Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

New South African Coin Grading Service

Dulal
It is my understanding that all these issues will be addressed over the following months. Personally I think that there is a lot to be done and some hard work involved in getting all these things up to scratch. The problem here is that SACGS has been banned on the forum because Herman is somewhat of a controversialist and unable to post responses on this forum but he is obviously able to read the responses and issues posted here and trust that he is taking all the negative things said and using it to his advantage in making SACGS work.

My understanding is Mr Herman talks very straightforward. I bought coin from him sometimes back. I found him very friendly and helpful.

It seems SACGS also have collectors forum section. We can discuss our concern there too.

I have SACGS graded two coins. I (a novice) am happy with grades. Also showed to a friend who has good knowledge, is in agreement with the assigned grades.

Dulal

jwither
Hi Pierre

Thanks for the info. This is great news for the market as long as the grading company has no interest in selling coins at all. They must do grading only right..

It will take at least 5 years before recognized worldwide. Maybe when the big auction houses put them up for sale.

Soon all countries will probably start grading their own coins then - makes sense but NGC and PCGS are known all over. Will take a good few years to get any grading company to that level.

I wonder who is in charge of the grading company in SA. If they are consistent in grading and have no dealing in coins, we will definitely send some coins to them for grading.

The chance of most countries having their own grading service or even the major ones anytime soon is approximately zero. You or others may not be aware of that unless you follow coins from other countries.

The reason I can arrive at this confident conclusion is because South Africa is one of the FEW markets that has a shown a preference for graded coins. You can compare the NCG and PCGS census populations between South Africa coins and other countries to confirm this statement.

What is the reason for this? I can think of possibly two. The first is that collectors simply do not like their coins in holders. The second is that most non-US coins have a limited to no "investment" market. Under those circumstances, the primary reason for having a coin graded is to verify authenticity but that would only apply to more expensive items.

jwither
Even the most powerfull, financial stable and honest compnies and ventures has a beginning without a track record. Show me the person that started out in life with an excellent track record and I'll show you "old money"

I recently bought a graded 1955 2S MS65 which was graded by SAGS here on BoB as I wanted to compare the grading with my already graded QEII 2 shillings with both NGC and PCGS. I am pleased to report that the grading is spot on against 11 coins in the same grade from the more well known companies. If I wanted to be petty I could have complained that the coin SACGS graded was overgraded by one point cosidering that the coin has a more prominent bag mark than others. However the coin makes up in it's appeal the point that would have been lost because of the bag mark i.e. somwhat better in looks than the NGC and PCGS MS65's

Now it is only one coin for comparison and many more coins would need to be compared to warrant my obeservation. I for one would certainly consider sending at least some coins for grading to SACGS based on what I have seen so far.

So I now start the begining of a track record and trust that I never get proven wrong.

Pro or con, what will ultimately determine the success or failure of this compnay is the relative market prices coin in their holders bring. If they bring roughly equivalent prices to NGC or PCGS, they can succeed. If they do not, they will almost certainly at most remain a "niche" player, even in South Africa coin grading and I'm not convinced that the volume for South African coins is enough to support such a company.

As a collector of South African coins from the United States, I can tell you right now that I would only buy a coin in an SACGS holder if 1) The coin was cheaper and possibly significantly so 2) I could inspect the coin in person prior to purchase which I almost can never do or 3) If a major auction firm that I respected was offering it. Then possibly I MIGHT pay a comporable price.

Personally, I think the odds are stacked against this company. Its not imposisble for them to succeed but it will be very difficult.

Hans100

Sacgs

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 7 characters.