Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

What is born everyday?

Pierre_Henri

The coin on auction is a DAMAGED 1893 Tickey worth R2 (its silver melting value)

The seller advertises it with an irrelevant referral to a proof 1892 3d.

Quite a number of bidders are willing to part with hundreds of rands to buy this technically worthless coin.

Why?

See link ...

Silver Coins - 1893 ZAR 3 PENCE GRADED COIN BY SACGS.a gem proof 1892 3d was sold on oction for R 65000 in the USA. for sale in Athlone

admin

Hi Pierre,

As a complete novice when it comes to numismatics, even I can see the gross misrepresentation here.

Pierre_Henri

Here we go again ....

Here the same seller is selling a VF-12 ZAR shilling

I have never heard of a grade like that that - I thought VF grades start at 20 (VF20).

How is a VF-12 grade possible?

See following Bid-or-Buy link ...

Silver Coins - 1892 ZAR SHILLING GRADED "VF-12" GRADED BY SACGS VERY LOW START @@ LOOK @@@@ for sale in Athlone

RISadler

Look, let me explain how it works... All valuable coins are graded. This coin has been graded. Therefore it is a valuable coin.

ECONOZONE

What????

Bellcoin

Wow: ouch - eina

This is the problem - mis-representation and this has been on the forum before! This buyer is just another potential loss to numismatics.

Once bitten twice shy?

EWAAN Galleries

Stick with the top 4 Grading Companies

Hi All

I think bid or buy should only allow NGC, PCGS and ICG and ANACS coins for sale just like other big coin auctioneers - they will only sell coins graded by above 4 companies as they are recognized worldwide.

For example there are currently NNC coins being advertised on bid or buy and ebay - see how ugly those coins look and they call them UNC - Very bad for the market as those coins are not close to UNC condition.

Just a way to get all this rubbish out of the market and innocent bidders getting taken for a ride.

Regards.

EWAAN Auction Galleries

Guest Guest

Slabmania

Hi EWAAN

I cannot agree with the suggestion that only slabbed coins should be sold on BoB.

It is costly to slab coins and many collectors just won't go through that cost. A good clear photo of both sides of an unslabbed coin gives an adequate representation of what a coin is like - this coupled with the reputation of the seller suffices in my mind. In need I can and do ask questions about the coin being offered for sale.

If I want a coin I will bid on it - let the buyer beware is the only slogan that matters.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Norgard

Hi

Talking about FOOLS being born every day this is still the worst one for me:

2008 Birthday R5 - *** ULTRA SCARCE *** YES !!!! - THE NGC MS61 - NELSON MANDELA 90TH BIRTHDAY R5 *** Crazy R1 Start. was sold for R20,075.00 on 9 Jun at 21:31 by Telescopic in Johannesburg

I want to make a suggestion to BoB about the "Ask the Seller about this item." link.

Could BoB not make evey question asked to remain shown in the auction even if the seller does not answer it. Also make it so that the seller can not delete the questions himself, but has to ask BoB to delete it.

In this way serious collectors can warn unsuspecting buyers about these type of mistakes and misrepresentations of items.

Let us as a Numismatic community help new collectors rather than lose them.

As BELLCOIN says "Once bitten twice shy."

Just my 2 cents worth.

EWAAN Galleries

Hi Scott

Raw coins are fine for auction of course.... I meant that for graded coins only - they must be graded by the top 4 companies.

Just against these new grading companies like NNC....

Who is behind NNC anyways?

BumbleBee
Guest Guest
Hi

2008 Birthday R5 - *** ULTRA SCARCE *** YES !!!! - THE NGC MS61 - NELSON MANDELA 90TH BIRTHDAY R5 *** Crazy R1 Start. was sold for R20,075.00 on 9 Jun at 21:31 by Telescopic in Johannesburg

I want to make a suggestion to BoB about the "Ask the Seller about this item." link.

Could BoB not make evey question asked to remain shown in the auction even if the seller does not answer it. Also make it so that the seller can not delete the questions himself, but has to ask BoB to delete it.

