Sign in to follow this  
co_bra

1931 Tickey SA Union

co_bra

Hallo to the experts.

With regards to a 1931 Tickey (threepence).

I understand all the details in Hern's handbook down to the value at F (Fine) of R15000. I also note it's rarity at only 128 minted.

My question is how do I put a value to the coin under fine to PR (Poor)? and as I do not know grading what do I do to classify it into a class?

All comments and assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

Co_bra

4kids

Hi Co_bra

A well worn 1931 Tickey sold for R 70 000.00 recently in graded form of VG "Very Good" The mintage figure of 128 you mention include the Proof sets which means the bussiness strike or circulation coins was a mere 66 pieces. An extremely rare coin and in even the most comprehensive collections the absence of a bussiness strike piece is seen.

A number of 1931 silver pieces from the 3d to the 2/6 ended up with third party grading services and few graded with 90 percent rejected as problem coins, i.e. cleaned or damaged scratched etc. If you in fact owns such a coin, i would suggest you consider having it graded before considering to sell.

Guest Guest

1931 UNC tickey

Back in the late 1970s the late Dr Frank Mitchell let me hold (pre-slab) the UNC 1931 tickey that he had found. I held the coin between my fingers. We had an evening together at his Cape Town home not long after the publication of "Kence". Frank told me how he used to buy bag full of coins every day in the 1940s etc and spend the evening going through them looking for that special piece. That is how he found the 1931 UNC tickey!

I wonder where it is now?

Kind regards

Scott Balson

jwither
Hi Co_bra

A well worn 1931 Tickey sold for R 70 000.00 recently in graded form of VG "Very Good" The mintage figure of 128 you mention include the Proof sets which means the bussiness strike or circulation coins was a mere 66 pieces. An extremely rare coin and in even the most comprehensive collections the absence of a bussiness strike piece is seen.

A number of 1931 silver pieces from the 3d to the 2/6 ended up with third party grading services and few graded with 90 percent rejected as problem coins, i.e. cleaned or damaged scratched etc. If you in fact owns such a coin, i would suggest you consider having it graded before considering to sell.

Any of these coins would be worth having in either the old NCS holder or the new NGC "Details" holder just to authenticate them. I would not be a buyer of an ungraded coin except a very conservative price.