silvers available on e-bay but as we know these are all fakes and at least the seller was honest enough to list them as replicas. But he can 'supply' the coin without the word 'replica' on them. Needless to say, I refused my sons calling to buy them. My son however did put forward a compelling argument. He maintains that I should buy the coins just as fillers untill he can find original coins, if he ever does get to see other orignal coins that is! I am totally against this but as I consider his argument, the thought is quite a logical one and is quite compelling too.

My question is - Is this an ethical option to buy fake coins as fillers? Or should we simply play the waiting game untill a coin becomes available?

I would love to hear the views of fellow numismatics.

Thnaks

Hassim

Pinkx

1931 Fakes

Hi Hassim

I have a set of 1931 replica's and I know of quite a few others who have too.

Firstly, they do make great fillers until the real coin comes along. And make a good party trick for the novice collector who want to see your collection ...

But also more importantly (I believe), one needs to handle and learn about these replica's so you can easily tell the difference between a replica and the real thing. Simply looking at the picture on eBay is not enough. So I would think that it presents a good learning opportunity (and a cheap one at that) for you and your son to handle a replica or two.

I have shown and also supplied a few of the dealers around Joburg with such 1931 replicas, and we have discussed and assessed them amongst ourselves. At the moment, the 2/- and 2/6 replica's are currently not that good and can be easily distinguised as fake, but the 1/- replica has improved over the last few attempts to a point where even the weight is almost exactly the same as the real 1/-. So in time, once a few of the other flaws have been ironed out, it will be extremely difficult to tell the difference between a replica and a real 1/-.

cheers

Stephen van Niekerk

Little Miss Muffet

Finding a 1931 tickey is like looking for a needle in a haystack.:rolleyes:

EishGK
Finding a 1931 tickey is like looking for a needle in a haystack.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it - I recently aquired over 30kg of union coins, the bulk being tickeys. It took me almost 24 hours in total thus far to sort out the various periods (KGV, KGIV, QE and RSA 5c) and having just gone through all the KGV tickeys - NO 1931 TICKEY! But of all the KGV tickeys, I have around 100 tickeys of which no date is vissible and I just wonder if there are any 1931 tickeys lost in there? Is there a way of lifting a date that is worn away? I wonder:rolleyes:

EishGK

Thanks Stephen - This is one of the reasons I dont want to even consider buying the fake. I believe that it may take the fun out of the 'hunt' when searching for the rarities. I think I may loose the interest in searching for the real thing if I have an almost indistiguishable 'fake'. But - it is still a viable option considering that it may well be imposible to assemble a 1931 set in one lifetime. A scary thought indeed!

Regards

Hassim

Little Miss Muffet

I am sure you know that the 1931 S.A. coins only came in sets and unless someone or a child needed a tickey badly, then only, could one have gone into circulation.

I have heard that only two sets are unaccounted for so "Needle in a haystack"

coinoisseur
I am sure you know that the 1931 S.A. coins only came in sets and unless someone or a child needed a tickey badly, then only, could one have gone into circulation.

Not true, there were 128 coins in total that were minted for the 1931 3d. Of this, 62 were issued in sets (Proof) and the balance of 68 went into circulation....

Cheers

Guest Guest

Hi Anthony

Yes that's my understanding as well.

Wonder who was stupid enough to put them into circulation though?

There again maybe a slabbed VG 1931 tickey is worth more than a slabbed 1931 proof because it is "rarer"?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Little Miss Muffet

Yes was looking up the total in my book last night and I was a bit off the mark. Nevertheless,of the 1931 sets I have heard that only 2 sets are not accounted for but I am only quoting someone else.

Would certainly be a gem to find one. Maybe one of us has one buried in our garden

Guest Guest

If you carry on like this geewhizz you will have me digging up dunnies (backyard long drops) again! I am getting too old now..

Kind regards

Scott Balson

jwither
Yes was looking up the total in my book last night and I was a bit off the mark. Nevertheless,of the 1931 sets I have heard that only 2 sets are not accounted for but I am only quoting someone else.

Would certainly be a gem to find one. Maybe one of us has one buried in our garden

I would like to know where your information on these 1931 sets comes from. I have asked questions about the 1931 silver many times here and no one has answered. Are you talking about the proof strikes or the circulation strikes?

From a scarcity standpoint, I consider the proofs over rated. The mintage of 62 obviously is low but they are not really that much scarcer than another set such as the 1943 and 1937. The only explanation for their current prices is that collectors consider them a quasi-substitute for the circulation strike. Otherwise, they should sell for less than every other KGV proof set except the 1923.

The circulation strikes are another matter entirely and I would be extremely surprised if 99% or more of them still exist. Personally, I do not believe it. I have only seen the 1931 2/ once (the VF coin rejected by NGC listed here last year), the tickey never and the other three a handful of times. All in low grades.

EishGK

1931 Halfcrown - Opinion on the quality please!

1128153_100715215213_KG_001.jpg

1128153_100715215253_KG_002.jpg

EishGK

1931 Florin - Opinions on Quality

1128153_100715215334_KG_003.jpg

1128153_100715215418_KG_004.jpg

EishGK

1931 Tickey - Opinion Please

The dead give away here is the reeded rim.

Can you imagine what a field day PCGS will have in court with a person who successfully grades one of these coins with them!!!! I dont think whether the person is an American or not - They will hunt him/her down and drag him/her through the court floor like a dish rag.:eek::confused::mad:

1128153_100715215500_KG_007.jpg

1128153_100715215526_KG_008.jpg