In this way serious collectors can warn unsuspecting buyers about these type of mistakes and misrepresentations of items.

I would be interested in how "Telescopic" arrives at an indicative market price of ZAR22000 when any coin of this type at a higher grade can be technically worn to get the same grading!

I recently paid just over ZAR100 for a MS66 graded 90th borthday coin (slabbed)

Kind regards

Scott Balson

eZethu Coins
Hi All

I think bid or buy should only allow NGC, PCGS and ICG and ANACS coins for sale just like other big coin auctioneers - they will only sell coins graded by above 4 companies as they are recognized worldwide.

For example there are currently NNC coins being advertised on bid or buy and ebay - see how ugly those coins look and they call them UNC - Very bad for the market as those coins are not close to UNC condition.

Just a way to get all this rubbish out of the market and innocent bidders getting taken for a ride.

Regards.

EWAAN Auction Galleries

Although the above grading companies can be considered the more credible ones, should we start limiting graded coins sold to be theirs only, I would have to point out that at least NGC should be dropped from the list - with some of the recent lower grade (MS specifically) that they have been pumping out and are sold here on BoB, I have to start questioning their credibility. I have personally bought one here on BoB and saw several others graded as MS with clear rim nicks and/or scratches.

So - I'm not saying that we should limited what is sold in this regard - just be much more cautious and "buy the coin and not the grade" (to quote another BoBer).

BumbleBee

This thread started with referal to a listing for a 1893 3 pence.

1893 ZAR 3 PENCE GRADED COIN BY SACGS.a gem proof 1892 3d was sold on oction for R 65000 in the USA.

This seller sold a 1893 3 pence with a mintage of 135444 that did not grade despite the listing heading for way more than its worth, if it graded F it would only be worth R475.

The seller clearly misled bidders with the reference to the 1892 proof 3 pence with a low mintage of only 30 coins in proof that sold for R65000, which incidentally has a book value of R55000.

I have just repeated everything that Pierre Henri has stated highlighting the important bits. Regardless of who grades what, what is going to be done with sellers that clearly misrepresent buyers like this?

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI Bumblebee-Quite right,misrepresentation should be considered as totally unacceptable.The seller cannot even read a catalogue??he says coin is very fine and then quotes herns unc value at R800-the v.f value is R90-dishonest,visually impaired,incompetent or genuine mistake??,neil

BumbleBee

Neil, if you read the question and answer section of that listing we can rule out "mistake"

Rare NotesCoins

Did I read impotent? Bad I know, just cant get up this morning

Dulal
Hi All

Regards.

EWAAN Auction Galleries

Not bad idea but

We witnessed a lot of mistake by NGC on bidorbuy, somethinglike wrong date,nickel R1 as SR1 and grading inconsistency,omitting PRESDENTIAL INNAGURATION on 1994 SR1, PL as proof etc.

Dulal

Dulal
Hi

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thats the way it should be. Otherwise seller stay way answering those questions which they are not comfortable to answer (feeling of loss). Bidorbuy should also enforce a rule that untill and unless all questions are answered auction can not be closed.

Dulal

Dulal

I recently paid just over ZAR100 for a MS66 graded 90th borthday coin (slabbed)

Kind regards

Scott Balson

HI Scott

I hope mam at home did not saw it yet.

Dulal

qball

Hi All

The seller in question has been notified about the title and requested not to list the items in this manner.

Kind regards

Cuan

RISadler
We witnessed a lot of mistake by NGC on bidorbuy, somethinglike wrong date,nickel R1 as SR1 and grading inconsistency,omitting PRESDENTIAL INNAGURATION on 1994 SR1, PL as proof etc.

Just how difficult is it to open these "containers" and then replace the coin with one of lower quality?

Dulal
Just how difficult is it to open these "containers" and then replace the coin with one of lower quality?

atleast not with Mandela 90th birthday MS61.

Dulal

Dulal

Soon to be 92 years old got reason to keep on smiling atleast.

Dulal