Why can't we view Personal Offers?

meeks
Why can't we view Personal Offers?

Maybe, because it is "Personal"?

RISadler

No response from the BoB team?

qball

Hi

Are you referring to viewing personal offers made to you or made by you?

Thanks

Cuan

RISadler

No. I am referring to when one views the ratings given to sellers and then click on an item to see more details (e.g. for how much it sold), the system says that I am not allowed to view this personal offer.

qball

Hi

If the personal offer is not made to you, you won't be able to view it, this is a permissions based issue on the system.

Kind regards

Cuan

RISadler

Obviously, but why?

qball

Honestly, no-one knows, it's a legacy thing from the original system... :)

We are not sure what the reason is behind this, it's just always been like this...

RISadler

Ah, OK. I was just wondering, because I've seen some "personal offers" that looked mighty suspect, but without being able to view them I couldn't say for sure.

MsPlod

Me too...

Ah, OK. I was just wondering, because I've seen some "personal offers" that looked mighty suspect, but without being able to view them I couldn't say for sure.

Do you mean as being payback for favours done? Have also seen a number of these in the ratings of one or two of the more shady dealers... Have often wondered about it!

Thanks for pursuing the issue.;)

RISadler

I see this frequently regarding photographic equipment... guy buys a high-end DSLR and then a week or so later when you check his ratings you see one for the camera and another one for a quality lens from the same seller. Clicking on the lens auction you just receive the no-go personal offer screen.

I once, just per chance, came across an auction for a spectacular lens open for one hour late at night (more like very early morning), opening bid R1 and a reserve price. Obviously a method to circumvent the BoB fee structure. Guy bids R1, auction manually closed with no winners (reserve not met) and personal offer issued. Buyer pays full price to seller, as per arrangement. Community cannot see this, as "personal offer" blocks tracebacks.

RISadler

Here's an example:

Buyer amd0001 bought a Canon EOS 450D camera : Digital SLR - ***BRAND NEW*** Canon XSi 450D 18-55mm iS was sold for R5,700.00 on 30 Dec at 22:31 by Coza1Digital in Naboomspruit

Same buyer also received a rating from the same seller for a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens, which we cannot view : Login Page

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

admin

A seller can only make a personal offer to the runner up bidder for the amount that the runner up bid on the original auction. All you have to do is find the original item and you can see what the personal offer amount was ;)

RISadler
A seller can only make a personal offer to the runner up bidder for the amount that the runner up bid on the original auction. All you have to do is find the original item and you can see what the personal offer amount was ;)

Sorry, but you're wrong. I've had auctions close where the highest bid was still below the reserve price and the system allowed me to make a "personal offer" to the highest (only?) bidder.

admin

Thats what I said, you can make a personal offer to the bidder only for the amount that he bid, not more or less. If the auction had a winner, you can find it and see what the amount was, if it ended without the reserve met you will not be able to see it as it will not be under the sellers sold items, except if you bookmarked the auction. ;)

You can make a personal offer to any bidder if the reserve was met or not.

RISadler

Right, but what I am getting at is that sellers are using this "feature" to make off-site deals.

Example: I win an auction for a camera and then (via email/telephone) say to Seller-X that I also want a certain lens. Seller-X says A-OK, the price is R10K. For some reason (probably the extra positive rating) he wishes the transaction to go through BoB, but he doesn't want to pay a success fee on the R10K. So he lists the lens on BoB for R10 with a reserve of R12,50 at 0400 in the morning for one hour/until I bid. Since I just equal the opening amount, the auction closes without winners (reserve not met). Seller-X makes me a personal offer of R10 (my bid amount) and I accept. Obviously I EFT the full R10K over to his bank account... I am happy (got lens), Seller-X is happy (got R10K), but BoB loses a significant success fee.

If the "personal offers" were viewable by the community, then we could see and report these things.

admin

I get what you are saying, but can hardly see anyone going through all that just to get a positive rating, especially one selling high priced items, he can just buy a couple of beads at 40c or ebook at R1 to get easy positives.

RISadler

It's just the fact that we (the community) cannot view these "personal offers" that makes me somewhat suspicious.

EWAAN Galleries

Discrete Auctions better for Bid or Buy

Hi All

Now that the discrete auctions are completely discrete, this will be much better for bid or buy...

We are tired of a certain sellers who watch out who is bidding on our auctions, and then they actually somehow get buyers details and offer them same items at lower prices and doing deals off bid or buy....

This will definitely increase revenues for bid or buy - excellent work :)

Shame to those sellers who cant do their funny things anymore..... We have proof from buyers that other sellers offer them items after they see them bidding on our items...

Things should be kept discrete and we should be loyal to bid or buy as we met the client through bid or buy....

Next step - sellers should not be allowed to give telephone numbers out.... everything goes through bid or buy then :)

ATA STAMP CENTRE

HI,although therE are valid points about discreet auctions i remain unconvinced and am still circumspect about bidding on them.My problem is when rubbish is advertised with discreet listing and what should sell for about R 200 is suddenly R800 and then the same or similar goods are continously offered-

If you check the ratings on these sales only one of about 10 sales has been rated??also discreet so i cannot see who it is.This makes it difficult for me to trust these discreet listings.

Another point is that i get premium prices for my products as my buyers are very confident in buying from me.However i have seen the same item i sell is listed by another seller with discreet listing and even though his ratings are not near as good as mine this item suddenly exceeds my selling price by about 40 %-No way!!is that a genuine bid??I think not-

These are the reasons i and many others with a bit of tacky seriously mistrust and refuse to bid on discreet auctions!!NEIL

RISadler

Neil, I agree. If the bidding is "discreet", then how can the community identify shillbidders?

admin

Hi All,

bidorbuy made the discreet bidding totally discreet now and the decision was taken that it will stay that way. Whether we like it or not, we have to accept it. Please stick to the topic about personal offers.

Thank you ;)

Coza1

Hi, the Canon 450D with 18-55mm iS lens does very well when a 75-300mm lens is added. If you know anything about photography it makes real good sense.

Here's an example:

Buyer amd0001 bought a Canon EOS 450D camera : Digital SLR - ***BRAND NEW*** Canon XSi 450D 18-55mm iS was sold for R5,700.00 on 30 Dec at 22:31 by Coza1Digital in Naboomspruit

Same buyer also received a rating from the same seller for a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens, which we cannot view : Login Page

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

RISadler
Hi, the Canon 450D with 18-55mm iS lens does very well when a 75-300mm lens is added. If you know anything about photography it makes real good sense.

Whether or not I know anything about photographic equipment is irrelevant. Your sale was merely an example and not intended to be accusational.

BTW, IMHO, the best lens combination for Canon is the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM lens and either the EF 24mm f/2.8 lens or the EF 28mm f/2.8 lens.

Also, I'm looking for a Canon 35mm f/2 lens. Nobody has stock. Do you have one?

Wizard Sales

Here is the reason personal offers are not viewable by other members.

Lets say you sell an item on auction for R1500. You have multiple units of that item in stock, and so you make a personal offer for all bidders from R1000 upwards as you can still make a profit at that price.

You still have more of the item, and relist for the next auction.

Now let's say everyone can view the prices of the personal offers which were purchased by the runners up. Buyers see that and can then see they will probably receive a personal offer at R1000, and therefore will not bid higher than that.

The seller then loses out on what could have been a higher priced sale, as buyers can see that they can get the item cheaper by waiting for a personal offer from the seller for R1000.

That is my opinion on personal offers, and it makes a lot of sense to me.