Sign in to follow this  
wharton

H.P. Lovecraft second hand books?

wharton

I am looking for books by H.P. Lovecraft, second hand and from the 80s/70s/60s or earlier. Not really looking for new editions. Also, I want the same thing of two other writers: one called Clark Ashton Smith and the other called Robert E Howard, except any edition will do. Anything by these other two writers will be fine. I will really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.

mellowred

Try sueanddaves If they don't have any listed, contact them via a question on one of their other items. They have a huge variety of books. If they do have your books Sue will list them for you.

wharton

Thanks. I will ask them. Just hoping there will be many more sellers with these books out there. They seem to be rare on BoB.

mellowred

You obviously have a great appetite for fantasy and horror. I seem to remember referring you to Sue once before?

Voldermort also has a taste for the weird and wonderful ;). Perhaps she'll respond to your post.

wharton

I got a Patricia Highsmith book from Sueanddaves a while ago, and you helped, so thanks.

Edited by wharton

mellowred
:eek: Everyone turning into brain-eating zombies is the best though. Don't get me wrong, movies are ok but books are better.

Ja well no fine :P.

Reading leaves it all up to your own imagination so the movie running in your own head is produced and directed exactly as you want it.

Don't think I'd like to step into your imagination at the wrong time tho. :cool::D

windrider

I don't mean to throw anyone's potential sales, but for both the writers the majority of their works are in public domain. Most countries consider copyright to expire 70(some 50) years after the author's death. Whilst there some works under dispute, sites like Guttenberg Project (that only deals with the out of copyright books) will have many stories by these authors.

wharton

Windrider: It doesn't matter to me that so much of the stuff is free. Thanks for the info on Guttenberg, that site is great. I've been there before, but reading books online is not so nice. For me it's about getting the nice books to have and to hold.

Edited by wharton

mellowred

I'm too old to adapt to reading online - and I can't take my PC to bed :P.

Wharton, I have a hell of an imagination - just reading this forum sets me off in fits of giggles - some of them not appropriate.

I remember reading Stephen King's Salem's Lot when I was about 19 - alone - looking after my Dad's house in Kosmos near Hartebeespoort Dam. Any one who knows the area will know the houses are (or were) separated by dense trees and shrubs. Wonderfully private when you have company. But scarily remote when alone with Steven King. I nearly burst my bladder - I was too scared to go to the loo till dawn broke.

I still sometimes have a fear of looking at an open window when alone in a room at night, and was well into my thirties before I convinced myself that it was not possible for "things" to hide under my bed.

Even at the ripe old age of 47, reading a scary novel still sets off images of tentacles whipping out and grabbing my feet as I walk past.

So I have to stick to real life psycho thrillers - for some strange reason I'm not so nervous of being attacked by a human mad man :P.

Your ants would keep me awake all night.:)

MsPlod

ebooks are good for research!

Curling up on the couch or in bed with a good solid real book! HEAVEN!!

Have run out of space in my house for books - they are piled on full bookcases and various other surfaces upstairs and down. HELP!!:P

Even better - both boys are bibliophiles too!:D

voldermort
Curling up on the couch or in bed with a good solid real book! HEAVEN!!

Have run out of space in my house for books - they are piled on full bookcases and various other surfaces upstairs and down. HELP!!:P

Even better - both boys are bibliophiles too!:D

There is nothing better than having a good old fashioned book in your hands......like MsPlod I have books everywhere and still buy more ;) my bookcases have long since overflowed and the books are now threatening to take over my home.

kebs
I am looking for books by H.P. Lovecraft, second hand and from the 80s/70s/60s or earlier. Not really looking for new editions. Also, I want the same thing of two other writers: one called Clark Ashton Smith and the other called Robert E Howard, except any edition will do. Anything by these other two writers will be fine. I will really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.

Hi there.. PM sent..

windrider

I have laptops to read from, but I agree, reading a long novel can be taxing. The earlier pulp fiction and science fiction writers excelled in short stories and since it is almost impossible to find short story anthologies that also do not cost you an arm and a leg, I personally prefer the laptop. Online works also for those books that are out-of-print, but can be downloaded as e-books. I suppose considering the amount of documents I read and type, a 23-30 page story isn't so bad.

I love books, the actual feel and the fact that one can put it down on the floor and know that nothing can damage it(unless one has an inquisitive kitten around).Still, the option of online reading is very convenient.

mellowred
....like MsPlod I have books everywhere and still buy more ;) my bookcases have long since overflowed and the books are now threatening to take over my home.

I have book shelves, boxes and piles. Listing books is time consuming but something I really want to get to. We hope to move in a few months time so all the "things" lying about really need to get sold.

Oh ... what I would give for a solid week at home with no other commitments. :(